Sleep.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Dunno where else to put.

Just have REALLL pain in the ass troubles getting to sleep. Always have, probably always will be until Im worked to hell in RT.

Id like a sleep pattern where im up at 6 (managed it a few months ago...DON'T know how) so i can put my training pattern back to good shape.

Im wanting a 3 mile run 9am, another 3 mile run 3/4pm, and circuits in the evening (was possible for me pre-injury), but For obvious reasons if im up at 2pm this plan goes to *text deleted**text deleted*.

Aside from the obvious like get off the pc early (I actually got off at 10, but here I am again 2 or so hours later), and not eating protein filled foods etc before bed.. so in short:
tips on sleeping! GO! :cheesy:

Geryon

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I have the same thing, I guess you just have to exercise until you fall asleep.

Robbie Spice

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
when I get in this situation I usually try and stay up the whole night and the next whole day but alot of the time I just end up staying up all night and falling a sleep at about 11 in the morning.

my advice is to just get outside and run and get off the computer and use loads of energy up, try going out for a massive meal at a restaurant , every time i go out nad have a big meal it makes me sleepy.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Exercise wakes me up, causes stuff to be released into the body and raises body temperature etc, hence why I *text deleted* get all exercise gone early in the day:push:

Geryon

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
when I get in this situation I usually try and stay up the whole night and the next whole day but alot of the time I just end up staying up all night and falling a sleep at about 11 in the morning.

my advice is to just get outside and run and get off the computer and use loads of energy up, try going out for a massive meal at a restaurant , every time i go out nad have a big meal it makes me sleepy.

You stole my identity didn't you.

Robbie Spice

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
come again Peter ?

Why don't you just fall asleep when you normally do and set your alarm for an earlier time and then not turn round and hit the button to stop the alarm but actually get out of bed earlier and not be lazy ?

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
hmmm asking for advice how to get to sleep on a forum at nearly one in the morning.... am i the only one that sees a problem there?? *text deleted*
fatty foods, warm milk, horlicks, no caffeine, no exercise for 3 hours before bed (releases adrenaline etc and raises metabolic rate), regular bed time even if you dont sleep- just read, no TV for 2 hrs before bed etc are supposed to help. but as you can tell by the time they dont always work....

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Yup, tis my problem haha, writing some crap up for guild on warhammer online now im so goddamn bored.

Probably *text deleted* stick with the bed time routine, 11 is good enough, can function on 4 hours sleep... problem is just waking up after it *text deleted*.

Robbie Spice

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I'm *text deleted**text deleted* at getting up in the morning but as soon as I'm up I'm up, doesn't really matter how much sleep I've had, aslong as it's not a ridiculously small amount. As soon as I'm moving and on my way to doing something I wake up no problem.

I was working in a factory earlier this year and me and my mate had ot peel price tages of clothes and stick on the new prices tags.

It was *text deleted**text deleted* but when I woke up for the job I was sound and felt fresh as soon as I got out of bed and knew I was on my way to work. As soon as I'd get there though the sleep would just come back as I just sat on a chair doing the same repetetive *text deleted**text deleted* over and over.

Can't wait for some excitement!

jamie.english

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ever tried to meditate?

Here's how you do it.
Lay there in your bed. Say to yourself (not out loud)

I feel my big toe on my right foot,
I feel my right ear.
I feel my belly button.
So on and so on. It diverts the brain to other things and helps you get relaxed really quickly.

I used to have problems sleeping. I HAVE to do my exercises 2 - 3 hours before I sleep. Otherwise, no sleep for me. Also, don't stay on the computer all night... try chiling out with a hot bath or shower, do some reading. Get a good Royal Marines book from the Library or play.com. I love to read, but I always end up falling asleep when I've only read like 2 or 3 pages.

Geryon

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I'm *text deleted**text deleted*ed at PRMC/RT. I scream in my sleep so it looks like I'll be getting a few midnight shakes :smile:

Wont you be popular :blink1:

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Sleep Patterns

Sleep loss is always a pain in the butt when you have a disrupted pattern.

If you have problems my advice is: Don't eat 2 to 3 hours before going to bed. Don't drink any caffeine drinks after lunch time. Don't drink lots of fluids a couple of hours before going to bed, you'll find you keep waking up for a slash. Try and keep and empty mind. If your mind is racing with thoughts, you'll find you won't fall off to sleep.

Don't watch Tv in your bedroom before going to sleep. Do a little reading and try and get your body into a routine.

Don't turn to sleeping pills as you can become dependant on them.

Nine tips for a good sleep

1. Avoid caffeine

Caffeine is well-known for its stimulant properties, and does nothing to help sleep. As the effects of caffeine tend to linger in the body, avoid it after the morning rush.

2. Drink camomile tea

Camomile has a calming and soothing effect on the body and is a traditional sleep-inducing remedy. Swapping a mug of camomile tea for tea or coffee after dinner helps to improve the quality and quantity of our slumber.

3. Eat lettuce

Lettuce contains a substance called lactur carium that helps promote sleep by sedating the nervous system. A crisp green salad with supper is a good option for those who tend to have difficulty dropping off at night.

4. Eat protein at supper

Waking in the night is often caused by a drop in the level of sugar in the blood stream, causing the body to secrete adrenaline. A supper comprising protein (e.g. meat, fish, eggs, tofu), vegetables, and a little starch (e.g. bread, potatoes, pasta, rice), is generally best for blood sugar sustenance.

5. Eat a banana

Bananas are rich in tryptophan, an amino acid that is converted into the calming and sleep-inducing brain chemical serotonin.

6. Take 5-hydroxytryptophan

5-HTP is the substance tryptophan is converted into on its way to becoming serotonin. In practice, 50 mg of 5-HTP (available in health food stores) taken before bedtime improves sleep in many insomniacs.

7. Take magnesium

Magnesium has a general sedating effect on the nervous system, and is one nutrient that tends to be deficient in our diets. Eating plenty of magnesium- rich foods such as green leafy vegetables, beans, pulses and nuts may help to ensure adequate intake of this nutrient. In addition, taking 400 mg of magnesium with supper seems to help.

8. Take Valerian

This herb has been found in studies to reduce the amount of time it takes to get to sleep, and it improves sleep quality. It is not addictive and seems relatively free of side-effects.

9. Take a bath

There is some evidence that a drop in body temperature helps promote sleep. Take a hot bath about an hour before bedtime and then retire to a not too heated bedroom.

Cheers

Steve

hughbrown

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i heard that looking at a pc screen disrupts yout sleep
duno if its true

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
True or False

If that was true mate, we'd all be insomniacs!!

Cheers

Steve