Sit Ups for POC

bartzkingx

Reaction score
I've been training really hard for my POC which is in April but I'm a bit unsure how fast to do my sit ups...

It says they are done like a bleep test and that 85 is the optimum. But I can't keep up the speed of doing them that fast. I've been using using a metronome to set the pace.

Should I just keep practising like I am doing or have I got a bit confused?!

Hope you understand what I'm ranting about!

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
i've always been under the impression that during the PRMC the only bleep in anytest is the 20 meter shuttle runs. and that the press up and sit ups are done with your own personal speed.

and i think thaat you only tend to do bleep sit ups, pull ups and press ups when your in acctuall recruit training

bartzkingx

Reaction score
Yeah I'm not going for PRMC, I'm aiming for Young Officer training and they do the POC which is a bit different from PRMC

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
To max-out it's usually it's 85 sit-ups over two minutes, so a metronome set to 43 beats per minute should be your target.

Keep rockin' dude.

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
oh sorry mis-read it. ignor what i said then *text deleted*

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
To max-out it's usually it's 85 sit-ups over two minutes, so a metronome set to 43 beats per minute should be your target.

Keep rockin' dude.

You inspire me! This could be good training for PRMC too if you push up and sit up to a bleep! Could it not?

Ash

SJ55

Reaction score
Hey Fella's

I'm also going for POC and just to clarify, In the POC RMFA are the sit-ups actually done to a metronome then or not? I was under the impression the RMFA was the same for potential marines and officers, and the differences between POC and PRMC began after the RMFA.

Is training to a metronome just a suggestion for training prior to attending POC?

Also one more thing about the POC RMFA... I've read that the target for the pull-ups is 6 and I've also read 16! Could that 16 have been a typo or is it the case?

Many Thanks

Steve

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hey Fella's

I'm also going for POC and just to clarify, In the POC RMFA are the sit-ups actually done to a metronome then or not? I was under the impression the RMFA was the same for potential marines and officers, and the differences between POC and PRMC began after the RMFA.

Is training to a metronome just a suggestion for training prior to attending POC?

Also one more thing about the POC RMFA... I've read that the target for the pull-ups is 6 and I've also read 16! Could that 16 have been a typo or is it the case?

Many Thanks

Steve

From the POC Briefing Notes in the Stickys Section:

Royal Marine Fitness Assessment (RMFA)

The RMFA consists of the following exercises:

Progressive shuttle run (the “Bleep” Test).

b. Press ups

c. Sit ups

d. Pull ups

All tests are conducted to an audible timing whereby you complete an exercise to a bleep, as instructed and demonstrated, and record a score when you can no longer maintain the set rhythm. Each test has a maximum total of 400. The pass mark is 180 and if you fail to achieve this mark you will be withdrawn from the course. Repetitions are counted and recorded by the training team.

The important distinction between completing exercises whilst training and during the test is the ability to keep in time with the set rhythm. For the first 3 tests a repetition is conducted approximately every second with a pause at the full range of each movement. A 2-3 minute break between each serial allows for a brief rest and a thorough explanation and demonstration of the next test.

The maximum repetitions attainable are as follows:

a. Press ups – 60

b. Sit ups – 85

c. Pull ups – 16

d. Progressive shuttle Run (the “Bleep” Test) – 15.5.

You should aim for maximum scores on all the tests and not just to achieve a marginal pass. Your attitude and work rate in the gym will be closely monitored and a less than determined approach may detract from a good RMFA score in the final grading.

Again, it’s worth having a good read in the stickies section, so you are fully aware of the differences between PRMC & POC. There is no audible timing devices on PRMC other than the bleep test (VO2 Max) and stopwatches are used for all other disciplines on PRMC.

As you can see, the POC physical demands are greater than those required to pass PRMC. You max-out at 16 pull ups on POC it's not a typo!

Good Luck!

SJ55

Reaction score
Thats great Ninja cheers.

I had read 16 on the POC briefing notes but just read 6 elsewhere. But I am now certain of the target for the pull-ups, and have been aiming for max reps throughout my training for everything else and hitting some so far!

Need to knock out a few more pull ups yet!!

Thanks again!

Steve

bartzkingx

Reaction score
Cheers Ninja, I'll set it at 43 and see how well I do. I use a metronome for my press ups aswell n it really helps. Its going to be very tough though doing the sit ups that fast

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Remember 85 sit-ups & 16 pull-ups is MAX for POC guys.

Build-up steadily through reps- don't be killing yourselves!

Good luck!

CmanStains

Reaction score
Hi guys. Just wanted to add my experience of the POC to this thread. I did the POC on 4th Feb this year and the RMFA press-ups, sit-ups and pull-ups were done as fast as you could go with correct technique. There were no audible bleeps, only the corporal and colour sergeant shouting at you to put your hands on your head, stop scratching your ass etc!
Failed the POC unfortunately, couldn't finish the endurance course fast enough so i'm back in two weeks for another go!

Hope that helps a bit.

Silvie666

Reaction score
hey guys

is there any way u can prepair for the bleep test apart from just doing then over and over again, because i dont really like the beep test, but as i will have to do it,,might as well get the best i can!

Cheers in advance

Point

RM Officer Recruit
Reaction score
bleep test is a funny one. I guess I would increase the speed and distance at which I run, also farlek training will help alot. Do a bleep test maybe once a week to give you an indication of where you are but more than that wont help you much. Hope it helps

Silvie666

Reaction score
Ok

Cheers, ye that did help alot, will try and do one once a week now,

ChrisCN

Reaction score
Guys,

I have recently returned from my POC in May and you DO NOT have to do your sit ups or press ups to a beep. It is simply 2 mins, maximum effort. You can go as quickly or as slowly as you like. Pull ups are performed to the commands of a PTI (bend, straighten etc.)

I think the rules have fairly recently changed so that's where the confusion's coming from. Just to reiterate, you DO NOT have to perform the sit ups or press ups to an audible beep.

Hope this helps lads

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Cheers Chris, a good bit of feedback & much appreciated.

For those aiming to max-out on POC, it certainly does no harm to practice to a timed beat if you wish, to ensure you get the maximum reps for the duration of the full two minutes.

New Threads