Sit ups - how’s often?

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
To improve my sit ups I do gainers for planks 4 times a week. It has gotten me from 40 sit ups to 70 sit ups (last tested 3 months ago). I can now hold a plank for 5 mins rest 1 min 5 mins rest 1 mins 5 mins.
Although this has improved my sit up score, it’s becoming ridiculously difficult on the 3rd set
You lot reckon I am overtraining as I’m doing this 4 times a week and often my abs are a bit sore from the last time when I go to do this workout. If so do you reconmend I reduce this to 3 times a week?

Hubb97

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
To improve my sit ups I do gainers for planks 4 times a week
Like saying 'to improve pull ups I do bicep curls'.. be specific! There again your progress is good so if it's not broke, don't fix it ;)

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah at first I thought this isn't specific to what I'm training for, but when I tested I'd gone up by 30 in about 2-3 months. So all good there! But as I say, doing 3 sets of 5 mins and increasing it by 10 seconds on one set each time I do it is becoming increasingly very very difficult. You lot reckon I should reduce the intensity in some way or just grit my teeth and get on with it.

ERFC

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Just be repetitive. Keep practising the movement and the desired outcome will happen. You’ll only improve on sit ups if you’re constantly doing them. 3 x 15-20 minute core sessions a week is all you require.