Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Small arms

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by Chelonian, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Apex

Apex Former RM Commando

The SLR was hampered by the fact that it could fire only single shots, and by its length and weight. Almost identical FN’s used by the Argies were fully automatic.

2. Moonduster

Moonduster Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    I knew they were almost identical but didn't know their's were automatic... did anyone 'borrow' an Argie one when it became available or was that frowned upon?! I assume that the rounds were interchangeable?

I'd imagine that fire discipline was the motivation behind the single shot SLR in much the same way as the auto setting on the SA80 is frowned upon (I believe!).

3. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Assuming that both weapons were chambered for 7.62 NATO then yes, rounds were interchangeable.

The L1A1 SLR is often referred to as the "Inch" FAL because it was built under licence in the UK to imperial measurements. The Argentine FAL were "Metric" and built under licence in Argentina.

From memory, the magazines of one version can fit both weapons but the magazines of the other version can fit only the weapon for which it is designed. But I can never remember which way around it is. :confused: Someone might know.

Edited to add: Having re-read my post I'd like to clarify that I am not an SLR bore. I'm a Lee-Enfield bore. :) There is a difference.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  4. Apex

Apex Former RM Commando

Our SLR was designed by the Belgian FN arms concern. It was designated L1A1 until the introduction of the SA80 in the 1980s. With the exception of the SBS and SAS who carried M16s all the rest of us deployed with SLR.