Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Sit Ups and abdominal spasms

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by ozzy4399, Jul 2, 2018.

1. ozzy4399

ozzy4399 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Wondering if anyone can help me.

For the last few days, every time I get to the final 20% or so of the sit ups in my final set, I will get a sort of intense spasm/cramping pain at the top of my abs, beneath my ribs, just as I complete the upward motion. The pain will force me to stop my set short in fear of it breaking out into a sustained spasm/tear; the pain stops as soon as my abs cease to be under tension, but the pain is so short and sharp that I really don't think this is just bog-standard 'ache' or 'soreness' that can be pushed through, let alone should be.

I'm thus wondering if I may have strained an abdominal muscle in the area giving me grief, and if so, what I should do to go about getting it back to normal. My initial thoughts are to hold off specific abdominal exercises for a week (but to continue with press ups/pull ups - they don't seem to be causing any problems) and perhaps ice it a few times a day before slowly reintroducing the sit-ups and crunches and seeing how it feels. Advice is much appreciated.

2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I'm not a medical professional so my comments are based on my own personal experience. In the first instance I'd suggest ceasing the abdominal exercises for, say, one week and then starting again and see how you get on. We all pick up painful niggles from time-to-time, more so as we age! :( Rest is often the best and simplest therapy even if advising it sounds like heresy. There are plenty of other exercises (running, swimming, etc.,) which will keep your abs ticking over for a week or so. Best of luck.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ozzy4399

ozzy4399 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks for the advice, will do as such and give it a week without the abdominal bits and bring it back in slowly.