Sparring in boxing

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Done quite sh*t today compared to last week. Was real scrappy, more like fighting than boxing which pissed me off but thats only because of my opponent.

Last week I was picking him out with counter jabs and that but this week he just tried to knock me out which made it way harder to focus on boxing.

I've barely got a bruise on my face but still, why can't some people try and box rather than knock each other out.. especially when they are still on a learning curve.

I don't care about the beatings I got today, I enjoyed it afterwards but why couldn't my opponent, who's been going two weeks less than me, just try to focus on jabbing, one twos and blocking rather than going for the knock out? Saying that, if the ring was any bigger than he would have ended up on the canvas rather than the ropes but anyway, I kind of enjoyed it tonight but I felt like I've let myself down compared to last week.

You learn from your mistakes, and one of mine was to keep my hands up and focus on picking out my opponents rather than just hitting them hard *text deleted*.

Boxing eh, the lovely game! :laugh:

Dan-boxer

Reaction score
its good to go against people like that because if you start having bouts. You will end up going against people like that a lot. Think about it, if you know how to cope against people like that he is just going to get him self hurt mor than knocking you out. 'he walks forward throwing punches and you step back and 1 - 2' not only will they more than likely land they will have a lot more power because he is walking on to them.
Its just different styles of fighting isn't it? Against certain people that style will be good. And some not!
If you can't out box someone.. the best way is scrapping or going for a knockout.

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Yeah it can be annoying if you are sparring to work on some area, and your opponent is just trying to knock you out:doh:. When you are sparring you want to be LEARNING still!

Makes it difficult to try a new/weak technique if you're going to get bashed up each time you try and don't quite master it!
It can make the sparring pointless, except for learning how to scrap and take shots (which is itself important!!)

Sometimes light technical spars are where you learn the most....
Did you ask the guy to chill out a bit?

Some people resort to scrapping or trying to knock you out if they are getting desperate, or if they know they can't out box you...

Also if a boxer is nervous they can load up the power, or if they are just learning (like this guy is,) then it can be difficult to control the power in your shots.

R. M. Pitt

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Ye it helps you if your going to fight but remember when the go in trying to knock you out they just tire themselves out and leave themself open

gedro

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Fill your better hands glove with metal ball bearings, hurrrrrrrrah!

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, I've been going for 7 weeks now. It's not long by any means, still haven't even learnt all the basics yet. Boxing is a sport that takes years and years to learn, and you have to just be patient with it.

However, this guy must have only been going for about 5 weeks which is two weeks less than me. He weighs about 7kg lighter than me but I've got to admit that most of my weight is on my legs because I use to play a lot of football and use to work on my legs a lot down the gym. He's got more torso weight than he and his torso is naturally bigger than mine.

I was trying to pick my shots but when I saw him trying to kill me :saythat: I couldn't box properly so then because of my lack of experience, I just tried to smack him up aswell which was just as bad. He kept walking towards me trying to duck while punching. What the fu'ck! He paid for that when I read him like a book, threw a right hook to the side of his head and he nearly fell over but thanks to the small ring it kept him up.

He even said he was dizzy but if your going to go hard on someone, you must do as well as possible otherwise they'll come back and give it to you twice as hard!

We are the same club, we both have potential to fight for this club. Why knock each other about?

All I learnt from that fight is that I can take some big punches to the head, even though I got no headache what so ever! Slightly bruised nose, but not visable. Image what fighters like Mayweather could do then... scary to imagine!

Death-Oar-Glory

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Sparring at my club, because we're a martial arts club, is different to boxing sparring. Because the attacks are so lethal at times, sparring is also used to teach self control, pulling back on punches and kicks. Things is, even a light round kick, if connecting properly, will give you a proper dead leg! So sparring teaches alot of movement, self-control, and less technique. Technique is taught on Thai pads, which are brilliant, because the pad man can move them about so much, you have to really think, plus, he can still smack you over the head if he wants to and your guard isn't up!

From the sounds of things, sparring in boxing is very different...

Iles

Reaction score
its good to go against people like that because if you start having bouts. You will end up going against people like that a lot. Think about it, if you know how to cope against people like that he is just going to get him self hurt mor than knocking you out. 'he walks forward throwing punches and you step back and 1 - 2' not only will they more than likely land they will have a lot more power because he is walking on to them.
Its just different styles of fighting isn't it? Against certain people that style will be good. And some not!
If you can't out box someone.. the best way is scrapping or going for a knockout.

I agree, some of the best fighters in history have been more scrappers than skillful boxers and styles make fights. Personally I like seeing the two combine and see who comes out better. So it's good to spar against people like this and knowing you can take a shot is quite important when you get in the ring knowing your chin aint made of glass *text deleted*.

Still though as you say it can be quit hard to learn and develop your technique when all your trying to do is avoid being knocked out and throwing haymakers, just tell him to tone it down again next time.