Some weight lifting Questions?

Gaz the "Taff"

Reaction score
Hi fellas, cheers for trying to help me here:

Im a big fella (not fat *text deleted*, 5ft 11 and a bit, 12 half stone) and the only niggle i have is that im trying to Build up my Triceps and dont know how to? i know lots of push ups help but my AFCO said to do Tricep training to help make the press ups easier.

Does building your leg and Abs muscles help more with Running?

Are there any other exercises i can do (appart from Lat-pull downs and pullup assist) to help with Pull Ups?

Because i was 20 stone and i have lost lots of weight, i have (yuk i know) little bits of Flab arround my waist i really cant get rid of. I watch what i eat. I train my Bollocks off every day and im still fighting off the bastard *text deleted* a mate told me that when people lose lots of weight that the skin stretches and pouches arround the waist and you unfortunately cannot get rid of it appart from Surgery....is this true?

Sorry for the questionaire lads *text deleted* cheers guys :)

blocky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
no its not true they will get smaller over time. was u a big *text deleted*er???

and no building muscle on the legs and abs wont improve *text deleted* running, building muscle in the legs will slow you. BUT if u want to train *text deleted* legs to improve *text deleted* running and stamina use light weights with minimum of 20 reps when u get to rep 15-16 u should be struggling that how you work your weight out. having strong ABS wont improve running but it will prevent stitch as it holds the kidneys and liver in place and stops the jingiling around which is how stich is caused

good luck with training

p.s ENGLAND IS THE BEST !

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Try dips mate. Either on parralel bars at the gym,or hands behind on a bench. I also like doing dips with hands behind using a bench by putting your legs up on another bench,and putting your hands so close together they touch behind you.This and then if you can,get a mate to pop a 10/20KG plate on your lap.

Skull crushers are also worth considering,or possibly cable pull downs. To be fair though,id say try and crack some dips out,their doing to aid you best and doing them on bars with also some weight on a belt if you can crack more than 12-15 out will put some work on the chest and shoulders as well which will eventually translate into pressups.

If your press ups are lagging mate try and do a variety of types,close,wide,clap.Also powerovers are good. Get say a football or medicine ball at the gym,or an object of similar size. Start in pressups position with 1 hand raised on the object, and push your self down and then back up and over to the other side. So effectily your doing pressups from side to side. That gets the chest and triceps fatigued very quickly mate

Gaz the "Taff"

Reaction score
Cheers fellas, going to try some of the Cables stuff and the Dips. Im ok with the running side of things, i thaught the muscle would help with endurance ect....i was wrong *text deleted*

Oh...RUGBY......WE WONE! YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!

hehehe Blocky, WALES THE BEST! SHEEP PRIDE MUN !!

blocky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
damn sheep shagers..... :D haha

yeah it does help but u have to do light weight lots of reps e.g 12 kg weight 20 reps each arm that will work with arms. same with legs

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Not always true mate. Try and incorperate a low rep,high weight session into your routine each week.This will focus more on strength. At the end of the day endurance is just strength and will power combined,its not hard to work through and excersise when the lactic acid builds up,but it does help to train like that. But doing 30 reps of bench press wont nesseceraly do any more than sticking to 12-15 reps.

RC

Reaction score
Hi fellas, cheers for trying to help me here:

Im a big fella (not fat *text deleted*, 5ft 11 and a bit, 12 half stone) and the only niggle i have is that im trying to Build up my Triceps and dont know how to? i know lots of push ups help but my AFCO said to do Tricep training to help make the press ups easier.

Does building your leg and Abs muscles help more with Running?

Are there any other exercises i can do (appart from Lat-pull downs and pullup assist) to help with Pull Ups?

Because i was 20 stone and i have lost lots of weight, i have (yuk i know) little bits of Flab arround my waist i really cant get rid of. I watch what i eat. I train my Bollocks off every day and im still fighting off the bastard *text deleted* a mate told me that when people lose lots of weight that the skin stretches and pouches arround the waist and you unfortunately cannot get rid of it appart from Surgery....is this true?

Sorry for the questionaire lads *text deleted* cheers guys :)
Firstly, well done for losing so much weight.

Yeah, developing your core ( not just abdominals ) will help with running to a certain extent. It helps because having a stable core allows more efficient transfer of power to the ground.

So does strengthening your legs. By strengthening your legs you can increase the amount of force you exert each time your foot hits the ground, which will increase stride length. Imagine if you can increase each stride length by a cm, over a reasonable distance this can make a substantial difference.

However, I would concentrate on trying to improve by simply running ( cycling / swimming ) at this stage.

I think what your mate has told you regards the flaps of skin is true ???

Rich.