Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Shoulder pain?

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by Mattys, May 11, 2020.

1. Mattys

Mattys Veteran Contributor

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Recently when I’m jogging I’m getting a kind of tight sensation in my shoulder or a sharp pain either on the collar bone or where the rotator cuff is.

I warm up nothing to strenuous but I have upped my mileage past few weeks (running cardio) so I’m not sure what it is?

This seems to happen in the later part of the jogging when I have to put in more effort and start breathing more is this a fitness issue?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rob20

Rob20 Royal Marines Commando Moderator

I always used to get that. Hard to describe but I used compare it to a stitch sensation in the shoulders. It never casued any dramas, and since I've ran marathons and passed out with no shoulder issues.

Unless there is pain and/or lack of mobility I wouldn't worry. Once you get to training you'll soon realise you'll have plenty of problems you'll have to just get on with, you'll be surprised how many parts of your body will crunch, crack and grind during a pussers warmup alone come the end of training.

But like I said, if it's not causing dramas I reckon you're good to go mate.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ALDL9RM

ALDL9RM Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    @Mattys also had this and like @Rob20 says mine was felt similar to a stitch but in my shoulder, advice that I got was to try and relax your shoulders when running if that makes sense? I never realised that I was, but I was running with my shoulders a bit shrugged then it would start to get uncomfortable

• Like Like x 2
  4. physiomum

physiomum Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    It sounds to be as if this is, as you've suggested, a stitch or a referred pain of diaphragmatic irritation. It is nothing to worry about and as you get fitter it will happen less.
    Obviously if it gets worse, spreads into your arm or is accompanied by pins and needles it might need checking out by a professional.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  5. Mattys

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Yeah it does feel like a stitch in that area just a very uncomfortable pain and only comes in once I’m starting to struggle a bit (jogging).

That’s good to know cheers mate

Agh I see maybe your right maybe I need to loosen my arms up a bit every know and again or it could just be my running form so not sure really as I never get it when I’m blowing out my as.s doing sprints but when it comes to starting to breathe heavier in jogging that’s when it comes in.

That’s good news then! I thought myself personally it might be a fitness issue as I have no issues with my shoulders doing any weights or body exercises just when I’m jogging late on it kick in.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fishnchips

Fishnchips Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Do you weight train?

7. Mattys

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I do strength training with weights but nothing you can class as even remotely heavy.

I only get this when I’ve been jogging for a while and started to struggle a bit don’t get it any other time

8. Fishnchips

Fishnchips Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    The weights don't need to be considered heavy to injure you. It is possible you could have damaged/weakened your rotator cuff as a sharp pain doesn't sound like a cramp. It is unlikely the motion of running could have been the sole cause of the problem. I'd also look at your posture during running/weights.

9. Rob20

What is this based on?

It is quite a common problem with runners. Majority of articles you'll find about it, or those who have had it and fixed it will state its just a form issue. Get fitter and drop your shoulders and it shouldn't reoccur.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Fishnchips

Fishnchips Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    It's based on my personal experience dealing with rotator cuff problems when I used to compete in powerlifting.

11. ALDL9RM

ALDL9RM Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I never felt in when sprinting either, just when running steadier like yourself, definitely try making an effort to drop your shoulders a bit so they aren't so tense

12. Rob20

I think you're making comparisons between issues which don't relate. Its tricky with medical questions because the majority of us aren't medical professionals, however it seems some of us have had similar problems and most agree its related to the form and postute whilst running.

I don't think it will help the poster by saying it could be a completely unrelated injury because you once suffered it doing something completely different. Despite trying to help we have to avoid the temptation to over diagnose, something everyone can be guilty of at times.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  13. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

A general note just to echo the post by @Rob20
    Nobody on here can credibly diagnose anyone else's symptoms.

We have a handful of health professionals on the forum and they certainly don't even attempt to do so.

It's okay to relate one's own personal experience or anecdote based upon similar symptoms but such anecdotes should be clearly flagged as such.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rob20

Spot on Chelonian.

Think its also worth remembering lads, you're attitudes to injuries and niggles will completely change throughout training. You hear so many times "its not a problem and it doesn't stop me but....". If its not stopping you and it isnt a problem crack on.

Yes, look after your body. But remember what we're doing. It's no coincidence lads pass tests on broken feet/legs etc. The difference between a bootneck and lads pre training is that ability to put up with the niggles and crack on. I'm not suggesting everyone ignores injuries at all, but don't be a medbay warrior.

• Like Like x 1