Shoes making shin splints worse?

the_robmeister

Reaction score
I have had shin splints for a while now and i left them to heel, but they wasnt getting any better despite not running. Well yesterday i went for my first run in ages and today my leg felt better untill i finished work when my leg was hurting again.

And finnaly i realise i think its my work shoes that have been stopping it healing. Im on my feet all day walking about and my shoes have nothing more than a piece of wood between my heel and the floor.

Could it be this that is causing it or stopping it from healing? Any opinions appreciated

p.s i have posted this on mfat too to get as much response as i can, just incase anyone is on both sites and reads this twice :twisted:

JK

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
piece of wood?, buy a shoe sole for some exra comfort ;)

shin splints do take a while to heal, make sure your running with proper running shoes on.

the_robmeister

Reaction score
Im just going to get a new pair tomorrow.
Where as alot of shoes have a rubber heel, mine is wood, and has no real sole to it. After a couple of months of shin splints, seeing a physio and doing the exercises prescribed, i knew there had to be something else wrong and i think this could be it

the_robmeister

Reaction score
Thats just what i have done PA, i have now also brought a new pair of shoes with a better heel and my leg feels ok after working today :D

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Shoes

If you have injuries to your feet, legs or knees I would recommend hush puppie shoes or something similar that has a cushioned sole. It does help with recovery and reduces the chance of further aggrevating an injury.

Regards

Steve