Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Somalia's frightening network of Islamist spies

Discussion in 'Military News and Clips' started by News, May 27, 2019.

1. News

News RSS Feed

Al-Shabab remains largely undiminished thanks to its sophisticated intelligence network.

Continue reading...

2. Rover

Rover Moderator

From the article by the author Mary Harper.

" Somalia's militant Islamists remain relatively undiminished, despite a 12-year UN-backed campaign against them, largely thanks to its sophisticated web of spies, writes the BBC's Mary Harper.

Often, when I return to the UK from Somalia, I get a phone call from al-Shabab. It usually happens even before I talk to my family, while I am waiting for my luggage or in a taxi on the way home.

Once, after a trip to the south-western Somali town of Baidoa, I was given a detailed account of what I had done and where I had been.

"You walked to a bank but it was shut. You knocked on the doors and tried to open them. You took some photos," said the man from al-Shabab, an affiliate of al-Qaeda.

"Your bodyguards were not at all professional. They were wandering about, chatting amongst themselves with their guns slung around their shoulders, instead of keeping watch over you."

Well what does she expect? A white high profile female contacting a terrorist organisation with the aim of writing about them!

PERSEC Nil.
    But then again PERSEC does not sell.o_O

Look her up on Google, Al-Shabaab would have done.;)

• Like Like x 2