Some help with Officer info please...

Azza01

Reaction score
Hey guys well basicaly I am planning on joinging the Marines and with hopefully pass, and have a ok knowledge on the joining process and training etc. I just need a bit of info on the Officer side as I have enough UCAS points to try for an officer but need some info.

1. Im aware that as an officer you have to do recruit training then straight after do the officer training, how long is the officer training afterwards?

2. Also how much harder i the officer course fitness wise? I know your levels need to be better but how much, i know you have to get lower times on the commando tests.

3. During the application process you have to do a Potential Officers Course, how often do they run and do you have to PRMC as I would assume thats only for Commando, not Officer.

4. How long would it take to et promoted to Officer from Commando? Assuming you were good at your job and were on an average promotion speed.

5. What is the general life like in the RM difference bewteen Officers and Commandos, in terms of job wise and activity levels and general tasks?

I know theres a fair few questions but It would help me alot if anyone can help, thanks!

jimmy mal

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Im in the same boat as you azza, could do with some more info on Officer life. Althoug i would suggest if you have enough UCAS points to go for officer do it. To get commissioned from commando to officer you have to do RT again i believe.

Jim

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
1. If qualified for Officer, join as an Officer - that way you only do the Commando training once. Have a look at Officer Seniority & Officer Entry I rather think you may be getting your wires crossed. You can apply for Officer after joining as an Other Rank, but you have to do another 14 months of training- far better join straight away as an officer than do 32 weeks then do 14 months.

2. Have a look at the POC briefing notes in the Stickies section of the forum- all phys standards are outlined in the brief. It's about 10% higher fitness than Other Ranks (ish).

3. Again have a look at the POC sticky, you do a POC & AIB for Officer selection or PRMC for Other Rank.

4. You may apply to become an Officer at any stage of your Career after completing Commando training. It's up to you how long you take to apply for a Corps Commision. If you apply immediately after completing Commando Other Rank training, you could pass selection within 12 months of joining. Officer courses start in September each year.

5. Have a look on the official Royal Marines website: link below.

Good luck.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
In addition:

As well as 5 GCSE's A*-C (including Maths & English)

The minimum standard for UCAS points is to be increased from the minimum level of 140 UCAS points to eliminate candidates who clearly struggle at AIB, and to better align RN recruiting standards with the other services. The minimum requirement for educational qualifications is to be raised to 180 UCAS points, subject to certain constraints.

The revised minimum standard for non-graduate Officer entry to the Royal Marines will be 180 UCAS points for all candidates from Fri 29 February 2008, subject to the constraints that:

a. the total must include at least two non-overlapping subject areas;
b. each subject must be allocated at least 45 UCAS points;
c. If unsure of overlapping subject areas AIB should be contacted.

4. The minimum for each subject will be increased from 40 to 45 UCAS points so the following will no longer acceptable:

a. A-Level Grade E;
b. AS-level Grade C;
c. Scottish Higher Grade D;
d. Scottish Intermediate – any grade.

5. The full UCAS points tariff, showing equivalent qualifications, is available at UCAS.com

Azza01

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys! Ill have to check bout the overlapping thing but the points should be fine as I got a triple Distinction and went ot the ucas website and is equal to like 300 UCAS points or something like that so I should be clear but the overlapping thing im not to sure of...

14 Months training for officer? is that including Recruit Training? If not its 8 months extra training to be an officer i guess... If not is the 14 months to become a Officer alone?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys! Ill have to check bout the overlapping thing but the points should be fine as I got a triple Distinction and went ot the ucas website and is equal to like 300 UCAS points or something like that so I should be clear but the overlapping thing im not to sure of...

14 Months training for officer? is that including Recruit Training? If not its 8 months extra training to be an officer i guess... If not is the 14 months to become a Officer alone?

18.gif
300 UCAS points, eh?

To clarify:

If you join directly as an Officer it's about 14 months training, then you're a qualified Officer.

If you join as an Other Rank it's 32 weeks training, then you're a qualified Marine.

BUT, if you join as an Other Rank first, THEN go Officer you do both. Hence the advice to join as an Officer if qualified, rather than do both.

IF you join as a Marine THEN go Officer, but fail training, you become a civilian, you cannot revert to Marine.

Either way, good luck to you- remember to take a sense of humour.
eyebrow1qb.gif

Zefan

Reaction score
It's just the 14 months, that's all the training. :Edit: I actually started typing this response an hour ago but got distracted, Ninja summed it up properly as always :P!

Ninja, that increase in requirements has made applying for Officer an impossibility as I have 2 AS's at D grade and without them being accepted my points fall short. I am disappointed as I was hoping to have the chance to prove myself as an Officer, however I do understand the reasons for the raising of the bar. It's actually a blessing in disguise - I can now look forward to enter training far sooner than I would have as an Officer.

Azza01

Reaction score
Well thats what the UCAC's converter thing said, ill have to double check it maybe it was wrong :s . Ok i get ya, thanks for the info. Ill have to have a think which path to go down and when i find out more information. I dont want to be doing a lot of paperwork type stuff from the start off, but I doubt there will be to much to soon of that, more down the line etc would be my guess. I guess it would be a pain to have to do RT and then do officer later on as you would go back to training whereas it would probably be easier/better to do it after RT as your in mode of living and tip top shape as well...

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Well thats what the UCAC's converter thing said, ill have to double check it maybe it was wrong :s . Ok i get ya, thanks for the info. Ill have to have a think which path to go down and when i find out more information. I dont want to be doing a lot of paperwork type stuff from the start off, but I doubt there will be to much to soon of that, more down the line etc would be my guess. I guess it would be a pain to have to do RT and then do officer later on as you would go back to training whereas it would probably be easier/better to do it after RT as your in mode of living and tip top shape as well...

