sit ups

danny12

Reaction score
I'm just starting to get into serious training and when i do sit ups, after about 30-40 my back starts to hurt/ache. Does anyone know the cause or issue and does anyone else experience this?
many thanks

Nacnud

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hmmm... usually when I do a crapload of sit ups its my belly muscles that start to ache! It could be because you may have been doing some pull ups before, which is strenuous on your back muscles. Or it could be because as you lean forwards, your tummy muscles contract, and when you lean back, you back muscles contract, and this makes your back ache... maybe, I'm not really an expert.

Also, seeing as you are taking the training seriously, you should make sure you are doing the proper technique. That is, you are using the technique that you have to use in the PRMC. no use using the wrong tech only to do badly in the real thing because you weren't practicing it right! In this case, for situps you want to keep your knees touching together, your fingertips on your temples and your elbows touching your knees on each rep.

Anyway, starting to train seriously and working yourself hard is always going to be tough, and it will hurt. perhaps all you need is some time to get accustomed to your new training regime and lots of practice.

BradfordBulls

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I'm just starting to get into serious training and when i do sit ups, after about 30-40 my back starts to hurt/ache. Does anyone know the cause or issue and does anyone else experience this?
many thanks
Most probably related to your form, keep your back straight and when your elbows touch your knees thats a complete sit up. Some people just bend their back instead of using their abdominal muscles.

billybambino

Reaction score
on the PRMC sit ups, does the back of your head have to touch the floor? or is it your elbows

its quite an inconvenience getting your head to touch the floor on each rep

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I've only seen elbows, not head, but we'll have to see from somebody who did it. (I use towel rolled up behind my head just in case).

And back back can be many things, but most of the time its due to lack of correct stretching and bad posture.

danny12

Reaction score
cheers lads, i think what im doing is bending my back and not keeping it straight. i'll give it a try!

Charlie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
many thanks
Hello Danny, where abouts in your back does it hurt you ? because i had the same problem a while back...injured my back due to poor form during situps...i had to stop doing them in training and my situp score suffered on PRMC because of it...i also had to cancel my first PRMC because of the bad back..had physion and everything *text deleted*

Lumley

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Its your elbows that have to touch the mat/floor in PRMC isnt it?

Charlie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Its your elbows that have to touch the mat/floor in PRMC isnt it?

Oui Monsieur

all the way back touch the mat, all the way up to top of *text deleted* knees...

:cool:

hobbsy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Are you doing them on hard floor? Could be why.

Nacnud

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
yeah i always find putting a pillow underneath my buttocks always helps, doing sit ups on hard wooden floor makes my spine hurt.