Should I be worried?

Hubb97

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, just a quick thread to hopefully put my mind to rest. I'm a PRMC in a few weeks and really looking forward to it so had a sort of 'mock Wednesday' today to see where I stand- I was already pretty confident in passing day 1 but not really tested where I'm at in a while. I rested since Thursday due to being away for the weekend so assumed I would be fresh and feel ok. The run was horrific, not sure what was up but was hoping for at least 9 minutes (I was 9:15 at a RMAD a few weeks ago) and managed a measly 9:45 and felt like death warmed up at the end. Pretty awful time considering I almost hit the same pace at a 10k race 3 weeks ago. Wondering if I didn't eat enough in the morning but I had my usual combination of a Banana and an Energy gel (only usually have those if I'm planning a long ish session) which has served me well until now. Then walked home, had something decent to eat then went to the gym an hour or so later. Intended on trying a bleep test outside my house but decided not to bother.

I did 48 press ups 54 sit ups 11 pull ups which are around what I was expecting (stubbornly resisting improvement but such is life) Did a further 5 sets of each just as that was what I had planned but felt a bit light headed throughout and seemed to be breathing a bit harder than usual, was also going to do the 10 minute leg AMRAP with burpees instead of box jumps but was blowing out of my a*text deleted** after a minute of this so binned it and went home. My diet over the weekend was awful and most of my family have some kind of bug at the moment so hoping it might just be that so just wondering really if I should be worried or need to get a grip! Obviously I want to do a decent weeks training this week too but don't want to make any potential illnesses worse at the same time.
Thanks a lot!

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
2 weeks tomorrow so not long now!
You need a good week next week, give it everything, and assess from there. Personally I'd guess, you'll scrape day 1, but maybe run out of gas sometime during day 2. What's your long distance running/ hill sprints like?

Hubb97

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
You need a good week next week, give it everything, and assess from there. Personally I'd guess, you'll scrape day 1, but maybe run out of gas sometime during day 2. What's your long distance running/ hill sprints like?
Yeah it's absolutely not my intention to cancel- I'm literally buying some of the things I still need for it as we speak but it's just a bit annoying. I'm much better over long distance- 6 mile in 39:40 3 weeks ago as part of a 10k race and 8 mile in an hour is pretty comfortable, hence why i'm so puzzled! Sprints aren't the best but been doing plenty of work on them! Thank you!

Chelonian

Reaction score
Wondering if I didn't eat enough in the morning but I had my usual combination of a Banana and an Energy gel (only usually have those if I'm planning a long ish session) which has served me well until now.

Was the banana and energy gel your breakfast? Energy gels are fine for top-ups when flagging but a 'proper' breakfast—plus banana—is a basic requirement and an energy gel shouldn't replace it.

Hubb97

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Was the banana and energy gel your breakfast? Energy gels are fine for top-ups when flagging but a 'proper' breakfast—plus banana—is a basic requirement and an energy gel shouldn't replace it.
No I usually do my run, get home then have a decent breakfast- If I have a decent breakfast then do my run It doesn't tend to stay down! I find if I don't eat anything either I feel equally as awful so just a banana usually works for me found through trial and error!

Chelonian

Reaction score
If I have a decent breakfast then do my run It doesn't tend to stay down!

It might be that you're running out of fuel, although you imply that you haven't had problems before. Perhaps add a good handful of raisins and maybe some almonds to the banana. Must admit that I'm not enthusiastic about energy gels.

It's been a long time since my own RT elsewhere but many blokes would eat as mahoosive a breakfast as possible. Some of it might get honked up during training but the benefit definitely outweighed skimping on breakfast.

Hubb97

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
It might be that you're running out of fuel, although you imply that you haven't had problems before. Perhaps add a good handful of raisins and maybe some almonds to the banana. Must admit that I'm not enthusiastic about energy gels.

It's been a long time since my own RT elsewhere but many blokes would eat as mahoosive a breakfast as possible. Some of it might get honked up during training but the benefit definitely outweighed skimping on breakfast.
Noted, thanks a lot!

