Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Small arms

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by Chelonian, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Nothing to do with the length of limbs but a YouTube channel that might be of interest to some. Forgotten Weapons focuses on the development and history of twentieth and twenty-first century military weapons.
    Don’t expect good ol’ boys blasting down the range but rather a thoughtful, nicely filmed look at the evolution of specific weapons, including the current SA80 system.
    A couple of examples from the channel below.

L129A1 Sharpshooter rifle

L42A1 Sniper rifle

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. The guide

The guide Ex RAF, Ex Royal Marines, now RN.! go figure

Damn , I was going to say the lady on silent witness ( and no, not the very foxy Miss Fox)

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  3. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I haven't watched Silent Witness for several series so I did a Google search of the cast and exploded a mouthful of tea when I understood the reference! :)

Agree about the fragrant Emilia. Vic Reeves definitely dropped the ball.

4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

M134 Minigun. Definitely not in the 'small arms' category despite what the fantasy world of Hollywood suggests but interesting nonetheless.
    The whole video gives an overview of a fascinating mechanism and is arguably more engaging viewing than Come Dancing.

Hooligans only interested in a firepower demo might skip to about 18:00 in the video.

As an aside, commercial civilian .308 (7.62mm NATO) rounds can cost about £1 each. The M134’s rate of fire is about 70 rounds per second. :eek:

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Reminds me of a colleague of mine, who was being fitted for their parade uniform by a Naval tailor.

"The sleeves need taking-up" stated the tailor, marking the cuffs with a dab of French chalk.

"That's probably because I completed a small arms course recently" quipped my oppo.

Not even a smile. ;)

• Hoofin Hoofin x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Cheezy hammy eggy

Cheezy hammy eggy Valuable Contributor

The good old days of Jack Blair!
    :)

7. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

My god, I have never been so sexually confused in all my life. Can you be sexually attracted to weapons?

Don’t judge me you racist bigots!

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  8. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

The twin rubber trigger buttons might be considered by some to resemble nipples. :eek:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  9. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

A recent addition to the Forgotten Weapons series of videos detailing the development and design of what became the L1A1 SLR. For obsessives there is also a nice segment on the 1x optical sight which was also trialled on the EM2 bullpup prototype:

This YouTube channel also contains a comprehensive series of videos about the development of the current SA80 (L85) weapon system. The videos focus on development and design and not on weapon handling drills. There is a time and a place for that and it’s not here. :)

• Like Like x 2
  10. Harry McRunFast

Harry McRunFast Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Brilliant YouTube channel. Perfect lazy Sunday viewing for those who still need some stimulation!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Grey man

Grey man Royal Marines Commando

975A6A65-3B14-45F1-A629-F7CEF40CAEC3.jpeg

On this topic here is a rather interesting article that appeared in G&L. Publication is sanitised for public consumption. Note the article is from 2011 & note the important role the SBS played in what is now the SA80 A3.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Grey man

@Chelonian

Many moons ago I heard a rumour, a rumour I am much to young to ever substantiate. I recall hearing that if you put a matchstick in a certain place you could turn the SLR from single into a full Auto?

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  13. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

A good find. I've been scratching my head about where to find that article again.

To be honest, at the time it struck me as being a strange article which officially countered the confidence that must surely be instilled in those trained to use the SA-80 or any other weapon system.

I've heard that too. Obviously such a modification would be unlawful and unreliable. :)
    Although I did borrow a few Swan Vestas from time-to-time. The match heads could be crushed and mixed with spit to make a paste which was very effective at cleaning carbon from gas parts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  14. Rover

Rover Moderator

Taught by Gilbert Rex..:cool:

'Stiff Finger' a Browning 9mm for full auto.o_O;):)

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Grey man

Howe= Borneo’s nightmare :D

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  16. Rover

Rover Moderator

For those who never knew Gilly.......

A number on this web site will have heard about Blondie Hasler and Bill Sparks as being seen as two of the founder members of the SBS.

Few would have heard of Gilly Howe a long time member of the SBS. Just a short bio as there is just not the space to give full justice to the dits of his life.

