Sit-ups and ass chafe...

flippertyre

Reaction score
Straight to the point:
Every time I have a big sit-up session, I get this nasty little cut on my ass, on the skin by my tale bone. If I do another sit up sesh the next day, low and behold, my ass starts to bleed. I’m not too fussed about it, it’s just annoying.
Just wanted a bit of solidarity to know that I am not the only one who’s got a sensitive ass. Any tips would be welcomed. Pardon the pun.

Peppers

Reaction score
Haha yeah I’ve had that. Not pleasant. No need to worry though. I’m pretty sure it’s a form problem and not sensitive skin.

What I did was put some cream on it and used a thin pillow for cushioning until it healed as it was pretty raw haha.
Then I just focused on not sliding too much when completing my reps. Slower and smooth at first. I don’t have a problem anymore and I do way more sit-ups than back then, so I reckon it was just my using inefficient form.

Cheers, hope that helps.

flippertyre

Reaction score
Legend, I'm glad i'm not the only one!
I also use a little pillow but will keep the sliding in mind next time I have a sesh.
Cheers!

Langa please?

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Have you been anchoring your feet? If not it can help with the slip and slide!

flippertyre

Reaction score
yeah very much so, I also get it on the rowing machine which makes me think I just have a boney ass haha

THOR

Reaction score
How many situps are you doing in one session?

My advice/what I do.... Knock out a load of crunches/leg raises/butterfly kicks etc that don't involve so much friction with the floor, get the core nice and fatigued, then train your sit ups.

Probably find its more beneficial to train sit-ups when tired, otherwise is a relatively easy, repetitive motion.

Also baselayer/lycra underwear in general is a good shout.

Commando2912

Reaction score
Straight to the point:
Every time I have a big sit-up session, I get this nasty little cut on my ass, on the skin by my tale bone. If I do another sit up sesh the next day, low and behold, my ass starts to bleed. I’m not too fussed about it, it’s just annoying.
Just wanted a bit of solidarity to know that I am not the only one who’s got a sensitive ass. Any tips would be welcomed. Pardon the pun.
Yep, I had that the day before my VPJFT, I just frizzed through it now there’s a random patch of toughened skin and I don’t even feel it rubbing anymore

Chelonian

Reaction score
An interesting thread. Certainly it's not an issue I've personally encountered. Everyone's physiology varies; fortunately my butt stays put during sit-ups.

Aside from the suggestion that correct form might be an issue I'll throw some more in for consideration: core strength and stability. Also, if rubbing is caused by abrasion with the ground it also suggests that perhaps energy is being wasted by the unnecessary movement.

Plenty better qualified than I am to offer hints about phys but how about reducing the sit-up output drastically (to, say, five) and concentrating on maintaining total stability in the butt and hip region? If it's do-able for five, it's do-able for fifty if that's where the problem lies.

steve14

Reaction score
after a while, after doing many situps you will grow a callous, a extra layer of leather on your ass to help this. its all part of growing up. try wear trousers that dont move so much, it helps