Shoulder clicks

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by tdawg, Nov 13, 2016.

1. tdawg

tdawg New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Press ups are my weakness. I'm very close on all fitness requirements but way off the pace in terms of press ups.

Whenever I do a press up with my arms in, (RM standard) my left shoulder clicks. It's not painful but very uncomfortable and it's holding be back for sure.

I am probably going to see a physio this week but wondered if anyone here has had something similar?

Short term I'm going to do wider press ups and stop doing pull ups because I think it could be a push pull imbalance.

2. ZXCVBNM

ZXCVBNM Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I've been getting this in my right shoulder, so I've started doing mobility exercises and posture correction. Noticed I was getting slightly rounded shoulders and anterior pelvic tilt through muscle imbalances, so I've started on fixing my back & shoulders. Strengthening my hamstrings and avoiding sit ups for a while, whilst doing planks instead.

If you stand up in a relaxed posture, if your thumbs are pointing towards each other then you have rounded shoulders / muscle imbalance, they should be pointing forward.

A good guy to check out for muscle and joint correction is Trevor Bachmeyer, he's a doctor / crossfit athlete: https://www.instagram.com/smashwerx/ - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4BvkJe2U4CnenW61nm_HOQ/videos

His youtube videos are very good, should learn a lot.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  3. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

For how long have you been doing correct form press ups? It might just be a transient thing. My knees, elbows and shoulders click but admittedly that might be age related. :)

An incremental adjustment (millimetres) of press up width may well stop any clicking. I'm doubtful if pull ups are the sole cause of press up 'clicking'.

4. tdawg

tdawg New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I've just tried press ups on gymnastics rings and the problem is gone.

Problem is they are so much harder I only managed 8!

I will try to progress with these for a bit, I reckon 20 of these could be worth 60 to the beep-vomit-

I think they are harder because they are less stable, once I get the stability then hopefully no more clicks.

5. kuoguy

kuoguy New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I haven't been through any RM training or anything yet, however I have been weightlifting and improving my fitness for a few years now and I have had shoulder clicking and clunking issues that resulted in a visit to an NHS physio.
    He basically attributed it to some scare tissue that had formed over the muscle as a result of a minor tear that I suffered a while ago (I sort of noticed it but didnt think much of it). The physio gave me some stretchy bands to use in order to better hit some muscles that I had neglected for ages.
    It might be worth strengthening rotator cuff muscles (shoulder external and internal rotation) and stretching nicely before a workout. I'm sure the physio will tell you everything you need to know though. The video that ZXCVBNM posted above is the sort of thing I mean.

I hope this gives you some relevant information, but I am not an expert.

6. tdawg

tdawg New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I've got some of those stretchy bands.

Having them is different to using them though. ;)

• Like Like x 1