Simple Breakdown of Falklands War (Video)

DynaMo

Reaction score
Follow this channel on youtube, they do a lot of videos on different battles and wars, thought this may be of interest to some people, when learning about different things the visual aspect definitely helps myself.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
For those remotely interested, the union flag flies from the jackstaff (flagpole) at the pointy bit of a warship alongside.

The white ensign flies from the aft end, when in harbour and from the mainmast at sea.

Always the purist, I spat my tea and nearly demanded a refund during the film Dunkirk when a Brit warship steamed past with an ensign on the stern. Outrageous.

ave!

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
There's quite a good video on the channel about the "drip rifle"

One of the lads has now got that as a nick name

Chelonian

Reaction score
...when a Brit warship steamed past with an ensign on the stern.

On the topic of ensigns... back in the day HMY Britannia visited Dartmouth. A friend who was then a Trinity House pilot was aboard as the ship made a stately progress up river past the town and BRNC to be turned between Old Mill Creek and Lower Noss Creek. A tight squeeze for it even at high water.

The firm of shipbuilders I then worked for had a jetty just below BRNC. On the jetty was a flagstaff from which we had been authorised to fly a red ensign along with house flags. We took the opportunity to 'dip' our ensign in salute as the ship passed and the compliment was promptly returned. The exchange took place at the point of maximum risk during the ship's turn. My pilot mate remarked that the atmosphere on the bridge was understandably tense during the turn and that our little distraction drew an exasperated "Christ almighty! Can't they see we're busy?" from the CO when it was drawn to his attention. :)

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
On the topic of ensigns... back in the day HMY Britannia visited Dartmouth. A friend who was then a Trinity House pilot was aboard as the ship made a stately progress up river past the town and BRNC to be turned between Old Mill Creek and Lower Noss Creek. A tight squeeze for it even at high water.

The firm of shipbuilders I then worked for had a jetty just below BRNC. On the jetty was a flagstaff from which we had been authorised to fly a red ensign along with house flags. We took the opportunity to 'dip' our ensign in salute as the ship passed and the compliment was promptly returned. The exchange took place at the point of maximum risk during the ship's turn. My pilot mate remarked that the atmosphere on the bridge was understandably tense during the turn and that our little distraction drew an exasperated "Christ almighty! Can't they see we're busy?" from the CO when it was drawn to his attention. :)
To make it worse for warships visiting Dartmouth, there's a good number of retired admirals living on the hill facing the college who like nothing better than voicing their displeasure to the hapless commanding officers if their ship has a visible Irish Pennant.