Site Problems

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Guys as much as I would like to have said we were brought down by a team of international hackers, we weren't.

Instead we were brought down because someone at the hosting provider (Heart Internet) couldn't read instructions and decided to delete all our files.

As you may know the site is currently on a shared hosting package, and that means probably upwards of 1000 sites use the same server. Speed sometimes becomes an issue and the site is slow.

So I decided to buy my own server and ordered one which will arrive in around 2 weeks. 1 week to test and then transfer the prmc site over along with my other sites that I use for my business.

On Friday evening, Thinking ahead I contacted Heart Internet to give them 30 days notice to cancel my account. Went to bed and awoke to find all my sites offline. They had deleted everything and cancelled my account with immediate affect. For some unknown reason they failed to take into account 30 days notice.

Needless to say I contacted them and asked for action on the issue. Despite promise after promise that they were looking into it working the problem. They have still not come back to me with a solution or got the sites working again. So I couldn't wait for them to pull their finger out any further and rebuilt the site to the last known backup point that we made.

We backup the database most days in the admin section, this then saves a file on the server called /backups So thinking this was safe just doing this every day we left it at that. Unfortunately when they deleted my account they deleted all the files on the server including /backup.

So fortunately I had a backup on my own PC, unfortunately it went back to the 3rd of march. So we have lost all posts since then, all members that have joined (approx 46) and private messages.

I'm having a look at what else has been lost, emoticons are one and avatars maybe another.

I'll get the site looking back to what it should be shortly and maybe in the days ahead they find the data so that I may merge it back into the site.

Lesson learnt on keeping backups on the server and instead will be kept in multiple locations from now on.

Again needless to say I am not happy with the incident and apart from this site, they have deleted all my business sites and data. Unfortunately I don't have data backups for and the data looks lost. So in one swoop some idiot has deleted months if not years of my work and costs me thousands of £'s. Although now I have this site back on it's most of my worry sorted as the rest will just cost me money and not any of you the advice that you may need.

Still we've had better days

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Just to add, if you notice anything wrong with the site apart from the blog system, emoticons and avatars then post in here.

My applogies to members who joined in the last 10 days and have had their accounts wiped out by this.

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Just remind them it's a Royal Marines website, and if they don't get there *text deleted**text deleted* together quick we'll take action ;-).

RossRobObey

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Nothing that I have noticed, but I would just like to thanks GW for all the work he has put in!

Ross.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
GreyWing certainly had a fair bit of work this weekend!

All I could do was wait for the site to come back online whilst he tried to get us going again.

The problem we have is the guys who registered since the last save will have to re-register, which is rather galling for all concerned.

Likewise all the threads look rather forlorn as they all appear a bit dated and create the impression that we are not particularly thriving (which we were up until this weekend!). There's hundreds of contributions lost, so if anyone wants clarification on anything missing, by all means post the question again & we'll do our level best to get "back up to speed" as soon as possible.

MIKESW

Reaction score
I was begining to panic for a moment there, *text deleted*.. this site is a second home for me because im half way through the application process. Really glad is back up and running again.. Cheers lads.

mugen_power

Reaction score
Phew cool, I tried logging in last night and it told me I had been banned and would never be lifted.

I was like WTF *text deleted*

Cheers for your work Greywing

Woody

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ahh.. I wondered why I couldn't log in.

Really glad to see the site back up. With my interview in a couple of days this place has been really helpful.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Good to see you back.

Apologies for the inconvenience & good to hear you've found the site useful.
Good luck with the interview!

FutureMarine

Reaction score
Just remind them it's a Royal Marines website, and if they don't get there *text deleted**text deleted* together quick we'll take action ;-).

haha i have to agree :P

sorry about the site dude, thanks for sorting out this site its really helpfull :)