Sponsorship - Bursaries, Reserved Places & Scholarships

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by PRM2012, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Bursaries

Candidates who do not wish to join the Service before starting a first degree
    course at a UK university may apply for Bursary sponsorship at any time before the
    start of their final year Bursars remain civilians whilst reading for their degrees, but are required to join the Service after graduation on an Initial Commission. Acquaint courses are held during vacations and bursars are expected to participate.

A bursary is normally awarded for 3 years, advice from AIB should be sought as to whether or not an award for more than 3 years is appropriate.

Awards cannot be deferred or suspended once awarded, so candidates wishing
    to take a "year out" must do so prior to application. There is however a mechanism to
    consider the exceptional circumstances within the scheme, but these are addressed
    case by case and do not constitute a right to defer or extend the time taken to complete a bursary.

The current value of a bursary can be found on the RN website under sponsorship. It is exempt from income tax and it is not affected by the financial position of either the candidate or their parents?/guardians?. It may however affect eligibility for DofEE funding of tuition fees and student loan limits.

Scholarship and Reserved Place Scheme

The Scholarship and Reserved Place Scheme is for young people who wish to
    join the RM as Officers. It is open to those who are about to take GCSE or SCE
    Ordinary/Standard Grade examinations, and are intending to study for A levels, Higher Grade, Certificate of Sixth Year Studies or other equivalents. Those who reach the qualifying educational standard, satisfy the medical criteria and successfully undergo the selection procedure will have places reserved for them to join the RM conditional upon passing their A levels (or equivalent)

The parents/guardians of those awarded a Scholarship will receive an award
    towards the cost of keeping their child at school or college in order to qualify for entry
    to the RM The current value of an award can be found
    on the RN website under sponsorship. Parents/guardians of those awarded a Reserved Place only, will receive no financial assistance.

Candidates may apply for either a 2 Year Scholarship and Reserved Place, or a 1 Year Scholarship and Reserved Place.

Candidates applying for a 1 or 2 Year Scholarship & Reserved Place need not need not re-take POC & AIB if joining the service after finishing A levels.

Candidates who are awarded a 2-Year Scholarship and
    Reserved Place and subsequently wish to apply for a Bursary will be required to re-attend the POC & AIB and be considered for selection along with the other
    sponsorship applicants.

This last year there have been a total of 2 Bursaries, 2 Reserved Places, 2 Lower 6th Scholarships & 1 upper 6th Scholarship awarded in the whole of the UK

2. foggers

foggers Active Member

Thanks for this, keep hearing a load of different things from AFCOs around the country as no one really seems quite sure.

I was told by one AFCO that it is possible to be awarded a place in YO but without the money. Or would they just tell you to go away and come again another day?

3. Death-Oar-Glory

Death-Oar-Glory Member

I was told the same as Foggers, basically a reserved place for after uni?
    Thanks for the figures Ninja, that's the first time anyone has given me actual numbers withregards to this subject!!

4. Ninja_Stoker

No problem, I thought the figures help put things into perspective.

We only take around the top 50 civilian officer candidates per year & there's quite a deep pool of eligible candidates. Those seeking sponsorship are frankly more likely to get it from the Army as they are over twice the size of the entire Navy & a staggering twenty times bigger than the all-up trained strength of the Royal Marines Commandos.

Now you can begin to appreciate why Royal Marines Officers have to be pretty damn good to be selected, let alone be awarded a bursary - those that actually pass out of RM Officer training tend to be "fairly good".

As you can see there are so few sponsorships offered to potential RM Officers in the grand scheme of things, that it's one of those subjects that is just not known about "in depth" because of the rarity value. There are usually a flurry of phone calls to the POC course officer & the AIB selection officer whenever the subject is asked in earnest at an AFCO.

5. foggers

foggers Active Member

So how many people per year go on a POC?

6. Ninja_Stoker

It varies.

A few years back we had 200 pass AIB & POC - we selected 50.

About 1 in 16 fully eligible candidates get as far as attending POC, about 50% pass & about 50% of those passing POC later pass AIB.

7. foggers

foggers Active Member

Ninja_Stoker, I found a part for RN sponsorship and it says that you can expect to spend some time getting to know the service during holidays. Does this go for RM as well?

8. Jackol

Jackol New Member

Cadetship/Busery

Recently I've heard things about Cadetships or Buserys, which means you can join uni while receiving training on weekends or holidays while getting a small salary and the military pay for your uni. I'm really not sure about the details, I'm wondering about things like,
    what are the requirments?
    what kind of training do you do? how much?
    do officers get a better deal?
    etc

9. Ninja_Stoker

Thread merged.

Currently there are no university cadetships available, however you maybe thinking of the URNU or OTC.

Bursaries & Scholarships are mentioned earlier in this thread.

