Some hints and tips

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
While I am not even in the Officer application process myself, I though I would post up some useful hints and tips that may be useful during the application process, particularly the POC and AIB.

A lot of the stuff will be generic information for Officers in general (Armed Force) that can still be useful.

POC and AIB

Here is an excellent POC diary of someone who passed, some very useful tips in there. Here is also an equally good AIB diary of the same person, who actually failed the AIB, but good all the same.

Here is a large AIB thread over at Rum Ration that has some useful information in it, a lot of Navy Officers in there though.

Speed, Distance, Time

This is something that will come up and you may be grilled on, so it is useful to keep practising and practising it until you can fire out answers in your head, and quickly calculate the SDT. Here is an online Speed, Distance Time test that was actually created for RAF Officers, but it is useful all the same (it changes on refresh). I suggest though that over time you increase its complexity and keep testing yourself so you get better at it.

Here is great page with all the rules and tips of SDT you need to know, I recommend you read it all.

Generic Advice

While it is unrelated to the Royal Marine, you may want to check out the AOSB (Army Officer Selection Board) thread on Arrse, which has some useful general info on.

Some advice I was given by an Army Officer was 'Defend your plan (planning task) with a terminal intensity', basically anything you do they will criticise, you have to come back with quick answers and show you work well under pressure. Also to prepare and practise presentations before hand, or practise a few situations you might use.

Some useful info on command tasks.

If you look here you can see an evaluation and report of someone's performance at the (of old) RCB. Very useful in seeing how they evaluate candidates, while the standards will be different.

That's all I can think of, hope that helps.

S

Sotiris

Brilliant mate, thanks a lot. Really good read all of that.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Can I get this moved to the main POC section? I meant to put it in there.

Thanks.