Sleeping naked, random bits (Split from - First day in your unit?) -

Chelonian

Reaction score
Not aimed at anyone in particular but what the fück is happening on this and other threads over recent days? For clarity, that's a rhetorical question.

Please refrain from sniping at and bickering about the content of other forum user's opinions. Disagreement is fine; challenging opinions is fine too.
But please play the ball, not the man. Or the woman. Or whatever.

Thank you.

Vine

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I’m Not aimed at anyone in particular but what the fück is happening on this and other threads over recent days? For clarity, that's a rhetorical question.

Please refrain from sniping at and bickering about the content of other forum user's opinions. Disagreement is fine; challenging opinions is fine too.
But please play the ball, not the man. Or the woman. Or whatever.

Thank you.

Attachments

• DC5A6E73-6751-4164-B6BB-51536FA94710.jpeg
    DC5A6E73-6751-4164-B6BB-51536FA94710.jpeg
    40.1 KB · Views: 13

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Fight night posts deleted (again). I think people are getting a bit pee'd with it all. We'll just start banning people if it continues.

If you want to start battling each other, take it to the private messaging system.

KatnissEverdeen

Reaction score
I think what's important to keep in mind is whenever challenging someone's opinion is to always be respectful, and not let the argument get too personal. Even though you disagree with them, challenge their opinion in a calm and respectful way. I am in my school's debating team and trust me a lot of times someone's argument can be extremely stupid and not well thought out to the point it's aggravating but I would never let the argument get personal, I would always rebut them respectivlty.

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If I ever knew asking for extra homework for myself is going to have such a reaction I would never have bothered. Sorry for any trouble caused unless it entertained a couple of you.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
If I ever knew asking for extra homework for myself is going to have such a reaction I would never have bothered. Sorry for any trouble caused unless it entertained a couple of you.
This is for everyone, not just yourself and not just about this thread. You can flag "report" a post if you feel the post is unfair or unnecessarily combative and the moderators will sort it. We've taken a bit of a hands off attitude but that was my mistake. Maybe I got freedom of speech/opinions live blurred with freedom to insult - but it's sorted now.

gumpo

Reaction score
Slightly off topic and I know it’s been mentioned before, but I would really recommend looking into stoicism (especially the younger ones on here) arguably developing a more stoic mindset would serve you well to join the military and also probably avoid 99.99 percent of online arguments. Just a thought.

Mosquito

Reaction score
Slightly off topic and I know it’s been mentioned before, but I would really recommend looking into stoicism (especially the younger ones on here) arguably developing a more stoic mindset would serve you well to join the military and also probably avoid 99.99 percent of online arguments. Just a thought.
Old Granny Mosquito said to me on her deathbed "there's no need to get upset over things you can't change." Still live by that to this day

twigtree

Reaction score
I think lockdown and the hot weather is getting to peoples heads *text deleted* this forum reads more like Facebook every day that goes by haha

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
When I was at 43 one of the other troops was down on numbers and I picked the short straw and was ripped in with them. Went into the showers for my evening dhobi, and nearly died of shock. We had heard rumours of the size of a certain marines battle winning asset. But seeing it in the flesh was something else. You could hoist the colours on that thing. I felt sincerely sorry for anyone venturing into relations with that man. It looked like one of those giant pepper shakers you get in an Italian restaurant.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Can we get back to talking about willies?
Willies. I knew a bloke who served on HMS Eagle in the 1960s. He worked on a busy flight deck with F4 Phantom jets.

But his best dit (as you gents say) was about a mattress change. One of his oppos leapt off his upper bunk not realising that one of his testicles had dropped between the springs of his bunk. Eeew!

Reaction score
A decent translation of Marcus Aurellius' Meditations is a good starter.

JWJ

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score

decent little quick read about RM and stoicism
One thing I want to pick up on what he said there, (ref emotions) “it’s not that I didn’t have them ...but that I concealed them”.

I just want to highlight that Stoic philosophy does not mean you act like you’re made of stone and are unaffected by situations or events, but that you do not let emotional responses incapacitate your ability to think and control your actions.

Every man even the most sage Stoic experiences emotions, but they recognise if they’re helpful or not and then consciously decide to limit them in order to prevent their decision making or situation being unduly affected by them.

The common example is of a Stoic on a sinking ship in the days before Christ. As the rest of the passengers and crew ran around completely overwhelmed by panic and emotion, he stood calmly assessing the situation. Later when asked why he did not react, he said he did react, but letting himself be controlled by emotion was not helpful nor going to change his situation, so he pushed through his fear and panic to regain his mental composure.