Sorry Newbie

Reaction score
Good Morning,

I am currently a second year chemistry student, I am due to graduate
in June 2010, and am intending to apply to the RM officer intake at septemeber 2010, I know thats a good two years away, but Ive heard
the application process is up to a year long.

So when should I go to the AFCO and start talking to people?

And also is joining the the RNR/RMR a good/viable idea?

And are you given seniority for time spent at uni?, ie more pay

Thank You

BTBY

Booker

Reaction score
Good Morning,

I am currently a second year chemistry student, I am due to graduate
in June 2010, and am intending to apply to the RM officer intake at septemeber 2010, I know thats a good two years away, but Ive heard
the application process is up to a year long.

So when should I go to the AFCO and start talking to people?

And also is joining the the RNR/RMR a good/viable idea?

And are you given seniority for time spent at uni?, ie more pay

Thank You

BTBY

Seeing as you are a second year I don't think it would be benificial for you to join the RMR giving as it can take at least a year to gain the green beret that way, and I'm fairly sure that they have already started RT, meaning you won't be able to join anyways.

And the Officer process may take up to a year, I got told it can take however long you want it, you may fly through the interview, medical and phychometric test, but booking the POC and AIB may take some time. I would say go contact them soon, and get the ball rolling.

And you do get seniority I think, you go straight in as a Captain with a degree. Not 100% sure though.

Ideally speak to Ninja, RMRO or indeed your AFCO as they will able to tell you more.

Booker

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Welcome to the site.

You are recommended to submit an application no later than 31 December 2009 you wish to meet a Sept 2010 entry as RM Officer, however if you start now and fail any element of selection you will have plenty of time to re-take - so now is good.

You can apply for the RMR however, the aim of the RMR is to augment the trained strength of the regular RM, not provide a "taster" so you need to look at whether you can commit fully & gain a credible degree simultaneously- many find it difficult to maintain the balance. The OTC or URNU are viable alternatives, albeit it a bit late.

Graduates START on £28,216 with 2.5 years seniority.

Good luck.

mike webb

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
hi mate!

welcome to the prmc family! *text deleted*!

my mate is in the same situation as you. hes in his second year, but is considering jouining after uni. officer intake is every september. so your obviously be heading for september 2010. i applied in march this year, yet i have to wait until sept 2009, as i was too late for this year. so applying in early 2009 would be a good idea if you want to get into it straight after uni.

a question for ninja tho. i dont have a degree, i opted not to go to uni. whilst in training would non graduates and graduates get the same 14 grand a year, but once left CTC non grads get 24ish and grad get 28. this is how i understand it in any case!?

mike

Reaction score
Evening all

I know for the Navy if you pass the AIB your put on a list in order of marks and they take
who they need from the top down, is it the same for the Marines?

Do they select on POC or AIB or both?

Also if you pass the POC and fail AIB do you have to do both again? If you pass POC is the right to sit AIB automatic?

Thanks
BTBY

TM

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a 2nd year undergrad hoping to get a place in the 2010 batch as well. I started my application at the beginning of summer, which the London AFCO said was a good move. So, like Ninja suggested, it'll be to your advantage if you get things going now.

mike webb

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Evening all

I know for the Navy if you pass the AIB your put on a list in order of marks and they take
who they need from the top down, is it the same for the Marines?

Do they select on POC or AIB or both?

Also if you pass the POC and fail AIB do you have to do both again? If you pass POC is the right to sit AIB automatic?

Thanks
BTBY

hello mate!

i spoke to my liason officer the other day about this exact thing and this is what he said.

ok, well if you pass poc you automatically qualify for AIB. if you fail one you can retake it, or you can opt to apply as a recruit. normally you can redo each stage twice.

they select on both scores added together, however it isnt as simple as taking the top 50 scores. theres also the general feel for an individual... the much alluded to "X-factor" about a person. the thoughts and comments from the training staff will be considered also to help. so even if your person number 48 your not necesserily going to be selected as there might be someone below you who just has something more, something which they believe is more suitable!

hope this helps buddy!

mike

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
i dont have a degree, i opted not to go to uni. whilst in training would non graduates and graduates get the same 14 grand a year, but once left CTC non grads get 24ish and grad get 28. this is how i understand it in any case!?

mike

No, Graduates START on £28,216, non-grads £14K. Your average 18 year old with just A levels would make up the shortfall during the 3 years he would otherwise been at Uni & be on a comparable wage to graduates when they join. Older Non-Grads pay increases after about 6 months, but lags behind Grad entry pay slightly & i seniority- it's no longer dictated by age, just qualifications & time served.

With regard POC & AIB, the Marines add weighting to the quality of the individual on POC toward the standard of AIB pass. There are generally more people that pass both POC & AIB than there are places available, so all need to be aware from the outset that passing both does not guarantee entry as an Officer. If you want to be a leader of the best, you have to be pretty good yourself.

S

Sotiris

Ninja,

I've heard they tell you more or less asap whether you passed AIB or not. How long after does it take to find out if you made the batch or not?

Reaction score
They tell you straight away whether you have passed or not. You will be loaded to the batch in about Mid-July and receive a letter to confirm it.