Socks

Lightspeed

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have recieved my kit list today and socks don't seemed to be listed, is this because it's just expected you'll turn up with a few pairs of good sock or are they issued in ROP? If I do need to bring socks with me, could anyone recommend some for me to buy?

Also, in terms of underwear I saw @mace recommend these in another thread...

https://www.underarmour.co.uk/en-gb/mens-ua-tech-23-cm-boxerjock-–-2-pack/1363622.html

They seem like they'd certainly do the job so I will probably order some, unless anyone knows of anything better? Also the kit list says I need 7 pairs of underwear, do all 7 pairs need to be like these? or would I be better off bringing some "normal" underwear aswell?

Cheers.

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
You will need civvy socks for normal wear and when in civvy PTrig- military one,s are issued as part of your kit issue for when in any type of issue kit! -black sock for drill / green socks for in the field and also sock for when in the gym.

Tegridy_terry

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Green socks for the field? Haha how long has that been a thing?

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
For like ever, certainly 70,s ..and Arctic socks are white, maybe with a little red band at top if you get good old style ones

Tegridy_terry

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
They stopped doing the Arctic red band ones a few years back, now they’re just thick white ones. Even jungle/desert are white... However.... green gym socks.. never seen haha... well not since ‘08.

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have recieved my kit list today and socks don't seemed to be listed, is this because it's just expected you'll turn up with a few pairs of good sock or are they issued in ROP? If I do need to bring socks with me, could anyone recommend some for me to buy?

https://www.underarmour.co.uk/en-gb/mens-ua-tech-23-cm-boxerjock-–-2-pack/1363622.html

They seem like they'd certainly do the job so I will probably order some, unless anyone knows of anything better? Also the kit list says I need 7 pairs of underwear, do all 7 pairs need to be like these? or would I be better off bringing some "normal" underwear aswell?

Cheers.
I can recommend socks as well but I will start with that they ain’t cheap.
Injinji is the brand.
I have a pair of these:

And these:

It’s good that you started this thread because I wanted to find out if there is any rule for what the civvy PT socks need to be? Do you need to be crew or can be ankle ones? Pure black or white? I am not saying I wear a flashy one but I would like to wear an Injinji one and the most reasonable colour they sell is a black-grey one. A pure black one in stock is hard to find.

I am giving this one a go as soon as I find a cheap one on sale:

Also I am probably going to risk some extra phys but really considering wearing this liner under an issued field one:
It’s merino wool, having two on prevents friction therefore the risks of blisters. Especially when all the toes are covered.
They look hilarious I know but until you try you don’t know how nice they are.

Regarding the underwear I ordered a pair of the “Step One” that @Pastafarian recommended. It might be a better alternative to the Under Armour Tech one. If you can wait a few days I will let you know how I find them during phys and all day wearing. They offer a full refund on your first pair if you don’t like them so not much of a gamble. Their website is super funny, worth a read.

One more thing I add is that wearing toe socks really make you be disciplined for cutting your toe nails and filing them. Otherwise it’s going to be an expensive...

Vine

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

Cheers.
Bridgedales all day long mate there superb bit pricey but they are worth the money.
Think it’s only issued you’ll be allowed in RT though someone who’s currently a nod should let you know. I’d just bring some basic plain civvy socks just bulk buy plain black and plain white ones because all I seem to do is lose one here or there with the bridgedales for ex/green phys.

pacessdo

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Injinji is the brand.
I have a pair of these:

And these:

It’s good that you started this thread because I wanted to find out if there is any rule for what the civvy PT socks need to be? Do you need to be crew or can be ankle ones? Pure black or white? I am not saying I wear a flashy one but I would like to wear an Injinji one and the most reasonable colour they sell is a black-grey one. A pure black one in stock is hard to find.

Also I am probably going to risk some extra phys but really considering wearing this liner under an issued field one:
It’s merino wool, having two on prevents friction therefore the risks of blisters. Especially when all the toes are covered.

Regarding the underwear I ordered a pair of the “Step One” that @Pastafarian recommended. It might be a better alternative to the Under Armour Tech one. If you can wait a few days I will let you know how I find them during phys and all day wearing. They offer a full refund on your first pair if you don’t like them so not much of a gamble. Their website is super funny, worth a read.

One more thing I add is that wearing toe socks really make you be disciplined for cutting your toe nails and filing them. Otherwise it’s going to be an expensive...
Lads you won't be aloud to wear your own socks in phase 1 , you might get lucky in phase 2. You don't mind extra phys you say? Well how about your troop? Because if you end up wearing civvy socks in a gym , guess whats *text deleted* happen? And don't try doing it more than once , if you get cought with it more than once then all hell will brake loose. As for gash pt - you can wear anything you want.

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
The issue socks are now black. But not like the horrendous drill socks. Basically the old warm weather white/cream socks but now in black.

Issue socks are fine for me. Always worn them in the field.

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Lads you won't be aloud to wear your own socks in phase 1 , you might get lucky in phase 2. You don't mind extra phys you say? Well how about your troop? Because if you end up wearing civvy socks in a gym , guess whats *text deleted* happen? And don't try doing it more than once , if you get cought with it more than once then all hell will brake loose. As for gash pt - you can wear anything you want.
Roger that

Lightspeed

Reaction score
Right, think I've got the gist... Just bring normal black socks and white socks with me, If im going to be in the field then I won't be able to wear my own socks and will be wearing issued socks so no need to buy any Bridgedales until I (hopefully) pass out.

@mace Yeah let me know how you get on with those Step One boxers mate, just had a quick glance at their website and noticed they have 3 different types, which ones have you grabbed a pair of?

Cheers.

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Right, think I've got the gist... Just bring normal black socks and white socks with me, If im going to be in the field then I won't be able to wear my own socks and will be wearing issued socks so no need to buy any Bridgedales until I (hopefully) pass out.

@mace Yeah let me know how you get on with those Step One boxers mate, just had a quick glance at their website and noticed they have 3 different types, which ones have you grabbed a pair of?

Cheers.
Boxer brief (longer)
I hope they are at least 20 cm long

stumpylegs

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Bit pricey but I will always stand by underarmour underwear, great for phys and the field, drys fast

Former AE

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I use the pussers black socks as issued with my Aku boots everyday and have no probs, the white warm weather ones I use with trainers, I do not wear socks with flip flops !

Nature's Wish

Reaction score
Injinji is the brand.
I have a pair of these:

And these:

How's the underwear?