Kez1996

Reaction score
Yeah you definitely want to get use to working out after a full breakfast. You need to eat big on prmc or you're just *text deleted* see yourself off

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hi, just a quick thread to hopefully put my mind to rest. I'm a PRMC in a few weeks and really looking forward to it so had a sort of 'mock Wednesday' today to see where I stand- I was already pretty confident in passing day 1 but not really tested where I'm at in a while. I rested since Thursday due to being away for the weekend so assumed I would be fresh and feel ok. The run was horrific, not sure what was up but was hoping for at least 9 minutes (I was 9:15 at a RMAD a few weeks ago) and managed a measly 9:45 and felt like death warmed up at the end. Pretty awful time considering I almost hit the same pace at a 10k race 3 weeks ago. Wondering if I didn't eat enough in the morning but I had my usual combination of a Banana and an Energy gel (only usually have those if I'm planning a long ish session) which has served me well until now. Then walked home, had something decent to eat then went to the gym an hour or so later. Intended on trying a bleep test outside my house but decided not to bother.

I did 48 press ups 54 sit ups 11 pull ups which are around what I was expecting (stubbornly resisting improvement but such is life) Did a further 5 sets of each just as that was what I had planned but felt a bit light headed throughout and seemed to be breathing a bit harder than usual, was also going to do the 10 minute leg AMRAP with burpees instead of box jumps but was blowing out of my a*text deleted*text deleted* after a minute of this so binned it and went home. My diet over the weekend was awful and most of my family have some kind of bug at the moment so hoping it might just be that so just wondering really if I should be worried or need to get a grip! Obviously I want to do a decent weeks training this week too but don't want to make any potential illnesses worse at the same time.
Thanks a lot!

Dude. Energy gels are not suitable nutrition. They are for short hits during endurance events to keep you going. Totally unsuited for an actual meal. Especially breakfast.

Hubb97

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Dude. Energy gels are not suitable nutrition. They are for short hits during endurance events to keep you going. Totally unsuited for an actual meal. Especially breakfast.
Agree completely, could definitely tell there was something wrong after the first warm up run to be honest! It's just something i'm used to doing and never had issues before but will make more of an effort to get something decent early now. I'm *text deleted* try it again tomorrow on a hilly route with hill sprints after working a 6-2 so plenty of time to eat something decent before! Cheers.

Kez1996

Reaction score
To be honest mate you're stats look pretty decent train hard next week and give it a 110% when you're down there and you'll be fine

Hubb97

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
To be honest mate you're stats look pretty decent train hard next week and give it a 110% when you're down there and you'll be fine
Thanks appreciate it, off my 10k time I should be looking at at least sub 9 minutes so depends on the day really, looking forward to it though. Cheers!

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
Try this for a Breakfast.

2 slices wholemeal toast.
Generous spread of peanut butter.
1 banana sliced
Topped with a good drizzle of honey.

Kez1996

Reaction score
Yeah sub 9 minutes is definitely possible and good to hear you're looking forward to it the second day is actually quite fun if you enjoy feeling like you're going to die!!

Hubb97

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Try this for a Breakfast.

2 slices wholemeal toast.
Generous spread of peanut butter.
1 banana sliced
Topped with a good drizzle of honey.
Sounds good thanks, how long would you recommend waiting after having this till exercising?

Yeah sub 9 minutes is definitely possible and good to hear you're looking forward to it the second day is actually quite fun if you enjoy feeling like you're going to die!!
Yeah haha I've been lingering on this forum for I think 5 years now so will be good to finally have a crack at it myself! Good luck in training next year hopefully see you down there at some point;):D

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
Sounds good thanks, how long would you recommend waiting after having this till exercising?
About an hour and half should be good, if you feel it's too much. One slice of toast, but keep the topping the same. About an hour should be good then.

Kez1996

Reaction score
Yeah hopefully! Get your prmc done and dusted and we might be in the same troop!

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Agree completely, could definitely tell there was something wrong after the first warm up run to be honest! It's just something i'm used to doing and never had issues before but will make more of an effort to get something decent early now. I'm *text deleted* try it again tomorrow on a hilly route with hill sprints after working a 6-2 so plenty of time to eat something decent before! Cheers.

Doesn’t have to be a huge meal, just enough.

Latest posts

New Threads