Slow AFCO

smallzy

Reaction score
Hi guys. So I phoned up the Careers Enquirers number on the RM website. They said they'd pass on all my information to the AFCO in Edinburgh. That was about 10 days ago.
They said I would get a phone call back, and i'd get an email + letter through the post, but none of that has happened yet. Should I just phone up the AFCO and ask for an appointment?

I want to join as soon as possible, and would preferably want to hand in my application form before I turn 18 in two weeks time, just so I know that my career choice is set in stone before I become an adult :)

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Careful saying your career is set in stone mate, many many things could stop you joining.
I had the same problem as you, so I phoned my AFCO and was told that if you live within a certain distance of an AFCO then they dont phone you its up to you to go in and see them or something like that, I personaly thought there was a cock up along the line, so they just said that. I may be wrong though, sure Ninja could clarify. So yea, give them a ring buddy. Coincidentaly the same thing happened to a mate of mine.

smallzy

Reaction score
Yeah what I meant were I had my plans sorted, sorry about that.

I'll give them a ring tomorrow. How do I find their phone number? Should be on the RM/navy site right?

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
heh smallzy i saw your q on the marine chat earlier, i'd pop into your local AFCO, pick up the paper work fill it out. done. the stuff you get from the phone line is just info anyway if you know what you want to do go into your AFCO, the adviser will sit you down and chat you through it give you all te paper work etc

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Edinburgh AFCO phone number is 221-1111.

Or you could just go to the AFCO, if you know all your details I reckon you could fill in the forms there but you need alot of general info for the app form and security form, which you could ofcourse take.

GL.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
To be fair Edinburgh is one of the busiest UK AFCOs.

If you ring the 03456 07 55 55 number you get to talk to someone who is trained, employed and dedicated to specifically answer all your telephone questions and send the same leaflets that you can download from the RM or RN websites. Generally you will get an information pack & either a telephone call or email inviting you to attend a presentation within 2-3 weeks if you want it to happen quicker you have to take the initiative.

If you ring your AFCO direct, you will still get the answers but the person answering your queries has a plethora of other tasks including "walk-in" enquirers, so cannot always give you undivided telephone attention due to all the other tasks involved in an AFCO.

When all's said & done, if you get off you butt and walk into an AFCO things will happen much faster as you have demonstrated motivation and initiative.

For an application form you will need to go to the AFCO anyway so that the guys/girls can check your eligibility whilst they have a swift informal chat with you- this way it saves ineligible candidates going through the trauma of getting so far down the recruiting pipeline only to discover they aren't eligible.

Hope that helps clarify. Remember if you want to be a Marine you have to be fit- lifting a telephone may not be enough!

smallzy

Reaction score
To be fair Edinburgh is one of the busiest UK AFCOs.

If you ring the 03456 07 55 55 number you get to talk to someone who is trained, employed and dedicated to specifically answer all your telephone questions and send the same leaflets that you can download from the RM or RN websites. Generally you will get an information pack & either a telephone call or email inviting you to attend a presentation within 2-3 weeks if you want it to happen quicker you have to take the initiative.

If you ring your AFCO direct, you will still get the answers but the person answering your queries has a plethora of other tasks including "walk-in" enquirers, so cannot always give you undivided telephone attention due to all the other tasks involved in an AFCO.

When all's said & done, if you get off you butt and walk into an AFCO things will happen much faster as you have demonstrated motivation and initiative.

For an application form you will need to go to the AFCO anyway so that the guys/girls can check your eligibility whilst they have a swift informal chat with you- this way it saves ineligible candidates going through the trauma of getting so far down the recruiting pipeline only to discover they aren't eligible.

Hope that helps clarify. Remember if you want to be a Marine you have to be fit- lifting a telephone may not be enough!

Thanks a lot. I suppose you're right, i'll get the bus through as soon as I can and get things moving.