Sleeping naked, random bits (Split from - First day in your unit?) -

JWJ

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
If the recruiters don’t tell us to research something then it’s best not to.
Whilst the rest of the points are near enough, you still need to develop a sense of intuition and proactiveness, your mileage will vary with different CAs, some will move heaven and earth and are spot on with what they advise, others just give you the bare minimum they're told to; you can't expect to be spoonfed everything etc.

So much of the knowledge on this forum from both experienced lads who passed out and those who did not, is extra to what you're advised to research - the issue is in finding the topics or subjects that are able to be learnt online, and are actually worthwhile and not a waste of your own time. Its one of the good aspects of a forum like this, you can ask "I've found this, is this worth learning?", because at this stage you won't know instantly if its something silly - i.e you mentioned you thought about learning hand signals but then decided it was a waste of time.

Its Easter, what would Jesus think.
I imagine not all that much, lads been dead 2000 years.

tailored to a 13 year old who is not going into combat
Tell that to some of the 13 year olds, and some of the CFAVs for that.

Former AE

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
As for the sleeping nekid bit, wake up have a shower and shave, PT have a shower after, finish work have a shower and change clothing, end of the day before hitting the pit have a shower, one of life’s rituals I still do today .

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Some lads found it a real pain to remember the marksmanship principles and it earned them a lot of thrashings, and its purely just remembering them.
Yes, that is the sort of things I was hoping to get. Things that just need memorising. The weapon handling test was an example as it seemed like a set process that you can just memorise. E.g.: if something happens you do so and so because so and so and you can just memorise the theory. I never implied you can learn how to shoot from a book so I am not really sure why everyone keeps spinning on that.

Advocado

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Its so much easier to teach lads from fresh. I see this in everything I teach. I'll give some examples:

Pistol training. It's not uncommon for south african recruits to have a Glock 17 back home. Some of the drills they conduct are hard wired muscle memory movements acquired over several years which are very difficult habits to break. They might deem their drills to be safe, however if they deviate from the pamphlet, they are incorrect and need to change.

CQB. This has been changing for years and when I try and teach CQB to trained ranks there will be lads from 43, SFSG and other units who have all picked up 'fads' over the years, its a nightmare getting them to ditch their bad habits for new SOPs. (Standard Operating Procedures). Teaching recruits is easy because its all new information.

Rifle training. Cadets. Teaching former cadets kills my soul, because unfortunately some of them have been taught incorrectly and again I'm trying to break their bad habits.

Be keen and be a pest by all means, take an interest in weapons, former operations and how they were conducted, geopolitics and all that good stuff. Just don't try to teach yourself any drills.

Arrive at CTC fit, motivated and with a brain like a sponge!

JWJ

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Its so much easier to teach lads from fresh. I see this in everything I teach. I'll give some examples:

Pistol training. It's not uncommon for south african recruits to have a Glock 17 back home.
Must be a nightmare when it comes to teaching lads from N.I on the grenade range I assume.

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Let’s just easy back to ironing. What’s a good ironing time for trousers and shirts? I guess you don’t want to be spending 20 minutes on each so what is like a decent time in your experience @Advocado @Rob20 ? Thanks!

Former AE

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Have a good egg hunt !

Attachments

• 26918C72-F0A5-45F4-860D-8226259D62E9.jpeg
    26918C72-F0A5-45F4-860D-8226259D62E9.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 7

Advocado

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Let’s just easy back to ironing. What’s a good ironing time for trousers and shirts? I guess you don’t want to be spending 20 minutes on each so what is like a decent time in your experience @Advocado @Rob20 ? Thanks!

0 minutes for me mate crye doesnt need ironing!

I reckon you could iron a set of trousers in 2 minutes. Recruits don't even need to iron creases in any more!

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Have a good egg hunt !
That would go well with the “why things are seen?” topic but at this point I don’t think I should ask if that’s worth “learning” haha

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Recruits don't even need to iron creases in any more!
Whaaaat? I learned to do the ironing from the RM videos... they should update them haha well that makes life easier then

Advocado

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Yeah just iron them flat mate creases not required.

Drills shirts and phys shirts still require a sleeve crease, everything else ironed flat.

Former AE

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Advocado, I have the same problem, trying to correct wrong stuff does my head in and a throat grip to a fellow CFAV who has taught them is frowned upon.

Mosquito

Reaction score
Rifle training. Cadets. Teaching former cadets kills my soul, because unfortunately some of them have been taught incorrectly and again I'm trying to break their bad habits.
Last time I shot was 5 years ago so I'm praying my mind has forgotten it all and I can go in as a blank canvas. Shooting was my favourite thing to do though, I still have the target from my last ever shoot up in the loft somewhere

Former AE

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Live firing on the range is a doddle compared to blank firing scenarios, no firing on the move, spacing, and applying safety catch before moving gets drummed into them, going off like Usan Bolt is a no no, I use “ I’m up, he’s seen me, I’m down “ also spacing before firing, a hot empty cylinder down the neck still hurts no matter the age, as for safety catch its “ I’m moving, safety. “ then they get it.

AsdaOwn

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Whaaaat? I learned to do the ironing from the RM videos... they should update them haha well that makes life easier then
See this the point mate, through no fault of your own you keep finding incorrect or out dated information. My advice is you stick to what the recruiters tell us to learn and not get ahead of yourself

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
To be fair to the lad, the L98A2 is functionally the same as the L85A2, just minus the sear that allows for automatic fire; all the drills are the same apart from missing the step of checking the change lever. L98A1 was the rifle that was minus gas parts. But I don't see the point in being able to give a spiel on the make safe, without having any muscle memory of how to do it.

Knowing the marksmanship principles could be a good shout but thats as far as I'd advise anyone prepare on the weapons side of things; you'll get plenty of training and hands-on time with the rifle you don't need to worry about that. Some lads found it a real pain to remember the marksmanship principles and it earned them a lot of thrashings, and its purely just remembering them.

The time you spend watching weapons handling videos would be far better spent on phys, corps knowledge or the topics suggested previously. (Or at a job, working).
The drills are slightly different, the SATT team wrote the manual for cadets to use, the make ready drill is different. The field stripping is different for cadet use aswell.
Sighting system and use is different drills and function. I’ve also seen cadet instructors teach wrong principles. Cadet range drills are different, geared towards safety.

That’s without even getting into the combat shooting, CQB drills and advanced combat drills.