Sleeping naked, random bits (Split from - First day in your unit?) -

JWJ

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
The drills are slightly different, the SATT team wrote the manual for cadets to use, the make ready drill is different. The field stripping is different for cadet use aswell.
Sighting system and use is different drills and function. I’ve also seen cadet instructors teach wrong principles. Cadet range drills are different, geared towards safety.

That’s without even getting into the combat shooting, CQB drills and advanced combat drills.
To clarify I should have said the basic drills i.e up to the WHT are the same; I wasn't aware those drills are different i.e make ready except for the inclusion of checking the fire mode selector as obviously the 98 doesn't have one.

Former AE

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
We have gone away from numbers as it got confusing so it’s now,
Parade Purpose, PP, no foresight, cocking handle or working parts and barrel welded up
Drill Purpose, DP. All the bits but barrel welded and identifiable by a white band round the stock.
Live Fire, all the bits but normal mags for live and yellow mags for blank.
All the above are treated the same way as a normal weapon.

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
See this the point mate, through no fault of your own you keep finding incorrect or out dated information.
I am grateful for knowing how to iron creases in trousers. I suppose you still need to iron creases in your dress uniform?

AsdaOwn

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
See this the point mate, through no fault of your own you keep finding incorrect or out dated information. My advice is you stick to what the recruiters tell us to learn and not get ahead of yourself
Not sure why this got so many disagrees. It’s a fact confirmed by a trained rank that what he was watching was out dated. I genuinely do think sticking to what we are told to research is the way forward. Sorry to use @mace as an example but it was just to demo my point and no harm or malice meant. All I think is we focus on our fitness, learn as much as we can about the history of the Royal Marines, learn what is expected and then let the training teams do the rest. How is that wrong?

lock_stock

Reaction score
@AsdaOwn have you really picked up on how many reactions one of your previous posts has received, and then used it to question other people’s ‘focus’?

Practise what you preach; focus on the prep that you think is necessary and leave other people to go about their own prep how they see fit. It isn’t your place, as a POTENTIAL recruit, to question other people in such a patronising fashion - it’s getting tedious.

If anyone has the authority/knowledge/experience to call people out it’s the trained ranks - leave dishing out corrective criticism to the guys who’ve earned the privilege.

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure why this got so many disagrees. It’s a fact confirmed by a trained rank that what he was watching was out dated. I genuinely do think sticking to what we are told to research is the way forward. Sorry to use @mace as an example but it was just to demo my point and no harm or malice meant. All I think is we focus on our fitness, learn as much as we can about the history of the Royal Marines, learn what is expected and then let the training teams do the rest. How is that wrong?
It’s not that it is wrong it just wasn’t the question to begin with. I asked for extra homework I could study from trained ranks. I had a similar resource in mind like the map reading guide and the unofficial corps knowledge handout. I am already doing “well” with phys. There is always room for improvement and I am focusing on improving (!) so don’t take this out of context again please. What I am saying is that you can’t train 12 hours a day but I have free time (I am on sabbatical) besides regularly practicing ironing, map reading - especially since my last c0ck up regarding the eastings and northings, I doubled down on it -, and I am fairly confident with the corps history from that document. Sure I could be learning a lot more regarding history but I wanted to put my spare time towards other useful things that would require just sitting down and memorising. Also sure mentioning the weapon handling test was probably not the greatest idea as everyone looked from it from a practical, hands on thing. I looked at from a theoretical perspective. Mocking me for putting an example video for things I was interested in was also not very helpful I think. Completely missed the point what I was after. So to express it more clearly: if there is any worthy document LIKE the map reading pdf and the corps knowledge handout that I could study I would love to do that. I understand YOU don’t need to but I am asking it for me. I also appreciate the trained ranks telling me I should not look into materials for cadets, even if they are for RM cadets as the link I shared earlier (and was referring to earlier in a post and not the video).

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
It’s not that it is wrong it just wasn’t the question to begin with. I asked for extra homework I could study from trained ranks. I had a similar resource in mind like the map reading guide and the unofficial corps knowledge handout. I am already doing “well” with phys. There is always room for improvement and I am focusing on improving (!) so don’t take this out of context again please. What I am saying is that you can’t train 12 hours a day but I have free time (I am on sabbatical) besides regularly practicing ironing, map reading - especially since my last c0ck up regarding the eastings and northings, I doubled down on it -, and I am fairly confident with the corps history from that document. Sure I could be learning a lot more regarding history but I wanted to put my spare time towards other useful things that would require just sitting down and memorising. Also sure mentioning the weapon handling test was probably not the greatest idea as everyone looked from it from a practical, hands on thing. I looked at from a theoretical perspective. Mocking me for putting an example video for things I was interested in was also not very helpful I think. Completely missed the point what I was after. So to express it more clearly: if there is any worthy document LIKE the map reading pdf and the corps knowledge handout that I could study I would love to do that. I understand YOU don’t need to but I am asking it for me. I also appreciate the trained ranks telling me I should not look into materials for cadets, even if they are for RM cadets as the link I shared earlier (and was referring to earlier in a post and not the video).
No one was mocking you mate. Maybe some robust banter. Your enthusiasm isnt the problem.
Here’s some a link to some videos to point you in the right direction.

Remember being a Commando is about being a thinking mans soldier, the answers are out there, you just need to have the initiative to find it.

