Sponsorship - Bursaries, Reserved Places & Scholarships

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by PRM2012, Apr 16, 2009.

1. PRM2012

PRM2012 New Member

University Bursaries - Help!

Hi Guys, I'm new to this forum but have been reading it for the last few days and found it hugely interesting and helpful. Thanks!

As someone who is thinking of applying i obviously have millions of questions but will only bore you with this one!

Are there bursaries available for someone going through university as i know the Army and RAF do but couldnt find information on the Marines with regards to financial help.?

Help would be greatly appreciated as I'm seriously considering applying!

Thanks
    Guy

2. ukkpa

ukkpa Active Member

Hi, welcome to the site Guy.

In short, yes there are bursaries there but in no means the quantities that the Army or the RAF hand out.

In addition, they're only for officer, and you have to have completed POC and AIB (and scored very highly) in order to qualify. I can't actually find the relevant pages on the website at the moment but I'm sure they're there somewhere, and someone will point them out to you. I think it's a standard TriService amount of ?1500 a year, but I may be wrong on that so don't cite me!

What stage are you at at the moment? A-Levels?

3. PRM2012

PRM2012 New Member

I'm in my first year at university studying Spanish and Portuguese. I know its not a typical military degree but if we go to war with Spain, you never know!

I didnt realise i had to do the POC etc before i could be eligible for bursary. Which means i will have to start training now in order to be able to pass it as at the moment i am no way near fitness. I only play rugby league 4 times a week. Which definately isnt enough!

So for arguments sake....
    I just sent off the forms for potential officer.
    What happens next....?

Thanks very much!

4. Matt4017

Matt4017 Active Member

Essentially mate you have to go and talk to the AFCO, if they say that you're eligible, a good candidate etc then you go through the application process as usual but if you're accepted your place is deferred until you finish uni and then you start in the next batch. As UKKPA has said though, places are very limited with only a couple being awarded each year, its worth a crack though and even if you don't get one then you can still apply again after uni and you'll already have been through the process once so you'll know what to expect and the areas you need to focus on improving.

5. PRM2012

PRM2012 New Member

Yeah thats what i was thinking. If i fail i can train on exactly what ive seen and make sure i pass after my university course ends. The Army offer much more bursaries but ive always said, if I'm applying for a career, i want to be the best. So its definately worth speaking to my AFCO and asking whether or not i should apply for bursary?

I know the chances are very slim, but you never know.
    If i carried on with the process of applying and had a meeting with my AFCO, whats next on the agenda?
    Also, if i passed the course and got a bursary, would i have to do the POC again after university?

Thanks a lot! Great help once again!

6. Matt4017

Matt4017 Active Member

If you're serious about it then yes its definitely worth going and seeing them and seeing what they have to say.

7. Matt4017

Matt4017 Active Member

Damn, messed up one of the quotes.

8. ukkpa

ukkpa Active Member

I think you might have to do POC again afterwards, but only to prove to them that you're still at the required fitness level. Don't think you redo AIB. I may have just made all of that up though!

Given you're currently first year, it may be worth taking a full year to get into properly good shape, then applying properly this time next year for 2011 YO batch.

If you were to apply now, then you'd have to sit through a very basic presentation by your ACLO, then psychometric tests, SIFT interview, medical, eye test, POC and AIB. All of this takes about 6-8 months, providing you pass everything, longer otherwise. Not sure if officers need to do PJFT, but that would be my next stage and my ACLO hasn't mentioned it - she said the next time I speak to her she should have a POC date for me...

And as for normal degrees for officers, maybe it's a thread I will start. I don't think one can really stereotype degrees for Marines, you're doing Spanish & Portugese, I'm studying Music at Cambridge...!

9. Matt4017

Matt4017 Active Member

With regard to normal degrees, well, I'm doing Ancient History at Manchester..........say what you will, I think its interesting!
    UKKPA may be right about the PJFT, i don't know, just thought I'd read it somewhere. He's further along in the application process than me so he probably knows better. Guess we'll have to wait for Ninja to come along and answer the questions that are left....

