Situps

CommandoJ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
hey lads, just looking for some advice on my situps,

well i can do 47 situps in 2 mins, however its not the abbs burning that stops me its the lower back starts to feel the strain. if this were to be reduced i could easily get another 25 out before i feel great burning on my abbs.

anyone got anytips for me, maybe lower back exercises?:fight:

thanks in advance.

steve14

Reaction score
make sure you stretch all muscles in your back before and after excerisise, it might help. I screwed my back up with sit ups, pysio told me to do the following and it helps.

Tip your toes
lean back as far as you can go with hands on hips
Lie on your back and pull your one knee at a time to your chest with hands under the knee

repeat these 6-10 times before and after workout

Otherwise you might be heading for a injury.BE VERY CAREFULL WITH YOUR BACK.

Necki

Reaction score
Tip your toes
lean back as far as you can go with hands on hips
Lie on your back and pull your one knee at a time to your chest with hands under the knee

Sounds a little similar to what we were doing in fitness last week at college. Our way is supposedly good for your back and as good as sit-ups, but it differs slightly.

Lay Flat On Floor (whole body flat down)
Get a partner to stand above you (slightly behind your shoulders)
Take your arms and hold his/her ankles.
Lift your legs and try to kick your partner in the stomach, keeping your legs as straight as possible
(make sure they know what you want to do so you don't wind/injure them),
and then get them to push your feet back down.
Try not to lower your legs the whole way to the floor.
Repeat as much as wished.

Ideally you would do this with a partner, but you could probably do it by yourself with a wall. After around 15/20 it really starts to ache, good though.

Turfy123

Reaction score
try doing some dorsal raises as well they're really good for the lower back

ben25

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
try doing some dorsal raises as well they're really good for the lower back

defo , but try and do them on a swiss ball and it does not strain the lower back as much

How about doing some good mornings ??

deadlifts are also dood for lower back as are stiff legged dead lifts

Ben

Death-Oar-Glory

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Another good back stretch is you lie on your front, put your arms in crucifix style. Roll your hips to the side, lifting a leg up and arching it back, getting it as close to the opposite hand as you can. Aim to keep your chest flat on the floor. Swap sides and repeat etc.

And the leg raises someone suggested are very good for your abs, you can do them without another person, but they have to be done slower, and make sure you put your hands below your hips between your lower back and the floor.

steve14

Reaction score
Ideally you would do this with a partner, but you could probably do it by yourself with a wall. After around 15/20 it really starts to ache, good though.

You can do something similar without a partner, by putting your hands under your bed or a cabinet in your room and lifting you legs up that way??.