Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Special Forces Support Group (SFSG)

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by MORP, Nov 17, 2018.

1. MORP

MORP Member

Does anyone have any information on the joining process of the special forces support group? also what would a member of the SFSG do to aid the special forces on a mission?

2. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

A clue is in the title! i.e. Special Forces Support Group :D

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  3. MORP

MORP Member

I gathered haha, but "support" is a very vague description. surely they wouldn't have the same objective as the special forces soldiers they are working with as they don't have nearly thre same level of experience or skills that would come with special forces training.

4. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

That's exactly what they do. They support SF ops. Not up the pointy end of things, but supporting them. Any operation, SF or otherwise, has troops at the sharp end doing the business and others assisting them. That's not to say that they haven't seen plenty of action.

Have a Google. Plenty of info out there about them, but please understand that they are NOT badged members of the SF!

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  5. MORP

MORP Member

alright, thank you for the quick response and for clearing it up!

6. Surfbum

Surfbum Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I have also wondered the same, with both SFSG and ML. They seem to have an element of secrecy about them (either because they need to or I havnt done enough research) and is something that appeals to me for the future. Do you need to be selected for both roles or just meet min requirements?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Fairly sure one of our trained ranks is/was SFSG.

So far as I'm aware SFSG do not undergo any element of UKSF selection as a pre-requisite, however a good number may well have previously undergone SF selection and not been selected, but may still aspire to join UKSF, whom SFSG come under functional command.

Likewise those Royal marines wishing to join SFSG may well be subject to a local pre-selection course run by their originating unit to affirm their suitability.

For ML there is a branch specific selection course, but again, it's not UKSF selection.

Conversely, SFC's, & SRR undertake elements of UKSF selection, but not the full hit and are part of the UKSF organisation, so far as I'm aware.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  8. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    What ninja has put is pretty much all you will find in the public domain.

Best thing is to ask at a unit when you pass out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  9. Corvo50

Corvo50 Royal Marines Commando

Apply for it when you get to unit, you do a selection/cadre to see if your suitable. It’s then a 3yr draft.

Typically SFSG are used as a fire support/Overwatch.

Dont want to say to much more due to OPSEC.

As @ThreadpigeonsAlpha said ask your Boss when you pass out but concentrate on getting the lid first ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  10. Shadow Frog

Shadow Frog Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    When i was in Para Depot we got told if your a good recruit and get best recruit trophy at the end of training you had a opportunity to join 1 Para straight out of Depot.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Do Paras or RAF Regiment undergo any pre-selection assessment before joining SFSG nowadays, I wonder?

So far as I'm aware, there's no requirement but knowing the Corps, they probably don't want to risk sending anyone below par if it reflects negatively on their professional reputation. I believe the Corps has pre-selection courses for many external drafts or training courses for these reasons.

• Like Like x 1
  12. MassamanDave

MassamanDave New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Think I'm correct in saying 1 Para make up the majority of SFSG? Anyone know what the numbers are for RM and Raf reg?

• Like Like x 1
  13. haz96

haz96 New Member

From the Corps you need to do a cadre to join SFSG. Its mainly learning SF TTPs/SOPS, Kit and equipment, CQB and jumps ect. As far as phys goes its main a few elements of P Coy.

The Corps mainly supply F COY however there are bootnecks scattered in other strike Coys and Support coy.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Corvo50

Corvo50 Royal Marines Commando

Think the question is aimed at the Royal Marine joining process for SFSG.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    RAF Regt have their own beat up. And you have to serve in 2 Sqn, which is their para unit to pass P coy before they allow you, if I remember correctly.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  16. Advocado

Advocado Royal Marines Commando

Yeah pretty much everything reference the corps and SFSG is mentioned above. I've spent a fair bit of time in the unit.

Apply to join via JPA, undergo a suitability interview with your OC. Then if you are deemed suitable you will be put forward for the draft.

Pass an initial 6 week cadre when you first rock up at the unit. Quite cheeky, lots of phys, lots of range work and a few exercises mainly focusing on CQB. After the 6 weeks you go on your jumps until you qualify for your wings.

Pass the cadre and you get placed into one of the strike companies. Information on the internet is out-dated these days the corps man all the companies now not just F coy.

Can't divulge much more information for obvious reasons but it is a very busy unit and the roles are extremely varied, as mentioned above sometimes you will get utilised as overwatch, cordons and fire support however you will be at the sharp end of things from time to time too, more often than you would expect anyway. The training you receive in the unit is absolutely fantastic too much better than anywhere else in the corps has to offer.

If anyone has any more questions fire me a PM but be aware I can't answer any sensitive questions due to the disclosure policy.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Seen Seen x 1
  17. allye

allye Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Out of interest and not because that’s where my aspirations lie, but it is a natural stepping stone to SF selection or is, as previously mentioned, where some lads who have failed SF selection naturally end up?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Advocado

It's more of an insight to SF than a stepping stone I would say. You get to work with them a lot and you get issued the same kit so it's a good look in as to what working in an SF unit would be like.

However the unit is so busy that you can't really afford the time to train for selection so it could actually disadvantage you prior to going on selection as you won't be able to reach your peak fitness beforehand.

I would say the best stepping stone to SF or preparation for selection that's the corps offers is either the ML3/ML2 courses or a PT2 course. The level of fitness you achieve on those courses sets you right up for passing the hills, and the level of soldiering you are taught at CTCRM as a nod has already set you up for passing the jungle.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  19. ave!

ave! Royal Marines Commando

Out of curiosity is it a GD only thing or can any spec request to go sfsg?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Advocado

It was GD only but they have recently changed it so now they are only taking specs there. Definitely worth chatting to your branch advisor about if you're interested in getting there, loads of billets across the specs have opened up recently.

• Like Like x 1