South Africa citizens in royal marines

Jolly Roger

Reaction score
Hi, I'm also a South African. I'm in South Africa right now and would like to try out some time in the next year and a half.

Recently they have changed the visa system, and South Africans can't get the 2 year working holiday any more, but we can get in for a six month visit. I was wondering if there is any way to speed things up to ensure that one gets into recruit training within those six months?

I'm hoping that if I have all my papers (medical, education, identity, etc) carefully prepared that I can get a prmc date as quickly as possible after arriving in the UK.

Also, I've been told that once you start recruit training you get a stamp in your passport that means you don't require a work visa as long as you are serving in the military. Is this true?

mr.sniper

Reaction score
You can get the ball rolling with your application for the marines while your still in SA, which would make things a bit faster. And if you think the 6 month visa wont be long enough you could aplly for the 1 year visitor visa but they cost about R3000 i think. Make sure to check the restrictions on that one tho.

Yeah its true about the stamp, it last until you one day leave the military...
Check ths thread out to: http://www.prmc.co.uk/stickys-section/2728-joining-considerations-tips-south-african-nationals.html

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
On average there are two Commonwealth Recruits in each Recruit Troop.

Most often Australian, Newzealanders, Canadians & South Africans, in that order.

Ertjie

Reaction score
Hey buddies!where in sa you guys from? Im also in the process of joining. Firstly, joining a official military does not constitute to mercenary actions, so the new law doesnt apply here. You will however have to write to the military HQ in Pretoria to get a letter exempting you from military service in SA. Then a copy of your birth certificate, passport etc. Also a letter of reference from a lecturer/employer as well as a high status member of the community that has known you for more that 5 years. They may not be family. Altough not necessary it would be advantagous to include a medical and criminal clearance record. Also proof of all qualifications you may have. The only thing im not sure off is the residency requirement. Apparently you have to have resided in the UK for the past 3 years prior to joining unless you know someone in the british armed forces that can vouch for you, but apparently they can exempt you from this as well. Not sure bout that one though! Let me know if you guys find out anything or know of someone plz plz plz! Also, if any is around Cape Town, let me know and we can train togeher!

Badcompany

Reaction score
Sorry to revive an old thread but i have a few questions relating to this topic..

A few years ago i went to a reruiting demonstration by the royal marines in CPT and while there I signed a waiver and they said they would contact me on my 18th birthday which is in 5months or so.

At the time my father and an ex RM major friend of his did all the reading and paper work for me but both of them have seemed to have forgotten the finer details.

I'd appreciate it if any one could give me info regarding this "waiver" i have full British citizenship and it was regarding how much time i would have to spend as a resident in the UK before i could join the Marines. The idea of waiting 5 years or whatever it is does not solidly appeal to me.

If anyone could enlightning me on the finer details i would much appreciate it.

Regards

Sam1

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
There were about 4 South Africans on my PRMC. I must say, They all had really bad wind :|

Pincha

Reaction score
Sorry to revive an old thread but i have a few questions relating to this topic..

A few years ago i went to a reruiting demonstration by the royal marines in CPT and while there I signed a waiver and they said they would contact me on my 18th birthday which is in 5months or so.

At the time my father and an ex RM major friend of his did all the reading and paper work for me but both of them have seemed to have forgotten the finer details.

I'd appreciate it if any one could give me info regarding this "waiver" i have full British citizenship and it was regarding how much time i would have to spend as a resident in the UK before i could join the Marines. The idea of waiting 5 years or whatever it is does not solidly appeal to me.

If anyone could enlightning me on the finer details i would much appreciate it.

Regards

i'm South African and curently living in joburg, i'm also trying to join the RM's, i'm almost done with all the finer details i'm just really really strugling with my visa, i'm looking for a cheap and quick way if someone can help?
Enyway, there are 2 ways in joining the RM's from S.A. if i'm not mistaken, either live there for 5 years (way to long for me), or know someone in the RM's so they can be your revrence, just for a background check to see that your not going to blow something up or doing something stupid. Then you talk to a guy called Andy Brown, I think hes the guy that says yes or no to the outsiders joining. Do you know someone in the RM's Badcompany?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
If you do not have 5 years UK residency prior to joining, a serving member of the UK Armed Forces maybe nominated as a "sponsor" to vouch for the fact they have known you for a given period of time & also that they know no reason why you may not join the UK Armed Forces. It may be possible to apply for a residency waiver- depending which Commonwealth country you currently live in.

You should contact London AFCO overseas desk: nr-london-ca3g@rncareers.mod.uk , as previously suggested to gain definitive advice with regard the current status with regard South African citizens & residency waiver applicability.

You've probably already seen it but there's some excellent information for South Africans here, especially regarding the implications of the SA Mercenary Act.

Best of luck to you.

