Special Reconaissance Regiment (SRR)

C

critchmufc

i cant find any good information anywer on this SF, can anyone give some because wikipedia is useless with these

C

critchmufc

also, when you go to selection and they ask SAS or SBS is SRR a choice to, not that i want to join, im just going mad for knowledge on them

Distant.RM.Cooper

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I think they concentrate on radar and sonar. Recon missions. Its possible they work with MI5.

I surpose it's like the Eyes and Ears for the SAS/SBS which would be on the ground.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I kind of wander what they do, because I imagine the SAS/SBS mostly do their own reconnaissance so...I think specifically non combat though.

v3locity

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Mark of a good special service to be honest if there is not a lot of information out there about them then they are obviously good at there job.

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
I believe the SRR do alot of what the Det were up to in Northern Ireland.

Surveillance, keeping tabs on people, monitoring the movements of known terrorists and weapons. Very risky on the ground stuff, but their main objective isn't to go in SAS/SBS style and shoot the bad guys, but rather gather intel.

Apparently they operate in the UK alot too.

Edit:
For example, there's a known Taliban safehouse in Afghanistan. It's useful to keep it under long term surveillance, monitor who's coming and going. That's the type of job the SRR would do, freeing up the SAS/SBS for offensive operations.

maophia

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
SRR sounds like fun to me!
By the sounds of it's proper shifty people in dark corners of the world watching even darker and more shifty people!

Caversham

Former RM Commando, Moderator
Reaction score
There's a book out a few years ago called The Operators, written by a guy called James Rennie. It details the selection of people for 14 Int, which was the predecessor for SRR, and their subsequent operations in NI.

The ISBN number is 0-7126-7730-5 and was first published by Century in 1996. Maybe still in print and definately worth a read.

ATF

Reaction score
There's a book out a few years ago called The Operators, written by a guy called James Rennie. It details the selection of people for 14 Int, which was the predecessor for SRR, and their subsequent operations in NI.

The ISBN number is 0-7126-7730-5 and was first published by Century in 1996. Maybe still in print and definately worth a read.
Very good read, a chap I know was from 14 Company. Interesting stuff. Training was tough especially when he gets jumped on for interrogation.

ukkpa

Reaction score
it actually sounds really good being in the SRR
I think being part of BRF would be a good warm up for this, do your GD then ML2 - SRR would be plain sailing! *cough* except for SF selection *cough*

(sorry for excessive acronyms!)

ukkpa

Reaction score
On the subject of SRR. Where do the guys mainly come from? Not actually expecting an answer here but oh well...

So mainly SBS is marines, SAS is paras, SRR?

LAS920

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I read somewhere at some point they come mainly from signals, but I wouldnt like to be quoted on that, some distant memory that's all.

ukkpa

Reaction score
Don't think they do SF selection. Plenty of women are in it.
Did not know that! Although if they were just an "upgrade" from 14 Signals, it does make sense. Still, they are *special* forces, would have thought they would do SF selection - especially if stories are to be believed about them getting caught behind enemy lines...

Adamos

Reaction score
I would relate them to the secret services more than SF, as you don't have to do SF training, as was said ladies are in it.

Im not planning to do all this stuff, but if I was, I would want the offensive ops with the proper SF teams.

T

tricky123

On the subject of SRR. Where do the guys mainly come from? Not actually expecting an answer here but oh well...

So mainly SBS is marines, SAS is paras, SRR?
Just a rough guess, I would say signals and the intelligence corps??

I would relate them to the secret services more than SF, as you don't have to do SF training, as was said ladies are in it.

Im not planning to do all this stuff, but if I was, I would want the offensive ops with the proper SF teams.
They have to do SF selection, but it is more sorting through intelligence than actually recce-ing things/people/places I am led to believe.

I've heard a few rumours aswell that they were involved in the intelligence gathering in the run up to the killing of Jean Charles de Menezes (or however its spelt)

Even though they have a pretty cool cap badge, (which probably is never worn) I would agree with you in saying I would rather the old fashioned proper special forces (SAS/SBS).
Think I've read (if not, then got, or plan to get) every book from an ex member of the SAS on his time in it, and am sure I have seen every documentary... several times haha.
I even have the email address of one, who you will all know :bigsmile:

ukkpa

Reaction score
Yes, very funny! Although it is only speculated that they base themselves at Stirling Lines (where the Google Maps links to...)