10. Salway

Salway New Member

When to apply

hi guys, brilliantly informative thread,
    I'm currently in my penultimate year of compulsory education (year 10, i take my GCSE's next year) and was wandering when is the time to start applying for a 6th form 2year scholarship and reserved place, I'm hopefully going to see my AFCO during February half term. And just to clarify I'm aware i can't start the application till at least 15years and 9 months. Also, its no entirely relevant but, would anyone recommend going on a look at life course and if I'm right i can't go on a POV until I've started the application process?:weird:

11. mjbennett123

mjbennett123 New Member

University Bursary/Cadet/Sponcership....

Hello,

I am currently Studying International Politics/Strategic Studies at Aberystwyth University. With the ambition of becoming a RM Officer. Basically i enquired into bursaries, and sponcership during the summer (august 09 - after my results) i went to the manchester careers office. They didnt really help me at all, i was just after some information regarding whether i was a suitable candidate for sponcership (i have the right quallifications for officer entry) but wanted to walk away with some info, they asked me to return another day for an informal chat. This was because it was the interview day for standard recruits and they were too busy - which they were (monday 9:00am). I couldnt however return to see them due to moving away from manchester down to aberystwyth, so i left it as it was.

Anyway my nearest careers office is cardiff, and i cant really make it there. So basically i am looking for a bit of advice of how to gather the information and find out whether I'm suitable or not...

Cheers.
    Matt

12. Ninja_Stoker

There are no cadetships for any Naval Officers at present, there are very seldom bursaries for RM Officer candidates & generally around three sixth form scholarships offered per year.

You may email your nearest AFCO, link below, but be aware those who are awarded sponsorship can generally spell it & are within the top two or three percent of POC & AIB passes.

Best of luck.

Thread now merged, post number 21 refers to the process.

13. polanderr

polanderr New Member

I also need help, i went to the AFCO yesterday and aksed about the scholership, i recieved an application to sit the Naval Service recruit test, and the rehabilitation of offenders act form, On the back of the offenders one because I'm 15 and 9 months do i need my parent to sign it?

also what would i expect when i apply for the scholership?

Thanks
    Oliver

14. Junior92

Junior92 New Member

All potential entrants have to do the PJFT, officer or normal rank. I did it after my medical and before the SIFT interview. Also regarding the POC adn AIB, I'm almost certain that you only have to pass them once then you automatically get a place in the batch after you've finished your course injury permitting.

Alex

15. JT-96

JT-96 New Member

Scholarships

I am currently in year 12 and hoping to apply as an officer after university. I have heard rumours about scholarships awarded by the royal marines to help with uni fees. Could someone please clear up wether or not these do exist and what application they'd involve? If it makes any difference I am doing RM cadets at school.

Thanks in advance,

JT

16. v3locity

v3locity New Member

They do exist.

They would involve you applying and undertaking the same process as all potential officers. I.e. recruit tests, optical, medical, PJFT, sift interview, POC and AIB.

You also have to obtain very good passes at POC and AIB to be considered for a scholarship. They are highly sought after and thus very difficult to obtain since only the best get them with only 6 or 7 given a year.

Ninja i am sure will be along shortly to give you the official line, it maybe worthwhile ringing or popping into your local AFCO and getting the ball rolling.

Best of luck.

17. markksafc

markksafc New Member

I'm sure i asked about this before and ninja said there was only 2 or 3 given a year, might be wrong though

18. v3locity

v3locity New Member

There never seems to be a definitive. It varies a lot, i think they have a fair amount of flexibility but only choose the best. So if the standard is low one year they don't take as many people on...

I am sure Ninja will clarify though. I did recall him saying that often AFCO's are unaware of the details for scholarships for the marines as they so seldom have enquiries for them. In which case the AIB is contacted.

19. Ninja_Stoker

Thread merged.

Numbers of scholarships and bursaries are not determined until the selection stage of those passing POC & AIB for that year are completed - otherwise we don't know how many we have of adequate quality to award the scholarship or bursary.

For 6th form Scholarships, we usually anticipate about two a year for potential Royal Marines - it's not even worth considering unless you have top grades (Mainly A*'s, A's and the odd one or two B's) across the board at GCSE (and AS for upper 6th applicants) .

For University Bursars this year we're expecting no more than around 4 being awarded for RM YO candidates. Bear in mind the threshold is much the same as 6th Form with regard GCSE results & you need in excess of 240 UCAS points at A2.

Competition is tough, standards are extremely high beyond just the academics, but if you're in the top few percent of UK applicants, give it a shot.

To give an idea of how stiff the competition is, one of the sixth formers from the top performing grammar school in my region didn't even make the grade by passing the Recruiting Test for Officer applicants, despite excellent academic results.

The moral to the story is prepare, prepare, prepare.

Good luck.

20. JT-96

JT-96 New Member

Thanks for replying so soon and helpfully. Just one more thing, at what age could/should I apply for a university scholarship?