Slightly odd

Priar

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
During my PRMC at Lympstone we had a lecture on training. The Corporal explained to us all how important it was to consume food in the Golden hour after training. Now I've known this for years, this was no surprise, what I did find interesting though is that after every training session, we had at least 1-2 hours before we were fed again.

Another thing which I found odd was that they ban all the recruits from purchasing and consuming supplements and yet they sell them in the shop on the base. I saw a number of staff carrying Maximuscle shakers with them.

It just seems slightly backwards to me that they understand nutritional requirements of the body post training and they are aware of the benefits of supplements, yet you are not allowed to follow the advice given!?

Does anyone (meaning someone who has worked there or is training there) understand why this is?

christomo

Reaction score
i cant see why they would even bother telling you this if they wasnt going to encourage you to follow it, very strange

and i dont understand why they wudnt let you take supplements anyway, i cant think of any bad reasons for taking them

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Few things on supplements. First off, is that they cannot control the content of how much you take in, or what exactly you take. If one trooper is taking tons of creatine, he's going to be sucking more water then the other trooper. Also one taking whey protein might have more energy in the morning when he's used to taking it, but might crash without it when your in the field.

Also not everyone wants to spend money on supplements. Would be another problem if certain people were fitter and getting better grades cause they were spending all of there money on supplements. Being in a unit means everyone gets treated the same in training. Same weapons, boots, clothes, everything. No one gets special treatment. Of course once you pass out, you can do whatever it is you want when it comes to LEGAL supplements. I think you can even buy your own pair of combat boots.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Few things on supplements. First off, is that they cannot control the content of how much you take in, or what exactly you take. If one trooper is taking tons of creatine, he's going to be sucking more water then the other trooper. Also one taking whey protein might have more energy in the morning when he's used to taking it, but might crash without it when your in the field.

Also not everyone wants to spend money on supplements. Would be another problem if certain people were fitter and getting better grades cause they were spending all of there money on supplements. Being in a unit means everyone gets treated the same in training. Same weapons, boots, clothes, everything. No one gets special treatment.

Spot on, excellent answer.

There have been problems with young recruits thinking they MUST buy supplements and parents have previously complained that their sons were spending £20 per week on unnecessary items such as supplements.

The danger with supplements is they are just that- they are NOT a replacement for food and your diet in Lympstone is carefully calculated to ensure it is correctly balanced to give a correct calorific intake together with the natural vitamins required to keep you healthy.

As often stated, some supplements are also geared to help you gain muscle mass and when you're in Recruit Training you honestly do not want to be carrying anymore mass than is absolutely necessary. Afterwards, as Ty says, it's up to you if you want to look like Arnie.

christomo

Reaction score

Also not everyone wants to spend money on supplements. Would be another problem if certain people were fitter and getting better grades cause they were spending all of there money on supplements. Being in a unit means everyone gets treated the same in training. Same weapons, boots, clothes, everything. No one gets special treatment. Of course once you pass out, you can do whatever it is you want when it comes to LEGAL supplements. I think you can even buy your own pair of combat boots.

great answer, thanks for that