Jolly Roger

Reaction score
Hey buddies!where in sa you guys from? Im also in the process of joining. Firstly, joining a official military does not constitute to mercenary actions, so the new law doesnt apply here. You will however have to write to the military HQ in Pretoria to get a letter exempting you from military service in SA. Then a copy of your birth certificate, passport etc. Also a letter of reference from a lecturer/employer as well as a high status member of the community that has known you for more that 5 years. They may not be family. Altough not necessary it would be advantagous to include a medical and criminal clearance record. Also proof of all qualifications you may have. The only thing im not sure off is the residency requirement. Apparently you have to have resided in the UK for the past 3 years prior to joining unless you know someone in the british armed forces that can vouch for you, but apparently they can exempt you from this as well. Not sure bout that one though! Let me know if you guys find out anything or know of someone plz plz plz! Also, if any is around Cape Town, let me know and we can train togeher!

Hey, I'm from Somerset West, just outside Cape Town. Do you think you need the testamony of somone here if you have guys in the UK military vouching for you? I spoke to a recruitment officer on the telephone a couple of months ago and he did not mention it.

I'm hoping to leave near the end of February, so trying to get all my papers and stuff in order.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Do you think you need the testamony of somone here if you have guys in the UK military vouching for you? I spoke to a recruitment officer on the telephone a couple of months ago and he did not mention it.

I'm hoping to leave near the end of February, so trying to get all my papers and stuff in order.

As long as you have got definitive advice on the residency & nationality requirements from the overseas desk in AFCO London before your journey, then all should be fine. If however you just rang a random AFCO to ask - just hope it wasn't the cleaner who answered the phone.

riotctrl

Reaction score
my joining

hi guys

Im a South African and i am 21.

i flew over to the UK in aug 2007 on an ancestral visa.
i have been living and working in the UK since. (1 year 7 months)
i have recently applied to join the royal marines after reading the royal marines website and understanding it as i may join being a commonwealth citizen and meeting the criteria. in this thread there are some South africans who wish to enter on a short visa and enter the army. and as for the stamp rule that states while you serve you can stay in the UK. etc. and same for the ancestral visa. but i went on to a chat on the Royal marines site and chatted briefly with a SSgt Andy. he quickly shot me down and said that i ancestral visa must be valid until at least september 2013 (its only valid till july 2012) for me to be able to join. three days ago i have sent off my aplication and should hear back withing the next 8 days. any advice or thaughts on this? or if you think i will be able to join?

kalwynclaassen

Reaction score
sup guys im south african,applied last year with 2 other friends one is startin rt next week and the other guy and i are starting 11 may.When we did our application , firstly we phoned the overseas recruiting officer and he sent us paper work.After filling them in and sending them back along with a long list of other forms which is asked for in the letter for example, letter from person were you going to stay in uk,letter from someone you have known in your area with a proffesion that have known more than 6 years and a referee is a must,and you must have known this person for 6 years or longer.he then put us in contact with a recruiting office which in our case was portsmouth.After them receiving and reviewing our forms they will send you other documents which you must keep and fill in,these documents you will give to your recruiting office when you get there.Your recruiting office will then contact you and they will give you a date for your medical and other things.Only then can you plan your trip to the uk to get there in time for the dates.When you get there your afco will be awaiting your arrival so chek into office asap after you have landed then they will explain the rest.I must warn you guys this process for south africans takes a very long time,on landing in the uk to PRMC TOOK 2 MONTHS.then from prmc to RT date took another 5 months and with the recent boom in applications expect to wait much longer.
Hope this helps, and about the visa you dont need one,as long as you dont plan on working there during the long wait.Oh one more thing from phoning the overseas recruiting officer until even thinking about booking your flyt takes about min 4 months.Gud luk try to stay motivated.

Sam L

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Im a south african wanting to join the royal marines. Just wondering if anyone met or know any south africans in prmc,recruit trainig or currently in the royal marines. And *text deleted* are south africans still aloud to join other countries military because there is a new anti-mercenary law stopping SA citizens from joining. All comments would be much appreciated.

There was a South African on my PRMC, he was in the bed next to me :)

He was a top guy! He passed as well, quite convincingly as far as i can remember!

james6787

Reaction score
There was a South African on my PRMC, he was in the bed next to me :) QUOTE]

well..wouldnt go shouting that out that he was in bed next to you ;). haha i kid. did you pass prmc?

EDIT: didnt see your signature, my bad!

vers01

Reaction score
Hey, I'm from Somerset West, just outside Cape Town. Do you think you need the testamony of somone here if you have guys in the UK military vouching for you? I spoke to a recruitment officer on the telephone a couple of months ago and he did not mention it.

*text deleted* im from Somerset west aswell bru.
if * got friends or fam in the forces then use them as a "referee" and that could also help from a time perspective as the MOD archives will have all thr details on file already.
my brother is RMP (military police) honkin i know but hey. So i used him as my referee. Im a rejoin (got to week 20 of RT befor packn it in fo a girl!)
so now busy waitn on my discharge papers, med docs etc befor i get back in the game... going to be emotional hahahah

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Best of luck this time around fella! There's at least one South African on PRMC this week that I'm aware of, so there's no shortage of you guys.

It's surprising how many recruits leave for their partner - particularly as the week 26 opt out window closes, only to decide in hindsight it may not have been the right decision.

At the time it's always seen as 100% the right choice, however a large percentage decide to later re-join.

Hope it all runs smoothly for you!

New Threads