DJANGO

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

I think it got so many dislikes because he’d just had dozens of posts from trained ranks putting him on the right track, and there was no need for you to pipe up and single him out.

I don’t think you meant any harm by doing so, but I do think you’d benefit greatly by learning a bit of tact. Baring in mind that it’s easy to misinterpret text on forums, but from where I’m sitting it seemed like if you’d spoken down to somebody like that in real life then you’d probably be getting a smack.

Not that I’m really qualified to have an opinion on here, (being a filthy, stinking, wrap hand, wannabe-rejoiner) but sometimes saying nothing and having a bit of humility is best.

KatnissEverdeen

Reaction score
Just my take on this but you told mace in a previous thread to not get ahead of himself, yet on another thread, you're asking if there are any useful things to buy when you're at your unit. I see no problem in @mace wanting to practice his ironing skills before rt, I am doing the same ironing shirts, etc so when It comes to having to iron I am one step ahead. If someone is wanting extra homework it's not your place to tell them whether they can or can't. When you're a trained rank yes you can give advice but I see no problem in @mace wanting to practice his ironing. I cant really talk or give a properly informed opinion as I am yet to even start training, but that's my take on it so feel free to correct me

AsdaOwn

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Mate it’s not an attack on and im sorry if I upset you. I just think you need to focus on what you’ve been told to focus on. You linked a video to the wrong weapon. Then a load of trained ranks politely told you it was a silly idea for a host of reasons. Then you were learning an out dated ironing technique. You then got told that your plan to
Sleep out in your garden in combat gear was also a pretty silly idea. My point was just this is what happens when we get ahead of ourselves and try and learn too much before we arrive. Remember CTC is a learning experience and as advocado says it’s best just to focus on phys, Corps knowledge and arrive with your brain like a sponge. The Royal Marines know what they are doing mate and you don’t need to train yourself. Just focus on what we’ve been told.

JWJ

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Ironing is 100% something you should get to grips with. Its the single thing that sucks all of your sleep away during the first half of Phase 1.

Whilst that video taught him to put creases in, and they don't now, it'll be easier for him now to iron them flat compared - its still a win. He knows he'll be taught the correct way or the way he has to do it as CTC; its just practise and getting to grips with a skill - especially if you've grown up with your mum and dad doing all your laundry and ironing.

AsdaOwn

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
@AsdaOwn have you really picked up on how many reactions one of your previous posts has received, and then used it to question other people’s ‘focus’?

Practise what you preach; focus on the prep that you think is necessary and leave other people to go about their own prep how they see fit. It isn’t your place, as a POTENTIAL recruit, to question other people in such a patronising fashion - it’s getting tedious.

If anyone has the authority/knowledge/experience to call people out it’s the trained ranks - leave dishing out corrective criticism to the guys who’ve earned the privilege.
You’ve just signed up and this is your second post, chill out. I’m trying to help @mace as he’s sleeping outside in his garden and is barking up wrong trees continually. That’s all!

AsdaOwn

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ironing is 100% something you should get to grips with. Its the single thing that sucks all of your sleep away during the first half of Phase 1.

Whilst that video taught him to put creases in, and they don't now, it'll be easier for him now to iron them flat compared - its still a win. He knows he'll be taught the correct way or the way he has to do it as CTC; its just practise and getting to grips with a skill - especially if you've grown up with your mum and dad doing all your laundry and ironing.
I didn’t say ironing wasn’t mate but if you go back and read what has been said you’ll see that he needs to iron the items flat and not with creases. He’s doing it the old way is all

Reaction score

Respectfully, I'd work on not letting stuff that doesn't really matter get to get you as much.

A lot doesn't make immediate sense in the military, and you will be seen-off, messed about and spoken to like a five-year-old at times. If you react like this to everything that seems not-quite-right, you're not likely to last very long.

Reactions: JWJ

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
No one was mocking you mate. Maybe some robust banter. Your enthusiasm isnt the problem.
Here’s some a link to some videos to point you in the right direction.

Remember being a Commando is about being a thinking mans soldier, the answers are out there, you just need to have the initiative to find it.
I am well aware of this, thank you. Already penciled out the the whole series. So let me highlight: OTHER THAN map reading, corps history, phyz and ironing or any other admin.
Is the “why things are seen” or these two videos contain up to date knowledge?

Again, if anyone is going to write that you don’t need to know it, please don’t. I understand it. I am not asking if it’s required. I am simply asking for any extra resources from a trained rank I could possible study in my free time on top of the rest. You don’t need to do the same. If there isn’t such thing that could be shared just say that and I will leave it at that. Many thanks!

lock_stock

Reaction score
You’ve just signed up and this is your second post, chill out. I’m trying to help @mace as he’s sleeping outside in his garden and is barking up wrong trees continually. That’s all!
The advice “ears open, mouth shut” has been given numerous times on this forum - my ‘lack’ of posts is testament to me trying to follow it. You should do the same Smart Price. Good luck with your application - I’ve been through the process and have my start date for ROP so if you have any queries about any of the stages, please drop me a PM and I’ll help as best I can!

JWJ

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I just seen @mace emailed the publishers of a royal marine survival book to tell them that they printed incorrect information about map reading before noticing he was the one who was wrong. This is my point about not getting ahead of ourselves and confusing ourselves before training. Some good points in that thread mate
Little bit sad to be honest - if you put as much effort into squaring yourself away and being a good egg as you do trying to one-up on here, you'd be a KB for sure.