speed for good time ?

Layden23

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
hey lads,
just a quick question.
what speed do you guys usually run on the treadmill when heading to be under the time limits.
so like the first 2.4 0 ?
2nd 2.40 ?
just so i know where i stand
cheers

Old Man

Ex-Matelot
Reaction score
I've noticed various questions regarding the speed at which to set the treadmill, in order to achieve the required times.

15kph will give a 2.4k time of 9 mins 36
16kph will give a time of 9 mins
17kph will give a time of 8 mins 30ish
18kph will give a time of 8 mins

12kph, for the first part of the run, will get you 12 mins.

Rusty6270

Reaction score
Normally on the treadmill:
0-2.4KM- 13kph
2.4-4KM- 15kph
4-4.8KM- 17.5-19kph

bit scientific i know but its a routine i got into

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I've noticed various questions regarding the speed at which to set the treadmill, in order to achieve the required times.

15kph will give a 2.4k time of 9 mins 36
16kph will give a time of 9 mins
17kph will give a time of 8 mins 30ish
18kph will give a time of 8 mins

12kph, for the first part of the run, will get you 12 mins.

i wish i knew that before i did my PJFT

Richard

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yea im taking Old Mans advice. Ive just done a run 2nite on the tredmill. First 1.5 i did on speed 12 second 1.5 i did on speed 15..
Might sound like a silly question, but if your allways holding onto the bars on the side of the tredmill to catch your breath will they say anything? i tend to do it after every 2 mins..

Reaction score
Yea im taking Old Mans advice. Ive just done a run 2nite on the tredmill. First 1.5 i did on speed 12 second 1.5 i did on speed 15..
Might sound like a silly question, but if your allways holding onto the bars on the side of the tredmill to catch your breath will they say anything? i tend to do it after every 2 mins..

It's unlikely you'll be able to do that. It's really easy to run holding on to the bars, as you support some of your weight on them.

spartan

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
i had it at 16km/h and i got a time of 9:01 not 9:00 *text deleted*

am19

Reaction score
When i did my PJFT we were told that you are not aloud to hold onto the handle bars whilst running. just a heads up.

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score

Generally your not allowed to touch the bars or stop at anytime during the run, if you have to hold the bars to help your running you shouldn't be doing the PJFT yet.

Old Man

Ex-Matelot
Reaction score
If I was actually giving advice, I would suggest - Do more than you need for a test - then you'll have the confidence of knowing that you're going to pass and can go for a 'best time'.

If you're just starting training on the treadmill, go for 6k at 12kph.

Once you can achieve this regularly do 3k at 12kph, then without a break, increase the speed for the second 3k to 13kph.

Again, once comfortable with this, increase the second 3k to 14kph and so on, through 15, 16, 17 and 18kph, or wherever you max out.

Once you find a max level for the second 3k, that you can do consistently, do the final 100 metres, or 0.1k as your best sprint.

Gradually increase the distance of this final sprint to 2-300 metres.

Occasionally, once every week or two, test yourself at the official 2.4k at 12kph, rest for the minute and do 2.4k starting at 15kph gradually increasing the speed to achieve a best effort.

Once you have achieved the first major goal of 3k at 12kph followed by 3k at 15kph, your confidence should be sky-high. You'll know you can pass the 3-miler and any extra gain is a bonus.

I'm not EVER going to PRMC but if I was, that is how I would train.

New Threads