Smart Casual/Civilian?

Ripcord

Reaction score
What does "Smart Casual/Civilian actually mean? Would I be better off going to the RMR Presentation evening in trousers and a shirt with no tie? You only get one chance to make a good first impression. Or will I look a clown if everyone else is in jeans?

OneMoreWrap

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
It dosn't hurt to wear a shirt and tie. Even if everyone else is in civvies (jeans and tee) then you will stand out for looking smarter than the rest.

MacheteMeetsBiscuit

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I dressed as you would for a night out - polo shirt, plain dark jeans, proper shoes.

The average dress was jeans and a t-shirt with one lad even wearing trackies so try and make a good impression without going totally overboard. Also recommend getting a haircut within a few days before so it looks tidy.

Harvs

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I wore exactly what Machete said. A polo, jeans and some proper shoes. There's was only two others lads at my presentation. They were dressed in similar attire.

Wilke

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Inspiration

Overkill inc? I got nothing better to do now anyway

No physical work involved; not much moving around: no need for boots, you can wear leather shoes (which usually kill your feet when walking long distances but in this case they are perfect)
People are usually focused on their tasks, they have pretty tight schedule so they don?t socialize that much: no flashy colors, not too much layering or standing out through accessories which will distract attention
The workspace is small, lights are mostly artificial, people work in cubicals: don?t wear too many layers of clothes, don?t stand out too much
People either are or becoming professionals in this field so they need to be taken seriously: wear darker colors but have something that makes you stand out in a subtle way. You don?t want to be perceived as too relaxed or too cool.

Now it?s time to make two lists: one with clothing items you can wear, and one with items you cant? wear.
You can wear?

dress pants, chinos
dress shirts
ties
leather shoes, loafers
formal/slim belts
sports jackets
cardigans
sleevless vests
watches

You can or cannot wear jeans, depending on your type of job. But if you can, do avoid them in business-casual situations. For instance, if you?re a programmer, it?s most likely that all your colleagues are wearing jeans and t-shirt. Go one step further and wear jeans and a shirt.
You can?t wear?

Sneakers, slip-ons
t-shirts
leather bracelets
sandals
leather jackets
? and so on

But wait! There?s one critical factor that you need to consider before deciding what to wear to work on Monday morning. And that factor is?
http://www.bestylish.org/blog/index.php/formal-wear/the-smart-casual-dress-code-for-men