Should Donald Trump get UK state visit?

Rover

Reaction score
Johnny Mercer: the special relationship will outlast Trump, it’s about people.

Johnny Mercer 2 hours Friday December 1st 2017 Special relationship in tatters?

Give me a break. I listened intently into the radio. I had just cleared PEDRO 66 through my airspace as she transited north over me in Nad E Ali on an emergency mission. PEDRO 66 was the callsign for the US equivalent of the British Medical Evacuation Response Team or MERT – a pair of Blackhawk Helicopters with some fearless Americans onboard. They were flying into an intense gunfight to rescue a British Royal Marine in Sangin, north of where I was.

The bravery of these guys was astonishing. They flew into anything. They’d picked up casualties of mine before. They seemed to fly in a circle above the casualty whilst the contact continued, deafening me with their rotor-blades at only 30 feet or so, before landing right next to me and the casualty, still in contact with the enemy. Unlike me they ignored the gunfire and ignored the enemy, so intent were they on saving life. British life. They always signed off in the same way. “So long brother” as I sent them on their way.

And brothers they were. That day PEDRO 66 was hit by an RPG in the tail. Four medics were killed instantly and the airframe burst into flames. Marines from 40 Commando crashed out of their base immediately and conducted an excruciating rescue mission. They crawled in and amongst the burning airframe as the .50 cal machine gun ammunition started cooking off.

A young marine performed an emergency tracheotomy on the pilot who had a massive head injury. Air fuel was running and igniting everywhere; the Marines carried on regardless. The special relationship outlasts any presidency:

Donald Trump is a bizarre individual. In his mind he stands tall, shoulder to shoulder with these US/UK Marines in the war on terror. In his head he thinks real men like this stand around cracking “locker-room” banter, talking about groping women and making fun of disabled people. He is as far removed from the special relationship as I could possibly imagine. It is about values, about what is important, about courage and about our peoples. It is not about him.

In this arena he likes to paint himself, he is dwarfed by their quiet courage. In his coarse and self-aggrandising manner he is a gift to the deluded clowns of Britain First. His continuing Presidency is a tragedy for that great project in freedom and democracy that is the United States of America. His time will pass – of that I have no doubt. But our relationship with that special people will always outlast him. It’s a values thing, a humanity thing – bigger than anyone of us, and anyone of our leaders. “So long brothers” indeed, hang on in there.

Johnny Mercer is the Conservative MP for Plymouth Moor View and a former officer in the Royal Artillery

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I agree totally with the above, however everyone seems to miss one main point. There is a cultural problem, and we do have an elephant in the room.

Everyone’s trying to close the window, while ignoring the big hole in the glass. There’s an issue, he’s just the one to highlight, albeit incorrectly, rather than wash over it or ignore it.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Everyone’s trying to close the window, while ignoring the big hole in the glass. There’s an issue, he’s just the one to highlight, albeit incorrectly, rather than wash over it or ignore it.

Possibly because the issues Mr Trump highlights potentially alienates a significant number of the electorate in the UK. Comparatively that same sub-group are of much less electoral significance in the USA so he can express his opinions with impunity.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Banning him from the UK, the idiots in the UK Parliament don't seem to grasp the very basic concept that he would love that, it's what he wants. Muslim Mayor of London (Khan) "denies US President from visiting London". How do they think that will go down where it matters, in the US?. They keep falling for the same media tricks over and over.

Welcome to Trump 2020, :D.

Fibonarchie

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
What happened to the old political fall back plan? Time-waste. Good old fashioned time wasting. Talk about it a bit till every normal person loses interest and then do whatever you wanted in the first place anyway.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
What happened to the old political fall back plan? Time-waste. Good old fashioned time wasting. Talk about it a bit till every normal person loses interest and then do whatever you wanted in the first place anyway.

In all honesty I wouldn't say it was him that is wasting time. I think the conclusion that I'm starting to draw, is that democracies are ungovernable or we aren't living in one at the moment. He was elected, through all the rights and wrongs of it he was elected. There is an election every 4 years so what's the problem?

So far he's been blocked by several unelected judges from lower courts that are answerable to nobody. There are at least 50 judges that can block anything he does. I can understand if it was the US Supreme Court that was blocking him, but a lower Court? That's insane and is a Country that is unworkable.

As for Trump, I'm not a fan of his now. He's become part of the swamp with his foreign policy decisions. More war, more interference. US and UK public have constantly voted against these policies but somehow we always get the opposite once elected.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Welcome to Trump 2020, :D.

Most US presidents get re-elected so he's got a very good chance of being so. But he may not have the inclination to take another run at it when the time comes. Credible sources including his own family have suggested that the constraints and shackles of office are definitely not to his liking. And to be honest, Mr Trump may have been as surprised as anyone else that he won the 2016 election.

As for the media storm about state visits, everyone enjoys a controversy. Personally speaking the UK government invited the Office of President rather than the man so this glitch—and those yet to occur—don't matter much.

I find Mr Trump hugely entertaining anyway. Bring it on. :)

New Threads