Skin Condition

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by Jaguar2187, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Jaguar2187

Jaguar2187 Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Evening all,

I attended an army medical a couple of months ago and was told to see my GP about a small rash on the inside of my elbows (on both arms). The GP diagnosed it as eczma, but like the army doctors, he wasn't completely sure what it was. If this does indeed turn out to be eczma then I will be barred from joining for three years, so I have chosen to see a private dermatologist to see if they can hopefully diagnose it as something else, which won't bar me from joining for the next three years. This rash, or whatever it is, has never given me any pain or itching, and other than the fact that it's visible, I wouldn't have otherwise noticed it was there. Nor does it appear to get any worse when it's hot, cold, wet humid, etc.

Has anyone had any luck with appealing this sort of thing? What's annoying is that it doesn't adversely affect me in any way so I struggle to see why it is proving to be such an issue with the army.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Eczema, if that's what it turns out to be, can unfortunately be a debilitating condition particularly in training and beyond when serving in extreme climatic environments.

The thing you need to be careful of is gaining a different definitive diagnosis....only to find the appeal succeeds with regard eczema only to find the correct diagnosis is itself a show-stopper.

Best of luck.

3. Jaguar2187

Jaguar2187 Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Thanks Ninja. That's what worries me, if it turns out be be something worse.

4. panderpop123

panderpop123 New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Not sure if this would be the right place to put this but, dyshidrotic eczema would this be a bar to entry? I don't usually get this but when my feet get wet for a while it causes small blisters to appear on my feet

5. Ninja_Stoker

Active eczema is likely to be a significant issue unfortunately.

6. panderpop123

panderpop123 New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    If this can be solved, is the only way I can get in is by waiting 3 years with no problems?

7. panderpop123

panderpop123 New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Or sadly is this the end of the road for me and my chances because it's on my record?

8. Ninja_Stoker

If you are three years prescription-free and the condition is not visibly apparent at the medical examination, you may be OK.

Logically, a person who's feet blister when wet for prolonged periods should seriously consider whether the condition is conducive to life as a Royal Marine, and if so, whether they can realistically prevent the condition occuring with over-the counter (rather than prescribed) medication.

• Like Like x 1
  9. panderpop123

panderpop123 New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Thanks for your help

10. Ninja_Stoker

No worries, wait out to see if @CHUB! has anything to add. CHUB! tends to be a bit more up to speed and may have more recent experience in this area than me.

11. CHUB!

CHUB! Careers Adviser

You are right to seek a professional opinion. One of my candidates had exactly the same issue but on his knees and it turned out to be folliculitis which is a whole different ball game. Often a rash can just require admin which means moisturising with a decent dry skin moisturiser. Remember elbows and knees are places of friction ergo heat build up so rashes can occur for all sorts of reasons. Try keeping them aired and moisturise constantly while waiting for a professional opinion (it may work). Keep us up to speed about how you are getting on. Feel free to PM us if you want more advice. :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. panderpop123

panderpop123 New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    I saw a doctor about this problem and on my record it's down as dermitisis, however the last time I had this was over 2 years ago and haven't had it since. Would this be appealable if it holds me back? Once again thanks for the help and advice.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018 at 8:11 PM
  13. CHUB!

CHUB! Careers Adviser

Depends on type and severity. Get all the info and see what the medical process says. Small patches of certain types of rash including eczema can be overlooked. :)

14. panderpop123

panderpop123 New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Brilliant, puts a bit of hope back in me reading that. Thanks for your help once again!

15. Imperator13

Imperator13 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Erm..your feet will most likely be constantly wet in training..because well the Training Teams love wet and dry, they don’t love it but they love making you do it. Just to let you know it may not be overly practical.