Spean Bridge

Caversham

Former RM Commando, Moderator
Reaction score
Went past the memorial on my way to Skye yesterday and it never fails to impress. Last here many years ago and can’t recall the Garden of Remembrance, but it adds to the atmosphere. Actually saw a couple of names there of guys that I knew. Very poignant.

Added to everything, a C130 did a low level pass right over head, complete with a wing “waggle”, but with my usual WTF was that, I missed the opportunity to get a photo of it.
6FA00D09-02F9-42D7-B021-BF719513C8D4.jpeg

Duality

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
We were there during summer leave. My nod told me about so much while we were there. We talked about the old training facility and why there were coins on some of the memorials in the garden of remembrance. I never knew there used to be a lot more commando units. It was a shame the hotel wasn't open. I had hoped to go to the little museum.

Claddagh

Reaction score
It is soul jarring to see a name you know on something like that. Along similar lines, I was visiting a friend in one of our Northern provinces, Limpopo. We were doing a bit of a bash around the bush. Driving through a teeny little 'dorp', we saw a monument of sorts and went to have a look.

It was a monument unveiled in 1995 in honour of 'Peace'. Reading through the details on the front, I nearly fell out of my boots! There was my grandfather's name and his signature. He was ex Royal Navy-ran away from Ireland to join at 15 and served all through WW2. He was always a very active MOTH here in SA, and that is how his name came to be there. It was really special as he is long gone now

Caversham

Reaction score
Did you visit the Isle of Skye Hotel? A good friend from school, her family owned that hotel ... many moons ago.
Currently on Skye until the weekend in a cottage. Whereabouts is the hotel?

MVP29

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Heading there tomorrow with hubby, it is our first stop on way to Inverness before we start the north coast 500 trip the day after.

Caversham

Reaction score
Heading there tomorrow with hubby, it is our first stop on way to Inverness before we start the north coast 500 trip the day after.
We’re picking up part of the route this weekend when we head north. Going over to the Orkneys on Monday, as I always wanted to dive in Scapa Flow. I’ll make do with a boat trip this time!

Alan

Duality

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
We’re picking up part of the route this weekend when we head north. Going over to the Orkneys on Monday, as I always wanted to dive in Scapa Flow. I’ll make do with a boat trip this time!

Alan
I can reccomend a good boat to use. My husband dives Scapa regularly.

Caversham

Reaction score
Lucky you ! Have you got this fab weather? Doesn’t really matter, have a lovely time up there x
Mixed weather. It changed, as it always does, after driving through Glen Coe. However, sunny, but with some really black clouds around *text deleted*.
Alan

MVP29

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

Alan
Fantastic, sounds like you are going to have a great time, weather is staying good too, bonus!.
We stay in Durness Sunday night and Thurso Monday night (wee distillery tour at Wolfburn booked on the Monday - the most northerly distillery on the mainland) I’ll wave across the water to you - or you might even hear us shouting/singing over to you after we’ve had a few drams :D
Did the day trip to Orkney a few years back with John O’Groats Ferries company. The bus driver was very knowledgeable about the scapa flow and the sinking of the ships.
Are you hiring the boat yourself or is it an organised tour?
It would be awesome to dive it! I couldn’t (claustrophobic) but the boat trip sounds fab. Let us know how it goes please? Thanks

Duality

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I had to give up diving a few years ago, so will just have to settle for a boat trip!
I suspect the husband will have to give up - it costs a bloody fortune given the mental stuff he does. Rebreather and such things. I only ever liked a wee bimble looking at fish.

Caversham

Reaction score
Fantastic, sounds like you are going to have a great time, weather is staying good too, bonus!.
We stay in Durness Sunday night and Thurso Monday night (wee distillery tour at Wolfburn booked on the Monday - the most northerly distillery on the mainland) I’ll wave across the water to you - or you might even hear us shouting/singing over to you after we’ve had a few drams :D
Did the day trip to Orkney a few years back with John O’Groats Ferries company. The bus driver was very knowledgeable about the scapa flow and the sinking of the ships.
Are you hiring the boat yourself or is it an organised tour?
It would be awesome to dive it! I couldn’t (claustrophobic) but the boat trip sounds fab. Let us know how it goes please? Thanks
We are also in Thurso Monday night! Couldn’t get the trip from John O’Groats as they were fully booked, so taking the car over from Thurso to do our own thing. We struggled to get somewhere to stay up there, so have booked an air b&b there, so not sure of what it will be like. It seems everyone is in Scotland at the moment, everywhere seems to be fully booked, so pleased we done it all before leaving. My wife wouldn’t be too happy about bivvying out for the night!

Alan