Specific circumstances

Discussion in 'RM Officer questions' started by BMinns, Jan 8, 2017.

1. BMinns

BMinns New Member

Hi lads,

Going to attempt to keep tho breif but hey ho, we'll see how it goes.

So I turn 21 in February and have some decent GCSEs, my plan is to go back to college, get a few decent a levels (chemistry, sport, biology) then apply for officer.

I've been thinking about going in as a gm for abpit 3-5 years and have finally decided that officer is the way to go for me.

I've tried about every type of job there is and nothing, and I mean nothing takes my mind off the marines.

The plan is to join the TA for a year/2 to get to grips with the basics and then I've got 2 years as of September to train, learn and prepare for seleftion/training.

Work part time to keep the bills happy at the same time (feel like balancing all this at once will be good prep also)

Any advice at all, no matter how big or small will be welcomed,

Realistic expectations of fitness, best a levels to take it even a good time to apply would be amazing.

Cheers lads (and now ladies I hear?)

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  2. Churchy10

Churchy10 Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Sounds like good stuff mate

As long as you get 180 UCAS points you will be eligible, it goes without saying to aim for more.

TA sounds like a good idea to get you into the swing but why not RMR?

Just focus on the phys, you have plenty of time!

3. BMinns

BMinns New Member

Can you go in reserves then apply for regular officer? Didn't even think to look

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Yes.

The other advantage is you will sit the recruit test and find out whether you've scored high enough for officer entry or whether it's a pipe dream.

If you've reached age 21 without taking A Levels then odds are it's going to cost you and you'll need to do at least two to acquire the UCAS points. A dual or triple award BTEC level 3 maybe the more viable option.

5. BMinns

BMinns New Member

Right, I see why that would make sense.

I was under the impression that 'good quality a levels'would put k in better stead over say a btec? Or is it literally ucas points tick in a box sort of requirement?

6. Ninja_Stoker

In my experience candidates with either A Levels or A Levels & a BTEC tend to perform better than those with just a BTEC but that usually applies to 18 year olds. About 85% of those aged 21+, selected for RM Officer also have a degree.

We don't differentiate, but statistically, that just tends to be the case.

7. BMinns

BMinns New Member

Quick update...

The careers adviser says he recommends going in for rm rather than officer and trying to get in that way...

His reason was I could and up potentially not getting into officer of I call the first time round because of my age I wouldn't really get another crack at it, that would then leave me with no choice but to go into ordinary rm training.

I completely see where he is coming from, I wouldn't be getting my a levels if I passed them all with enough ucas points the first time) until I was 23, dont want to spend the next 3 years in college and pay for a levels if i would potentiall end up where I am now anyway,

Thoughts?

8. Ninja_Stoker

The only assured way of becoming an RM Officer is by joining as one and to join as one, you need the entry qualifications.

As stated previously, sit the recruit test, then you'll know whether officer is remotely viable. From what you've described about yourself so far and going by what your careers adviser suggested, there are few outward indications to determine why you feel you have the leadership and management experience or potential to join as an Officer rather than Other Rank.

9. BMinns

BMinns New Member

Yeah, got it booked in for next Thursday so will see what's what from there

Thanks for the reply

• Like Like x 1
  10. BMinns

BMinns New Member

So rt went well!

For high eenough marks for officer on 3/4 of the exams with no real revision whatsoever (don't mean to boast but I'm saying with revision I believe I could pass all 4 for offocer standard)

Eye sight is also spot on for what it needs to be, if I pass the medical (which is hopeful) I'm really considering officer...

Is it right that you can apply as long as if you were successful to start yo training you need to be under 26?

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. cc1

cc1 Royal Marines Commando

If you have your sights set on Officer - stick at it. Time is most definitely on your side. If you went OR, you wouldn't find the same challenges that you will as a commissioned rank, and you may regret it.

If you were nudging 30, I'd say go for OR, but you have bags of time.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  12. Fibonarchie

Fibonarchie Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Take a shot mate! Worst that can happen-they tell you that you're not officer material an you go OR. Bags better than going OR to start with and never knowing. Good luck with your green lid.

13. whatwillbewillbe!

whatwillbewillbe! New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Just to put my thoughts in the mix, if you don't try, you wont know. As previously stated, what's really the the worst that can happen? You don't get to be an officer? At least you can say you tried.

14. BMinns

BMinns New Member

Yeah, looks like ill be going back to college for 2 years then

• Like Like x 1