Soldier from The Royal Gurkha Rifles killed in Afghanistan

News

RSS Feed
Reaction score
It is with great sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that a British soldier from 2nd Battalion The Royal Gurkha Rifles was killed as a result of enemy fire yesterday afternoon, Tuesday 4 November 2008, in the Musa Qaleh area of Helmand province.

More...

Blanio

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It's far from enough lets just put it that way!

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Usually they'll only state something small as it's just happened. When they know more details they'll edit it in and it'll be a lot longer.

Ministry of Defence | home

MOD doesn't do short articles but it'll go into detail after tommorow maybe.

Shame about death of the soldier from the RAF

lukey boy 91

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
the gurkha rifles are known to be the best soldiers in the world aswell, i hate the press:sad2:

C

critchmufc

havnt the gurkahs been *text deleted* rubbish respect from everyone, this may be why

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
what makes them so special ?

Traditionally, the Gurkhas have always been nails. During The Gurkha War, British soldiers were so impressed by their fighting ability, they got them on side as soon as possible afterwards. Ghurkas have served with distinction in every conflict we've fought for the last 200 years. They're a famously loyal, cheerful, fierce and hardy race of people.

Training and selection is tough... At the selection phase held in Nepal, there are 30 applicants for every available position in the Brigade of Gurkhas. Only the best of the best even get to attend basic training in Britain.

Geryon

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Traditionally, the Gurkhas have always been nails. During The Gurkha War, British soldiers were so impressed by their fighting ability, they got them on side as soon as possible afterwards. Ghurkas have served with distinction in every conflict we've fought for the last 200 years. They're a famously loyal, cheerful, fierce and hardy race of people.

Training and selection is tough... At the selection phase held in Nepal, there are 30 applicants for every available position in the Brigade of Gurkhas. Only the best of the best even get to attend basic training in Britain.

yep, also look at this for more info
YouTube - The Gurkhas 1/6

and

YouTube - gurkhas 1

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
RIP - A very sad loss from the much respected Ghurkas.

His family will very much be in my thought this Sunday.

TM

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
RIP. I had the pleasure of spending the day on exercise with a few Gurkhas this summer. Even as a cadets they took such enthusiastic interest in us and who we were and obviously the feeling was reciprocated!

Thanks for the YouTube link Peter

JDMSAM

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The Gurkhas are Elite, An amazing addition in our Forces and definatley worth maximum Respect, But if you meet one DONT ASK TO SEE HIS KNIFE!!

jim87spencer

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i dunno if they still do it but some old boy i was fishing with told me one of their training exercises was to take a sip of water, hold it in their mouths for like a 10 mile run or something stupid and then spit it back out again on their return.

Chris_PRMC

Reaction score
Ninja,

How do you become an Officer in the Gurkhas?

well i dont know the exact procedure, but you need to be able to speak nepali to a certain degree of fluency, and graduate at sandhurst, as far is i know, thats it.

so, no more marines for you then? or just wondering

S

Sotiris

Haha don't worry I'm still buzzing for the Corps.

Although, serving with the Gurkhas looks awesome.

News

RSS Feed
Reaction score
Rifleman Yubraj Rai killed in Afghanistan

It is with great sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm the death of Rifleman Yubraj Rai of the 2nd Battalion The Royal Gurkha Rifles who was killed in Afghanistan on Tuesday 4 November 2008.

More...

PaddyTheManc

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It is with great sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm the death of Rifleman Yubraj Rai of the 2nd Battalion The Royal Gurkha Rifles who was killed in Afghanistan on Tuesday 4 November 2008.

More...

R.i.p. Watched the documentry yesterday and the Gurkhas are amazing.

S

Sotiris

I retract my initial statement with apologies.

Once again, R.I.P.

New Threads