10. ukkpa

ukkpa Active Member

I'm sure I've read somewhere that officers need do PJFT too, but it doesn't say on http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/royalmarines/careers/how-to-join/ and my ACLO didn't think it applies for officers... I'll let you know if/when I get a PJFT/POC date!

11. Matt4017

Matt4017 Active Member

Thanks mate. Ive had a quick look through the stickies and can't see anything but I'm sure i have read somewhere that they do! Guess you'll find out soon though! Keep us posted on how its going.

12. Sotiris

Sotiris Moderator

Welcome Guy.

You've already had the application path pointed out to you so I wont bother. Just a few tips though, start learning all you can about the Corps. It's structure, history, equipment, current operations and the future. There are many book threads on the site so have a look around, lots of good recommendation.

For this like your SIFT and psychometrics you can start working on them right away.

http://www.practicetests.co.uk/Launchtest.asp#

This is a brialliant site for psychometric examples. Don't enter your actual details, it'll accept any combination of numbers or letters.

In regards to the bursary, they give out about 2 a year if any at all. If you've earned a bursary, you've earned a place in the batch once you graduate. You wont have to re-sit any of the selection process once.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Just to claify:

ALL officer candidates who submit an application after 01 January 2009 must undergo a PJFT prior to attending POC.

If you pass POC & AIB with sufficiently high enough grades, you may earn a reserved place which means they remain valid until you graduate, however the vast majority remain valid for 12 months & must be re-taken.

Whilst not trying to be negative, you need to be aware from the whole of UK there was only one RM scholarship & 4 RM bursaries awarded in 2006 (the last year I have figures for).

14. PRM2012

PRM2012 New Member

Right! Thats going to be a bit difficult considering I'm not Superman standard. Oh Crap.
    Even if ill be aiming to apply in 2012, when will i have to start the application process? Can I get Marine fit in 2 years ish?

Thanks so much again, you are making this easy!

15. Matt4017

Matt4017 Active Member

2 years is plenty of time to get fit even if your fitness is awful now. If you're aiming for 2012 entry then you need to start applying (at the latest) by christmas 2011 though I would recommend starting earlier than that.

16. PRM2012

PRM2012 New Member

I'm not unfit, i play rugby league 4 times a week and go running but there is a big difference between fit and being Marine fit. I need to train myself to do more than I'm used to and not stop when I'm tired! As long as ive got enough time to do it all. I got 15.3 in the bleep test for my rugby league team this season. Is that good for the marines?

17. Matt4017

Matt4017 Active Member

If you're getting that kind of score then you don't need to worry mate. Maximum scoring mark is 16.4 I think but not many people get that. 15.3 is a brilliant score, don't think I could manage it to be honest.

18. PRM2012

PRM2012 New Member

Thats good to know! the only thing letting me down at the moment is my strength etc. I can run indoors and only kept going in the bleep test as i wanted to get as high as i can in front of the rugby league guys as I'm a fresher etc. Still wasnt the highest score!
    With the right training i hope to be fit enough but ive never been able to say "right, get out of bed and go running" haha.
    Obviously i will have to! I want to learn more about the Marines so i was going to buy a book to get me started. Will they have them in Waterstones? Which would you recommend?

Thanks Matt.

19. Matt4017

Matt4017 Active Member

20. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Annual Naval Bursaries, Reserved Places & 6th form scholarships are currently awarded as follows:

Pilot 2 bursaries, 4 Lower 6th, 1 Upper 6th
    Observer 1 bursary
    Warfare 4 bursaries, 1 Reserved Place, 3 Lower 6th, 1 Upper 6th
    Warfare Submariners 2 bursaries
    Engineer 11 bursaries, 2 Reserved Place, 5 Lower 6th, 2 Upper 6th
    Logistics 1 Lower Sixth

Royal Marine 2 bursaries, 2 Reserved Place, 2 Lower 6th, 1 Upper 6th

Defence Technical Undergraduate places 31
    Welbeck places 29