Should i start my application process now?

Gorillawizard

Reaction score
Hey all

I've just started my training to get fit for the marines, and was just wondering if they let u put off the pjft untill your ready, or do they just give you a date? Just asking so that i can get the Interview, medical and all the tests out the way. Because if i fail one of them i'll still have to take 6 months off before i can try again.

M

MTW

best get it out of the way, you will have quite a while untill your pjft as you can tell by my dates, you can do the tests at whatever pace you feel comfortable with, i say get it handed in and get all the boring stuff out of the way.

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Yes start now!
It will be a while till your PJFT and to be honest if you really *text deleted* pass, all you need is 4 weeks to be able to get your 1.5 time down to under 10 mins.

If you are not ready by the time your next step is PJFT then yes you can delay it.

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
What are your scores at the moment,
in press ups, sit ups, etc?

Joe

manonfire

Reaction score
Yes start now!
It will be a while till your PJFT and to be honest if you really *text deleted* pass, all you need is 4 weeks to be able to get your 1.5 time down to under 10 mins.

If you are not ready by the time your next step is PJFT then yes you can delay it.

What sort of stuff was you doing to get your time under 10 minutes mate?

USMC 1802

US Marines Officer
Reaction score
Gorillawizard,

you must book your PJFT within one week after your medical, and you must complete your PJFT within 28 days after your medical.

You can, more or less, control the pace at which you take the test, interview, and medical. But again, once you've had your medical, it is a mandatory 28 days time frame.

Hope that makes things a bit clearer.

Iles

Reaction score
Gorilla,
I'm in a similar boat, My Cardio fitness is no where near up to scratch yet and is likely to be 2-3 months before I'm ready for my PRMC.
I phoned the AFCO today and they told me they can go at whatever pace I want. They also said if do my PJFT and don't think I'm ready for my PRMC we can put it off until I'm ready and they can arrange for me to go to my local RMR unit once a week for some phys under the wonderful guidance of a RM PTI :sick:

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Gorilla,
I'm in a similar boat, My Cardio fitness is no where near up to scratch yet and is likely to be 2-3 months before I'm ready for my PRMC.
I phoned the AFCO today and they told me they can go at whatever pace I want. They also said if do my PJFT and don't think I'm ready for my PRMC we can put it off until I'm ready and they can arrange for me to go to my local RMR unit once a week for some phys under the wonderful guidance of a RM PTI :sick:

Wow, they come out with that or you ask? Think im going to see if it's possible... thanks for bringing it up!

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
What sort of stuff was you doing to get your time under 10 minutes mate?

To be honest mate, all I was doing was running 1.5 miles which I mapped on www.walkjogrun.net

I timed my runs my runs and just made sure I beat my time every run.

I split the run into 4 checkpoints with the finish being the last one. That way you get an idea of how fast you are going. Make sure you hit the first in under 2mins 30 then the second before 5 mins etc.

I also used the assault course at my local college fields for doing sprints. If you work at your hardest pace for about 20 – 30 seconds then rest for 1 minute and repeat for about 10 mins, you really increase your cardio vascular fitness fast.

If you do your 1.5 mile, 5 times a week with 2 days rest, and you really push yourself, you should be able to get under 10 no problems in 4 – 6 weeks.

manonfire

Reaction score
To be honest mate, all I was doing was running 1.5 miles which I mapped on www.walkjogrun.net

I timed my runs my runs and just made sure I beat my time every run.

I split the run into 4 checkpoints with the finish being the last one. That way you get an idea of how fast you are going. Make sure you hit the first in under 2mins 30 then the second before 5 mins etc.

I also used the assault course at my local college fields for doing sprints. If you work at your hardest pace for about 20 – 30 seconds then rest for 1 minute and repeat for about 10 mins, you really increase your cardio vascular fitness fast.

If you do your 1.5 mile, 5 times a week with 2 days rest, and you really push yourself, you should be able to get under 10 no problems in 4 – 6 weeks.

Top man. Cheers for that.

At the minute i've been doing the 1.5 once a week and long runs every other time.

Perhaps i should just do the 1.5 everytime since i got my PJFT in about 4 weeks time.

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Whats your 1.5 mile time?

My first ever recorded was 12.42 mins. In 6 weeks I had it down to 09.47. So I shaved nearly 30 secs every week, of course you shave less off at a time the quicker you get.

Going on longer runs will will mean you will feel less knackered when you complete a 1.5 and recover faster, but shorter runs at a much higher speed will increase the speed you can run over 1.5 miles.

Ultimately you are not looking to feel fine at the end of a run, you are looking to do it quicker!

Gorillawizard

Reaction score
Cheers for the link to walkjogrun *text deleted*. I just found a complete 4 mile circuit from my front door.
I might try and go a bit further than 1.5 miles, like 0.2 mile over and try to get under 10 min then i'm sure i'll pass that bit. Only done a 1.5 mile twice so far, the first time it was 10:56, and the second was 10:13, but that was including starting the stopwatch on my phone then leaving it in the porch opening the door etc etc.. *text deleted* i haven't got a stopwatch on my watch. Seriously *text deleted* have to get me one of those. *text deleted* have to start doing 1.5 milers on my training days and a 3-4 mile on one of them.

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
What scores are you getting on everything else gorillawizard?

Joe

manonfire

Reaction score
Whats your 1.5 mile time?

My first ever recorded was 12.42 mins. In 6 weeks I had it down to 09.47. So I shaved nearly 30 secs every week, of course you shave less off at a time the quicker you get.

Going on longer runs will will mean you will feel less knackered when you complete a 1.5 and recover faster, but shorter runs at a much higher speed will increase the speed you can run over 1.5 miles.

Ultimately you are not looking to feel fine at the end of a run, you are looking to do it quicker!

At the minute im averaging about 10.20.
I once done it in 10.05 which is my best so far.

Iles

Reaction score
Yea they suggested it. Just been to the AFCO today to pick up my application forms as well and theymentioned it again.

Gorillawizard

Reaction score
Just put them on my sig Joe, Not the best at upper body strength but i have improved a bit with it, so pretty much concentrating on my shoulders, biceps, triceps, chest and abs but still running so my legs don't wither away.

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Just put them on my sig Joe, Not the best at upper body strength but i have improved a bit with it, so pretty much concentrating on my shoulders, biceps, triceps, chest and abs but still running so my legs don't wither away.

Just had a gander,
I'm doing alright,
running is my main problem.

Joe

Gorillawizard

Reaction score
yeah it goes either or with most people, some are great at running but no strength or they've got great upper body strength and crap at running. then you got the cocky buggers who are good alround. Which is what a good marine should be... a great allrounder.

Latest posts

New Threads