Slam ball.

itslikethat

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Evening ladies.

Whats your opinion on these ? Lift slam, throw, bounce all that !

I am getting one but I aint sure what what to get. I'm currently looking at a 30lb one around 18 kilos. Do you think thats to heavy or light ? I'm not sure on all of this.

Opinions?

S

stokey_14

If your talking about medicine ball slams, 18 Kg sounds heavy for conditioning. As with anything it all depends on your current level of strength, however with an explosive exercise like this less is sometimes more.

Basically if you us a ball that?s too heavy the movement will become slow and laboured which isn?t what you want when learning the skill of speed.

I also prefer the non bouncing *text deleted**text deleted**, makes slams tougher as you have to gather the ball your self and I?ve seen footage of people slamming the ball and catching one in the chops.

5-10 Kg med *text deleted**text deleted** can be used for some mean workouts, however larger *text deleted**text deleted** can be used for movements like ?wall *text deleted**text deleted** etc?

We use them at boxing for all of these sorts of exercises but also as a stomach strengtheners (getting a partner to slam them against us for time) but I don?t really see a point in that unless you want to get used to taking shots to the stomach.

If it was me however I?d look into making my own med *text deleted**text deleted**. Easy to do, cheep and thus you could make a few with various weights.

Stokey

Stokey edit: All *text deleted**text deleted** = B-a-l-l-s

VTomasi

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Agreed 5-10kg is perfectly adequate, 8kg a happy medium - 18kg would be to heavy to effectively ball slam, it's a conditioning exercise.

Indeed making your own is easy - take a basketball, drill a not so big hole and plug a funnel into said hole. Fill to desired weight with very fine sand.

For a nice clean finish, use a radial tyre patch and extremely strong, yet flexible, glue.

For a quick finish, good ol' duct tape.

Easy.

S

stokey_14

Ok, 18kg is to heavy.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200723139624?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

What do you rekon on this on ?

Around 13 kg. Heavy enough for slams and throwing up hill ? And loads of other excersise.

All depends on the user.

Sure there?s things you can do with heavier ones but for conditioning and explosive strength I think most people can get by with 5-10 Kg.

More weight can actually be a hindrance for certain things? obviously this is also relative to current strength and power? bigger stronger guys will be able to handle more.

Stokey

itslikethat

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Thats what i'm thinking. I mean i'm strong for my size, like strength to weight. Yet i don't want to get a ball that is to heavy so i cant chuck it around, yet i dont want a ball thats to light where I can't really feel anything and it dosen't make me work hard.

I'll have a look around a few gyms round where i live and see whats the right weight.

S

stokey_14

Thats what i'm thinking. I mean i'm strong for my size, like strength to weight. Yet i don't want to get a ball that is to heavy so i cant chuck it around, yet i dont want a ball thats to light where I can't really feel anything and it dosen't make me work hard.

I'll have a look around a few gyms round where i live and see whats the right weight.

Yes, with the greatest respect i'm doubtful you'd need more than 10 Kg for conditioning and slams, despite being strong for you size.

The guys i'm thinking of that might need a bigger size are 200 Lb + athletes (heavy weight boxers etc)

Try before you by is always a wise move. Still think making your own is the best option if you have the time. Could make 3-4 different weight and size ones for the same price as some of the commercial ones on the market.

Stokey

itslikethat

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I agree. And i'm certainly no monster haha.

Yes, i've seen a few videos on rosstraining about how to make your own, i'll have another look and see if i can rig one up over the weekend, if not ill be purchasing a 20lb slam ball. 9.1KG.

See what happens.

Gump

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
buy a basketball that isnt full of air and fill with sand, nice and cheap!