Smoking

Bear4236

Reaction score
so I’ve been smoking for about 8 years, used to smoke quite a bit but down to 10 a day now and no more, sometimes less, I know it’s a boredom thing with me cause when I’m busy eg. In work I don’t have cravings until I sit down in the canteen. And when my daughter was born I didn’t smoke for a week because I didn’t leave the house and was only when I got in the car to go to the shop I seen them eyeing me up from the dashboard :( I’m not looking to know how to stop I’m *text deleted* go cold turkey as I’ve started my application and really want to get my fitness into gear, but I see a lot of people saying about putting on weight.. is this because you tend to eat more when you quit or is it something to do with changes in the chemicals in your body that you can’t do anything about? Really hope it’s not the latter as I’m already about 13st don’t need any more weight and definitely not any fat!

robbo09

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
so I’ve been smoking for about 8 years, used to smoke quite a bit but down to 10 a day now and no more, sometimes less, I know it’s a boredom thing with me cause when I’m busy eg. In work I don’t have cravings until I sit down in the canteen. And when my daughter was born I didn’t smoke for a week because I didn’t leave the house and was only when I got in the car to go to the shop I seen them eyeing me up from the dashboard :( I’m not looking to know how to stop I’m *text deleted* go cold turkey as I’ve started my application and really want to get my fitness into gear, but I see a lot of people saying about putting on weight.. is this because you tend to eat more when you quit or is it something to do with changes in the chemicals in your body that you can’t do anything about? Really hope it’s not the latter as I’m already about 13st don’t need any more weight and definitely not any fat!

Mind over matter.

Eat right and with plenty of training you shouldn’t be putting fat on, muscle is denser than fat though so don’t get too alarmed if you see your weight going slightly up.

MumtoRM

Reaction score
Smoking increases your metabolism so when you stop, if you eat the same and no more, you will gain weight!

However, you are young so up your exercise, don’t snack to replace the smokes and you’ll be fine!

Tic tacs are great if you need to resort to anything.

Remember, smoking adds no value to your life at all!

Good luck!

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
Smoking increases your metabolism so when you stop, if you eat the same and no more, you will gain weight!

However, you are young so up your exercise, don’t snack to replace the smokes and you’ll be fine!

Tic tacs are great if you need to resort to anything.

Remember, smoking adds no value to your life at all!

Good luck!
Are you still a non smoker??

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I smoked constantly and regularly between the ages of about 15 to 42 and used the excuse that I didn't want to quit because of weight gain.

I've been completely cigarette-free for over a decade and blame weight gain on quitting, rather than admitting I don't do enough phys and my diet is rubbish, but tasty.

The choice is yours but don't make excuses like I do.

For the record, not because of evangalistic self-righteousness, I smoked about 20 or 30 a day and found quitting hellishly difficult. I became addicted to a nicotene inhilator for about six months (predecessor to vaping), but it helped enormously. Do I miss smoking, yep daily, but have resisted the temptation & never got into vaping.

If you have the strength of character to quit smoking, you probably have the dogged determination to gain a green beret. Yes, many Royals smoke, but the longer you smoke the harder it is.

Become addicted to phys rather than fags, it's much cheaper.

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
Some people won't want to hear this, but I smoked all the way through RT and beyond and I had no more problems fitness wise than a non smoker.

RT was around the same length of time, it was as physically challenging as now and the Commando Tests were exactly the same and the only problem that held me up was a knee injury 4 weeks from pass out.

It was only when in a Unit and I was involved in an altercation with a car, (don't ask), and ended up in RNH Plymouth and amongst other problems I was told I had a lung problem and if I didn't quit within 10 years I would not be able to run up a flight of stairs.

To say that this hit home was an understatement. I was in the Royal Marines, as fit as anyone, was not suffering any ill effects, but was told I had a developing lung problem, so I quit. No patches, nothing, just cold turkey.

It was probably one of my better decisions, as in later years both my parents and sister died of smoking related illnesses and I'm still here, still going to the gym, still shuffling around the streets of Exmouth and best of all, no health problems!

My advice? Stop now and save yourself a whole host of health problems down the line.

Alan

Kangarooj

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I tried it once and burnt my eye on the smoke.
I now do not smoke, and probably never will.

Last edited:

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Some people won't want to hear this, but I smoked all the way through RT and beyond and I had no more problems fitness wise than a non smoker.
Yep, I hear this frequently. I reckon, fairly obviously, the longer we smoke (and obviously the older we are), the more noticeable the effect.

Those in the prime recruit age group of 19-23 are probably OK unless they started smoking in primary school. Those 25+ are more likely to notice the effect in recruit trainng.

Either way, you don't see many porky-pigs in Kings Squad non-smokers or otherwise.

cc1

(former RM)
Reaction score
My bivvy partner used to smoke like a chimney. I remember, during one of the latter exercises, we were piss-wet through and absolutely hanging out after a massive yomp and I turned to him and said "Mate, I have no idea how you get through RT smoking as much as you do..." and his succinct reply was: "I dunno how you get through RT without it!" :D

Rover

Reaction score
Had one person who was as thin as a rake and the proverbial ‘racing snake’ also a heavy smoker. He was also on the Olympic Canoeing Team.o_O

An attached Dutch Officer measured time and distance in cigarettes. When asked how long from A to B, “Perhaps three cigarettes”! :)

cc1

(former RM)
Reaction score
An attached Dutch Officer measured time and distance in cigarettes. When asked how long from A to B, “Perhaps three cigarettes”! :)

There's something incredibly infectious about the pragmatism of the Dutch.

The literal translation for "binoculars" in Dutch is: 'Far away lookers'.

MumtoRM

Reaction score
Are you still a non smoker??
Indeed I am!

19 months free of the nicodemon!

My son smoked through RT and was PT Medallist but has tried many times since to quit.

My advice, don't 'romance the fag' - read all you can on nicotene addiction as it goes deeper than the physical effects. Download the Smoke Free app, join a forum (won't be as good as this one though!) and adopt the daily NOPE pledge - Not One Puff Ever!

You do not need that poison in your life - it adds no value!

Clumsy

Reaction score
If I were you I'd start by cutting down. If your phys isn't improving then quit.

I stopped cold turkey for a year before joining. But as soon as I started RT, I started smoking again. My fitness didn't change as far as I know. As a matter of fact my BFT went from 9:03 to 8:28. But that's probably to do with the raging sergant running next to me "Dont be a sh*t c*text deleted*t ! Don't slow down. You should only be speeding up!"

He loved that phrase and actually gave us a mini lecture about it once. About how been a sh*t c*text deleted*t was the worst thing that can happen to you and the title would be almost impossible to get rid of. We all lived in fear of becoming the troop sh*t c*text deleted*t.

Ballista

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I smoked from about age 15 until I was 20/21 and been vaping since then. If you're really stuck on the fags it might be something to consider but doing neither would definitely be better. I'm probably going to have to quit altogether or just save it for weekends once I'm in RT because I'm going to look like a bloody plonker stood outside blowing out plumes of sickly sweet vapour.