You quite possibly have the 300+ UCAS points, I was trying to be witty (and failed, sorry!)

If you have the points, emphatically go straight away for Officer, but be aware there's only one Officer entry per year in September. Other ranks are on average entering every 2 weeks.

The point is, if you do not have the UCAS points, but do have the 5 GCSE's (A*-C including maths & English) you can apply for a Corps Commission (promotion to Officer as an Other Rank) but it is high risk & probably, as most would say, more difficult.

Hope that helps.

Azza01

Reaction score
Yeh the fact if you fail you get binned and cant go back to your former position makes it very dodgy, is there any reason for this or just a set rule since back in the day?

Zefan

Reaction score
It costs a lot to train them and seeing as they didn't go for it the first time they applied they will stand out as a high risk investment.

Basically it's in their interests that only the men who are absolutely sure they have it in them do it - therefore they provide very high stakes to sift out the men from the boys (for want of a better phrase).

Zefan

Reaction score
Just bringing this point back up Ninja, could you clarify that point about being kicked out of the forces if you fail to pass the Officer training? The careers adviser I talked to didn't know for sure but he said that he'd be extremely shocked if that was the case, as they've already spent thousands on the recruits so it'd be a huge waste.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Just bringing this point back up Ninja, could you clarify that point about being kicked out of the forces if you fail to pass the Officer training? The careers adviser I talked to didn't know for sure but he said that he'd be extremely shocked if that was the case, as they've already spent thousands on the recruits so it'd be a huge waste.

Rather than get tangled-up in ethics & trivia, if you're qualified for Officer, join as an Officer. If you are joining as an Other Rank because you missed an entry date by omission for Officer, then you are better advised to wait. Otherwise:

If you join as an Other Rank, complete Commando training then decide to become an Officer and are educationally qualified or qualify as such & then commence Officer training but fail, you would have to leave the Corps.

In reality, if you have what it takes to pass Commando training as an Other Rank and get recommended for Officer selection and pass POC and pass AIB and get selected, it's rather unlikely you would fail training. But if you do, you're gone. Possibly you may wish to re-apply to join as a trained Other Rank, but that's the chance you take.

Possibly the person you spoke to was not fully aware of this because it's got little to do with "coal front" recruiting. From an AFCO perspective you either join as an Officer or you don't. Do bear in mind that the only people qualified as careers advisers are Sergeant/Petty Officer up to Warrant Officer 1- anyone below that & (usually) above that is not qualified as a Careers Adviser. The reason for knowing is that I've had the privilege in the last 12 months to work with a Graduate Entry RM Officer, a Corps Commission RM Officer & a RM Corporal qualified for Officer (Graduate) but who joined as an Other Rank. If you have the qualifications to join as an Officer we advise you accordingly or advise if you are qualified for a Corps Commission, likewise.

If you want to become an Officer several years after joining, that's not usually something a Careers Office would be involved in. It will be double checked again tomorrow & duly amended or apologised about if the goalposts have moved, but don't think they have.

Hope that helps clarify & good luck whichever route you take.

Azza01

Reaction score
Would that be the same for going for Special Forces Selection (SBS/SAS)?, I was just wondering because its the same principal you go from your unit to their to tryout with the possibility of being dropped, so do you get to go back if you fail. Again its the same principal of that htye have spent a lot of money training you and seems to be a huge waste if they drop you completly...

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Would that be the same for going for Special Forces Selection (SBS/SAS)?, I was just wondering because its the same principal you go from your unit to their to tryout with the possibility of being dropped, so do you get to go back if you fail. Again its the same principal of that htye have spent a lot of money training you and seems to be a huge waste if they drop you completly...

UKSF selection is completely different.

If you apply for UKSF & are accepted, you will possibly drop a rank initially upon joining. It's a grey one this as many people say that is the old fashioned method and yet there's no official publications that indicate a change in policy otherwise that are available in the public domain.
Good luck.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
What National Diploma did you do ? The Uniformed Services one? Because I was told that the national diploma for that is not really recognized in the RM as its more for Police Officers, Fire Brigade etc.

Might be bull*text deleted**text deleted* though :).

You are correct inashmuch as the 180 UCAS points must be made-up from two separate, non-overlapping subjects with none of the contributing qualifications being less than 45 UCAS points per subject.

If it's Public or Uniform Service Course points from a National Diploma, you need a Distinction rather than a pass or merit for the UCAS points to count toward the total. You also need a non-overlapping subject.

Similarly if you take a subject to A2 level, you cannot count the points in that subject at the AS level & add them as it's an overlapping subject.

Unfortunately students on these courses tend to be unclear of the academic equivalents of their qualifications & are often left disappointed when they learn they are not adequately qualified for Officer.

The advice is speak to your ACLO, not your college for definitive guidance BEFORE you undertake the course.

Adz

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Ninja_Stoker I have read that they have increased the UCAS points in on eof your stickies (and here), but I have a question. If you have a degree are those requirements then irrevelent?

I ask because I fluffed up my A levels(I was predicted a BBC but I ended up getting a CCE, which as I understand it is not enough now), but thankfully I had a unconditional offer already from Aberdeen Uni to study English and Philosophy.

So my question is.......am I ok still to go for officer entry or is this out of the question now? If I am ok, does the degree grade matter at all? I am looking at least a 2:2 and hopefully will gradute with a 2:1.

Thanks for your time and great website(1st post but a bit of a lurker!).