SMOSE timeframe

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
My medical case was referred to this as I had a falling out with capita and basically refused to have another medical appointment/paper note with them this was nearly 2 weeks ago.

Just a hard to position to be in with me bein 28 , giving up all sports and having to stick to a diet from bein so close BMI wise and just keeping motivated fitness wise.
I left the gym very early today due to not having the motivation i have done this a few times lately it’s just down to bein in a position where I don’t know what’s happening with my application and is causing serious doubt.

Has anyone been in this position and know how long it took them for a decision back? I spoke to my afco Monday and was told the SMOSE received my papers last week but I don’t *text deleted* ring them to often asking what’s happening , I was asked if I wanted to spend the night on a look at unit life at 40 commando in 3 weeks time but due to not knowing what’s happening I had to decline from not wanting to get my hopes up of something that may not arise.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
My medical case was referred to this as I had a falling out with capita and basically refused to have another medical appointment/paper note with them this was nearly 2 weeks ago.

Just a hard to position to be in with me bein 28 , giving up all sports and having to stick to a diet from bein so close BMI wise and just keeping motivated fitness wise.
I left the gym very early today due to not having the motivation i have done this a few times lately it’s just down to bein in a position where I don’t know what’s happening with my application and is causing serious doubt.

Has anyone been in this position and know how long it took them for a decision back? I spoke to my afco Monday and was told the SMOSE received my papers last week but I don’t *text deleted* ring them to often asking what’s happening , I was asked if I wanted to spend the night on a look at unit life at 40 commando in 3 weeks time but due to not knowing what’s happening I had to decline from not wanting to get my hopes up of something that may not arise.

@Ninja_Stoker is the guru mate. He should be able to steer you in the right direction.

Don’t lose motivation lad. It’s not over until it’s over. Your on the ropes but your not out yet. Bash on regardless.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Reading between the lines it kind of sounds like you are TMU due to having a high bmi and aren't happy about it. Is that correct, or are you referred to smose for a different reason? You do not make yourself clear.

If that's correct, are you stil doing weight training at the gym & is your waist measurement over 95 cms?

SMOSE referrals are usually turned around in about four weeks on average, depending on what the issue is.

If you just need to lose weight that's down to you but you need to be doing cv exercise, not weights, as well as dieting. If there are other medical issues referred to SMOSE then without a crystal ball I'm not able to help further.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
My apologies didn’t realise I never explained it!

Basically end of August i had 1st medical it was failed due to BMI slightly over so I had 2nd medical 4 weeks later in September to get in the limit to which I passed everything and was told I could progress to book my pjft and was told I wouldn’t need anything else again and would receive the papers from afco.

I get home and I have been made tmu through an email stating that due to capita not having my old army medical records which capita the doctor didn’t have in front of him and a medical notes on an ankle issue I listed as “Sprained” on the medical questionnaire saying it was sprained all it was I was out in cast 7 years ago at a&e after a football match to stop me carrying on playing there was no medical issue was just a nock.

Fast forward to end of October capita had all my medical docs including information from my gp and my army records which they already had it was referred to a paper note medical to which they can’t make a decision either.

I had an argument with them over the phone basically because 1st medical was told was only BMI I need to sort out then 2nd medical it was something else yet again then after the paper note medical it seems it’s to do with my heart issue know which isn’t an issue at all and I have upto date ecg and original copies to prove this which wasn’t even mentioned in my first 2 medicals and was told everything was fine as had evidence.

I was told by capita I can have a 3rd medical appointment for what reason I don’t have a clue and told them it doesn’t make sense to have another one your just messing me about so this is why it was referred to the SMO as capita just kept telling me different reasons rather than say it all at once.
So honest truth I’m not quite sure what reason I’m not bein passed or failed on my own gp even wrote letters and had the proof it was fine there own medical doctors passed it as fine but then it was trying to get me another medical appointment so I chose to refer it instead as it was becoming a bit of a joke.
It’s not giving up that’s the issue it’s more of I’m 28 I’m having to keep my weight off and then keep motivated training for something I don’t no wether it’s going to take 2 weeks or 6 months and what I’m exactly bein kept back from in the first place that’s the frustrating part in it all.

I’m not going to lie my fitness this past month has been horrendous I can’t motivate myself due to not knowing the outcome and having friends/family ask what’s happening or when will I know is something I have to answer with “I don’t know myself or how long” so yea it’s a very hard position to be in.

I have to ring the afco Monday as I should have an answer then I was told regarding what’s happening .

New Threads