Some of the problems I have ran into training for the PJFT (please help)

Joshusky

Reaction score
I'm sure many people have made other threads about this but I would just like one single thread that I can go back to for advice on my problems.

Okay so for the past few months now I have been practicing for the PJFT and in preparation and I don't think I have gotten amazingly far and it is really putting a dint in my confidence, but I think it is due to a few factors.

1. Today I went for a run and I made it to around 2.6km without stopping when I got a really painful stitch in my right rib (I try to run for as long as I can instead of taking the 1 min break at 2.4km) I was wondering how to prevent these as I don't want to get a spontaneous stitch during my pjft.

2. I have Strava and I have made a custom track for me to run, after running quite a bit a realise the bottom of my feet feel like they are burning. Is this normal after doing lots of running or do I need new shoes/new foot protection? And if it is normal how do I treat this as I have been feeling it for some months now with no sign of my feet getting used to it.

3. Around the 3.5km mark I start to feel totally totally totally gassed out, in the morning I usually make a full english breakfast, after half an hour I eat chicken pasta and then a bowl of oatmeal, about 15 minutes before I go out I then eat a banana and then have a biscuit and a pre work out drink for last minute energy. I try to stay primarily high carb as I was told that would provide me with my energy source. Am I eating the wrong foods? Am I eating them at the wrong time? What are the best foods to eat before going on a long run and how long should you eat before you run?

4. This may just be me being fussy but after a high intensity run going up and down hill, I sometimes get the usual delayed onset muscle soreness, I eat plenty of protein and get plenty of rest but this pain usually lasts for around 3 days and within that 3 days I feel like I am just getting weaker and starting from the start again.

Thank you for any help and advice it is much appreciated

LRL

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
What’s your training comprise of?

Burning could simply be friction between your socks and shoes, try thin running socks.

A full English, then 30mins later chicken pasta and a bowl of oatmeal then 15 mins before the run a pre workout and biscuit all in the morning before a run is quite a lot and could be the reason to your stitch?

Soreness is bound to happen mate, means it’s working just rest up or take an easy run or swim.

Joshusky

Reaction score
My training is usually monday 4.8km run with as minimal stops as possible on road, tuesday I usually go to the gym and do 4.8km run on the treadmill instead of road. Wednesday I let my legs heal a bit but do resistance and strength training which would consist mostly of upper body strength training such as pull ups, push ups, sit ups, crunches and so on. Thursday I do 5000m rowing in the gym, I usually do this if my legs are still aching but do it to build up endurance. Friday I do another 4.8km on road then a few hours later I will go to the gym and do some weight training and then I take saturday and sunday off...Now that I have wrote it out I feel like I overtrain but at the same time I feel like you can't over train for the RM :confused:.

I do use thin running socks, may have to invest in some high quality ones :')

I also think it is OTT but then I feel like if I don't eat so much I won't have the energy, I think I need to find the right balance in everything because I haven't really been so conscious about my food and exercise until my decision to apply for the RM so I'm kind of a noob at what I am supposed to be eating and not eating.

Thank you for your help, thought I was going to get some condescending replies from gym freaks that know what they are doing:D

joeyjonser

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Sometimes i think people tend to overthink the pjft. Its 3 miles on a treadmill and personally i think the best way to get better at them is practice 3 or 4 times a week. Jump on and do your 1.5 mile run out , stop the treadmill for the 1 minute, take some deep breaths, put on a song you like and crack on with second. If you cant run the full 1.5 mile at the required speed run as far as you can , slow down and take a 60 second walk then wack the speed back up and go again. Repeat until you hit 3 miles. I find it helps to not look at the treadmill, eventually you will look down and see you have covered 0.8, then 1 mile and before you know it 1.5 miles in one go. Im making it sound simple because it is. Just try not to overthink it lad! And good luck

PUNISHER

Reaction score
I was told by my careers adviser not to worry too much about the PJFT and to continue doing what I was doing (hill sprints and 3+ mile runs early in the morning). If you have a good level of endurance and can run a good few miles outside on real terrain, running on a flat treadmill will feel like a breeze. Like the others said, just don't overthink it.

Zandvoort10

Reaction score
Im no expert, but it sounds like you're eating way too much before you train. I rarely eat for at least 2 hours before I run for the reason that I feel like i'm going to sick it all up if I do. I also don't drink water for about an hour before.

Everyone is different, but I've never heard of anyone eating that much before they run, and i've been running for 6 months now.

Zandvoort10

Reaction score
To add to that, if I run in the morning (I usually do a 5km Park Run at 9am every saturday) I will get up at 7 and have a small glass of water and a cereal bar straight away, thats it.

Have your monster breakfast afterwards. That would be my advice but again, im no expert (although I have passed my PJFT;))!

Joshusky

Reaction score
I'm no expert, but it sounds like you're eating way too much before you train. I rarely eat for at least 2 hours before I run for the reason that I feel like i'm going to sick it all up if I do. I also don't drink water for about an hour before.

Everyone is different, but I've never heard of anyone eating that much before they run, and i've been running for 6 months now.

I always thought I may have been over eating, but then I panic that I'm going to mess up part way through my run because of lack of energy, but I'll try not being so greedy :') It's because I have never been conscious of my fitness before so I never really knew what gave me energy and what didn't, all I heard was that carbohydrates give you energy so I just stacked up on them. I don't know how you go on runs without drinking water though that is crazy

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
If you are training for the PJFT then why are you training outside? The PJFT is carried out in the gym on a treadmill, which is a totally different running experience to running on a road.

You need to train specific. Get yourself in the gym and train on the treadmill until you can pass the test comfortably. Once passed then ditch the gym and get yourself outside and start training specifically for the PRMC.

As for your food intake, you're eating too much. You are only doing a 3 mile run, not a marathon and even then I never ate that much prior to cracking a full marathon.

Alan

Joshusky

Reaction score
If you are training for the PJFT then why are you training outside? The PJFT is carried out in the gym on a treadmill, which is a totally different running experience to running on a road.

You need to train specific. Get yourself in the gym and train on the treadmill until you can pass the test comfortably. Once passed then ditch the gym and get yourself outside and start training specifically for the PRMC.

As for your food intake, you're eating too much. You are only doing a 3 mile run, not a marathon and even then I never ate that much prior to cracking a full marathon.

Alan

I train both outside and on treadmill, I use outside for more rigorous and challenging terrain to improve my endurance :)

As for the food part, I will not eat as much. I see that I am just fueling myself to the point where my body doesn't know what to do with it all, thanks for the advice :)

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
I train both outside and on treadmill, I use outside for more rigorous and challenging terrain to improve my endurance :)

Rigorous and challenging terrain should be part of your PRMC training, not PJFT. Have a look at @arny01's programme for PRMC. That will provide you with all the challenges you can think of. Just pass your PJFT first.

Remember, train specific!

Good luck

Alan

lp1234

Reaction score
What are your times?

Matt
I still train with the incline, 9.30 on the 2% incline. On flat 9.06 and outside my PB is 8.45. I average around 9.05 outside though, and yeah the 12.30min run i do before it too