Gilbert Rex Howe (Gilly) passed away on Saturday the 10th December 2017 aged 87

Gilly joined Royal Marines at Deal in 1946, after infantry and advanced field training at Dalditch and Bickleigh he moved to Eastney for gunnery training and thence to Chatham for Kings Squad pass out.

Gilly then joined HMS Sheffield in 1947 for North Atlantic and West Indies cruise, and experienced gunboat diplomacy against Guatemalans in Belize. He then joined 40 Cdo in 1948 in Malta and travelled with them to Hong Kong and then to Malaya for the Emergency. Gilly was awarded DCM on operations in Malaya.

He then returned to Royal Marines Barracks, Stonehouse in 1951 for involvement in the London Lord Mayors Show and the Cenotaph commemorations. In 1952 he was drafted to HMS Vanguard as Corporal of the Gangway for Home Fleet visits to Holland and the Arctic Circle.

Late the same year to RMB Eastney for the SC3 course, Aldershot/Abingdon for parachute training and, on completion back to Eastney as Boat Team Cpl and qualified as SC2 in 1953 he was then drafted to HMS Royal Prince in Krefeld, Germany, for duties with the Rhine Squadron. He then returned to Poole in 1956 and was Promoted to Sgt and served as an instructor and as Sgt Major, 2 SBS.

He was then drafted to 42 Cdo in 1962 completing tours in Borneo during the confrontations. Gilly was founder of the combat tracker teams using dogs and Iban tribesmen. He was awarded the MM during confrontation as part of a combat tracker team engagement.

Returning to the UK in 1964 and fulfilled both training and operational roles including detachments to Gibraltar during Spanish 'sabre rattling' and border closure.

Whilst at Poole he became deeply involved in revolutionary CQB techniques and long range pistol shooting, and was instrumental in refining techniques for the take down of terrorist strongholds on oil platforms and ships at sea. He was awarded the BEM and MSM during this period.

CSgt Howe left the Corps in 1978. Gilly is something of a legend among his SBS peers, and deservedly so. His ideas and exemplary leadership have influenced many who have worked with, or come after him.

As a mark of respect the SBSA flag has been lowered to half mast.

C/Sgt Gilbert Rex Howe DCM MM BEM, joined the Corps 1946.

Distinquished Conduct Medal for Malaya London Gazette 12.6.51. Presented at Buckingham Palace, King George VI 14.11.51.

Military Medal for Borneo London Gazette 17.11.64. Presented at Buckingham Palace by Queen Elizabeth II March 1965.

British Empire Medal 1976 Presented by CGRM Sir Peter Whitely.

Meritorious Service Medal, presented Januaary 1977 by Maj. Gen. P.L. Spurgeon.

LS&GC Medal 1962 and clasp 1977.

He also knocked off a considerable 3 Hours and 12 Minutes for the Devizes - Westminster canoe event with Marine Tandy.

RIP Gilly.

Not By Strength, By Gilly.

• Like Like x 3
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  17. Moonduster

Moonduster Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    Google maps says that would take 2hrs 20mins in a car... he really must have been superhuman if he did it in 3hrs 12mins in a canoe?

Reading it again, I assume it means that they did it 3hrs 12mins quicker than the previous best -banghead-

18. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Correct. The record is around 15 hours.

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  19. Rover

Rover Moderator

o_O

It is the term ‘knocked off’ that is the clue.;)
    Then again if they sat in the canoe whilst attached to the roof of a vehicle....o_O:):)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Having a few precious minutes of free time before a member of my family either gave me something to mend or a crisis to resolve I took a squiz at ARRSE. Surprisingly there are seven pages of posts discussing SLRs and matchsticks. :eek: Much of the content is just potty-mouthed, amusing bollocks though:

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/slr-and-matchsticks.47491/

My favourite SLR story is one repeated by @Ninja_Stoker which suggested that when the bronze from Crimean War cannons runs out HM The Queen has decreed that the Victoria Cross will be cast from the melted down remains of the L1A1. Peace be upon it. :)

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2