Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

SOE

Discussion in 'Special Forces' started by Rover, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Rover

Rover Moderator

• Like Like x 4
  2. ERFC

ERFC Royal Marines Commando

Saw the thread and thought it was going to be about R squadron at 43 regarding the nuclear convoy’s. -yawn-

Couldn’t imagine anything worst then sitting on a motorway for 8 hours.

3. Rover

Rover Moderator

The clue was in the title, SOE!

Special Operations Executive.

Big leap from Secret Agent Selection in WWII to ‘R squadron at 43 regarding the nuclear convoy’s’.:confused::(

:)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rover

Rover Moderator

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  5. SixteenSixtyFour

SixteenSixtyFour Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I watched a couple of episodes today when I ought to have been studying for exams... Thoroughly enjoyable so far!

Although, Channel 4's 'Commando School' and Chris Terrill's 'Commando: On the Front Lines' are practically unbeatable for me :)

6. Fibonarchie

Fibonarchie Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Wouldn’t be shouting about Commando School on here! Very controversial opinion ;).
    COTFL is class though.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ERFC

ERFC Royal Marines Commando

We'll pretend we didn't hear that comment about Commando School ...:D

8. northmonkeySW

northmonkeySW Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    If you don't mind me asking, why the negative opinion of it? I haven't watched it myself but it's been on my 'to watch' list for a while!

9. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

To be honest I only saw one episode of Commando School but it was clearly apparent that the intention was to entertain rather than to inform. Presumably because the majority of UK TV viewers apparently want to watch weeping singers, cake bakers and dancers.

The series focused on the 'human, emotional story' of Recruits and their families. Anyone hoping to have an insight into the procedures and rigours of training was disappointed.

There was considerable grumbling that the Royal Marines command chain had agreed to feature CTCRM in a TV series which many considered depicted it in an unflattering light.
    But the majority of the UK public—those who didn't immediately switch channel to watch Cash in the Attic instead—assumed that it was a series about "...those Army boys" anyway, so reputational damage was probably limited.

• Like Like x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  10. SixteenSixtyFour

SixteenSixtyFour Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    When I first became interested in the Corps, I wanted to consume anything and everything to do with the RMs. It was in that period that I watched and I must say very much enjoyed Commando School. I wonder if Channel 4's perpetual sob-story mining operation would wear thin on second viewing, however...

11. Rover

Rover Moderator

The quiet, picturesque Hampshire village of Beaulieu is most famously associated with the National Motor Museum but during the Second World War the Beaulieu Estate became a top secret `finishing school` for British and overseas agents of the Special Operations Executive.

100_1495-jpg-1.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  12. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

HMP Sudbury is an open prison in Derbyshire and is located in the grounds of an old manor house. Prior to the prison, during the war, a hospital was built there for the USAF. This manor house there was also used to train SOE operatives during this period and has some great photos of the history of that time.

Alan

• Like Like x 3
  13. Rover

Rover Moderator

A number of tests were devised to assess the candidates for the SOE. Observation skills and deduction being two areas that an agent needed to show their ability.

Try this. A quick five minute test, keep your answers as the correct answers will be posted later today.
    Enjoy.

upload_2018-5-10_7-10-44.jpg

CAN YOU SOLVE THE PUZZLE BY ANSWERING THESE QUESTIONS?

1. How many tourists are staying at this camp?

2. When did they arrive: today or a few days ago?

3. How did they get here?

4. Is there a town nearby?

5. Where does the wind blow from: north or south?

6. What time of day is it?

7. Where did Alex go?

8. Who was on duty yesterday?

9. What date is it today?

• Like Like x 7
  14. Rover

Rover Moderator

Trust you all got it within the five minutes.:cool:

ANSWERS TO THE CAMP RIDDLE

1. There are four tourists

four spoons on the picnic blanket and four names on the duty list.

2. They arrived a few days ago

A spider's web has appeared between their tent and a tree in that time.

3. They got there by boat

Note the oars by the tree.

4. No, a village is not far

..because there's a chicken wandering around.

5. The wind is blowing from the south

A flag that shows the wind direction is on top of the tent. (To tell which direction is which, look at the branches - they're normally bigger on the southern side of trees - if you're in the Northern Hemisphere.)

6. It’s morning

Take the answer from question five to figure out east and west then work out the time based on the shadows.

7. Alex is catching butterflies

His net is behind the tent.

8. Colin was on duty yesterday

Colin is rummaging through his backpack (marked with a 'c'); Alex is catching butterflies; James is taking photos as his tripod can be seen sticking out of his bag. This leaves Peter - then, according to the list, that means Colin was on duty yesterday.

9. Today is August 8th...

According to the list, Peter is on duty, and there is a watermelon - which ripen in August - on the ground.

A flag on the tent, known as a windsock, shows that the wind is blowing from the south, but to figure this out you need to be aware that branches on the southern side of trees in the UK get more sun and grow more densely.

To figure out the time, you need to use the previous answer which tells you south from north to figure out where is east and west and deduce the time based on shadows.

The answer is that it's morning because the boy by the cook pot's shadow extends to the west.

Because we're asked where Alex went, we can assume he's not visible in the picture. However a butterfly net can be seen behind the tent. So the answer is that he's gone to catch butterflies.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Just need to brush up my morse and collect my trilby and trench coat

Alan

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  16. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I only caught the final episode on Tuesday but it was a good watch.
    What fascinates me about the men and women of SOE is how independent and resourceful they were in a deadly environment.

17. Fibonarchie

Fibonarchie Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Isn’t that in scouting for boys? I haven’t read it in a while but I’m sure I saw that there.

18. DeathBySexy

DeathBySexy New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    I got it all except the month. I also thought the water melon was a pumpkin!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Old Man

Old Man Ex-Matelot

What's he catching butterflies with?

20. Rover

Rover Moderator

"However a butterfly net can be seen behind the tent." ;)

• Like Like x 1