Some novice fitness questions

JimB

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
My first non introduction post. :rock:

I'll try and keep it as short as possible because i've got a few questions that have just completely left my mind as i come to type this post... Bugger...

My fitness is below-average/average. Cardio, im ok. Strength is below average i'd reckon. 18 push-ups max. I'v set my self a goal of either applying this time next year, or applying 3-4 months before this time if i'm doing well (i've taken into account applying admin times etc).

Question 1: Do you think this is a reasonable goal? I'm going to train 5 times a week, and i work part time so training has the higher priority. My diet is good naturally but not perfect (but i dont think it will hinder progress at all). This is not a random life path i have chosen. Considering the armed forces for about 2 years now, but now i'm done with college i'm seriously commiting. I WANT to be a Royal Marine.

Question 2: Completely unrelated to previous question. Would it be more beneficial for me to do cardio in the morning and a strength building circuit in the evening/afternoon? I find it easier to do strength circuit, rest for 5, then do a 30 minute run. Will this matter or should i ideally try to space them as recomended in the RM leaflets and book/lettes.

Question 3: I am fortunate enough that my mum has a running machine at the house. I use that, mainly (F running around my area at night). Should i try to get more outdoor runnin done, or does it not make a difference?

Question 4: I'm going to get a pull up bar for my doorframe. As i dont have one yet, can you suggest any alternatives to help me build up to pullups?

Thanks in advance for any replies i get.

James

JimB

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
And i just noticed there's a fitness section of the forums.

If an admin can relocated this topic before i look like an idiot to everyone, that'd be smashing, cheers.

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Firstly, don't worry about your fitness pants at the moment - i started off with half of your 18 max press-ups!

1. A year is plenty of time to get up to scratch if you stick to any training plans. I think Ninja_Stoker (the RN recruiting officer on here,) said that the Royal Marines reckon that somebody with an average level of fitness should be able to reach PRMC standards within 6 months, if they train properly and are comitted.

2. There are lots of different concepts for when in the day you should do your strength and cardio sessions, e.g. some recommend doing strength in the morning when your testosterone levels are higher, then run//swim/bike in the afternoon. It's not set in stone and doing it differenty isn't going to kill you.
Choose a routine that suites you and you can fit around your lifestyle/work without being major ballache.

3. A lot of people will tell you to stay well clear of running machines for the most part, (unless specifically training for your PJFT, which is run on a treadmill.)
Running outdoors is better for your leg muscles & stability, should be more interesting, and is what you are going to have to do in RM training, so mareswell get used to it. Try to run on grass and off road as much as you can.
If its sketchy running in your area in the dark at night, then simply change your run times so you run in the daylight. Or run 1st thing in the morning before college or whatever, when no *text deleted* are hanging around.

4. Goal posts, play areas in parks, certain bus shelters, stable scaffolding etc etc. Use imagination.

Plenty of good posts on all the above in the "Training........" section, if you have a search or look through old posts.

Oh, and welcome to the forum

Death-Oar-Glory

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
And i just noticed there's a fitness section of the forums.

If an admin can relocated this topic before i look like an idiot to everyone, that'd be smashing, cheers.

Hey, welcome aboard, and TOO LATE!

:P

What this geezer ^^^^^ said rings true.

Did you say you're not at college anymore? And you say your diet is fine, however if you say your strength is lower than average, consider buying, or getting your mum to buy depending on your living situation *text deleted*, high protein foods.

Mixed nuts are brilliant for a post training snack, high in protein (about 25% of their mss is protein) and low in fat. Another good source is obviously chicken, but the best natural source I've found is tuna. It's about 27% protein, with almost nil fat. Training five days a week also means your overall intake is going to need to be upped, and on the two days you don't train, you should eat the same as you would on a training day, because your body will store it. Go for lean muscle rather than bulk. You'll find loads of pressup routines and situp tips and pullup tips on the site, so just choose one and have a crack. you've got enough time to try a couple!

Also, how uch training are you doing at the moment, as going straight from a kickaout in the park twice a week, to two sessions five times a week is a major jump, and your body needs time to build up to it.

JimB

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Also, how uch training are you doing at the moment, as going straight from a kickaout in the park twice a week, to two sessions five times a week is a major jump, and your body needs time to build up to it.

I'm not pushing myself more than i can handle. I've been sensible. 30 minute cardio i can handle, and the body building has been calculated by the circuit calculator on the RM official website. 2nd week in and it's been good. Do you reckon i should do a push up/sit up routine on top of my circuit training to help improve them faster?

And my diet has always been high in everything i need. I just eat sugary or fatty foods on top of that. Not too much though. My mother feeds me well. I find i naturally want to eat alot more too, when training, so it should be fine.

Thanks for all the advice so far. Much appreciated.