Should I run more often?

Joe-T

Reaction score
At the moment I am running 4 times a week, Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat. Each time I go out (except Saturday) I will cover about 5 miles and I try and run at my 1.5 mile pace for as long as I can, have a 1 min recovery jog and then do it again, I also throw in a few sprints, these runs last around 35 - 40 mins. On the Saturday, I do a 3 mile run (in the style of the PRMC run) and I will finish off by doing hill sprints or intervals at the running track.

I have been doing this for just over 3 weeks now and I have noticed a big improvement (knocked 30 seconds off my first 1.5 mile run from 10:10 to 9:40 in 1 week) I'm having a little trouble keeping up the pace on the 3 miler, but I guess that will come with time.

Am I running enough in 1 week? Or should I be running more often, perhaps throwing in an extra run or two per week? I want to train as hard as I can, but at the same time I want to avoid over training and picking up another injury.

Any advice would be great, thank you.

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
At the moment I am running 4 times a week, Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat. Each time I go out (except Saturday) I will cover about 5 miles and I try and run at my 1.5 mile pace for as long as I can, have a 1 min recovery jog and then do it again, I also throw in a few sprints, these runs last around 35 - 40 mins. On the Saturday, I do a 3 mile run (in the style of the PRMC run) and I will finish off by doing hill sprints or intervals at the running track.

I have been doing this for just over 3 weeks now and I have noticed a big improvement (knocked 30 seconds off my first 1.5 mile run from 10:10 to 9:40 in 1 week) I'm having a little trouble keeping up the pace on the 3 miler, but I guess that will come with time.

Am I running enough in 1 week? Or should I be running more often, perhaps throwing in an extra run or two per week? I want to train as hard as I can, but at the same time I want to avoid over training and picking up another injury.

Any advice would be great, thank you.

I'd say 4 times a week is fine,
you could go swimming or cycling once a week too if you're not already,
and I'd say the way you're going about your runs is spot on.

danny12

Reaction score
yeah i agree mate - your running routines look fine.
and yeah i wud also say try some cycling or something else aswell.

pcampbell87

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If you are seeing an improvement of an average of 10 seconds per week off of your time I would say your training is spot on. Remember to increase your training in a couple of weeks time to ensure that you continue to push your body.

ben25

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
what about doing weights , the running side of it seems very good mate , keep it up .

where are u in the process ?

Ben

Joe-T

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I guess I'll stay as I am then, maybe I'll go cycling on Tuesday and Thursday and throw in some squats (I find my legs are not as good as my cardio, so squats and cycling up the hills nearby should help).

Should I run to time or distance? Each time I go out, I try and run a little further than I did the last time, but I always end up finishing the run a little faster than I did on my last run despite adding the extra distance. :cheesy:

Ben, I applied to join around October last year, I got as far as receiving a date for my PRMC, but I had to cancel due to an injury, After spending the last 11 months trying to get it sorted, I've only just recently restarted my training and I must say, I can't get enough of it. :nuts:

bagomarine

Reaction score
your running sounds really good, but what other excercise do you do.
try some crawling and duck walking. skipping is also a great help to even it
off. Swimming like someone already mentioned.

New Threads