Sponsorship - Bursaries, Reserved Places & Scholarships

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by PRM2012, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

University Bursaries can be applied for from 6th Form onwards.

If successful you maybe awarded a 'Reserved Place' which means POC & AIB remain valid until you join. Otherwise they each need retaking & passing within 12 months of entry.

2. Ninja_Stoker

DFSC Welbeck educational requirements:

To apply for sponsorship to the Royal Navy, , through the Defence Sixth Form College Welbeck, you should be a medically fit, a UK, Commonwealth or Irish citizen and aged between 15 years and 17 years six months on 1st September in the year of entry to the College. Certain pre-existing medical conditions may prevent you from joining the Services but these are listed on the respective careers websites.

To join as a WPS student you must show a strong commitment to develop yourself both personally and academically at Welbeck

For RN/RM applicants:

An 'A Grade' or better at GCSE (or equivalent) in Mathematics and a 'B Grade' or better in dual award Science or Physics, as well as a 'C Grade' or better in English Language - candidates must score at least 40 points (38 in Scotland) for their best seven subjects (which must include both Mathematics and Science) on the basis of:

GCSE A*= 8 points
    GCSE A or SCE 1 = 7 points
    GCSE B or SCE 2 = 6 points
    GCSE C or SCE 3=5 points

Your school or college must supply a reference showing that you are expected to achieve the minimum entry requirements. Candidates must also be capable of taking Mathematics and Physics and two other subjects for the first year of their sixth form, as well as an ECDL course.

3. WC15

WC15 New Member

Ninja - three questions;
    can reserved places be gained so that the person will have a place reserved for him after university?
    Also can the a level scholarships be given to candidates who go to an independent school?If so ^ how do you apply for the A level scholarship?

4. Duff1996

Duff1996 Member

App Stage:
    Awaiting selection after AIB pass
    Sorry to revive this thread, but how does the money get paid to you if you receive a bursary? Does it get knocked off your tuition fees or is it given as a lump sum? Maybe one for @Ninja_Stoker.

5. Ninja_Stoker

I think you either get a £500 cheque each term or £1500 at the beginning of each academic year- I'll double check.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Duff1996

Duff1996 Member

App Stage:
    Awaiting selection after AIB pass
    @Ninja_Stoker , say you were to have passed both POC and AIB and were thinking of dropping out of uni, could you put yourself forward for the nearest upcoming batch selection? This would be instead of applying for the Bursary.

7. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, absolutely - speak to your ACLO.

8. Candoit

Candoit New Member

App Stage:
    Passed POC
    Hi

This is probably aimed at Ninja Stoker

I wondered if you could tell me when the University Bursary Sponsorship Board meets, I think it might be some time next week I just can't seem to find the date.

Your insight would be appreciated.

9. Ninja_Stoker

My understanding is it sits before 30th September - I'll ask, come Monday.

10. Candoit

Candoit New Member

App Stage:
    Passed POC
    If you were unsuccessful in receiving a Bursary Sponsorship this year and the letter said you could reply, do you need to re-do all of the application including the POC (current until January 2017). Or can you just re-sit the parts that are out of date ie PJFT, and medical and go straight to AIB before January?

Hope this makes sense?

11. Ninja_Stoker

You would only need re-take the expired elements, but all elements must be valid at the start of the academic year for which you wish to gain a bursary (much the same as they must be valid upon entry into YO training).

12. Candoit

Candoit New Member

App Stage:
    Passed POC
    Thanks.

So just so to ensure I sully get this. You could re-do PJFT and medical before January - redo AIB before January and then depending on how well that went re-do POC before June so as to be considered for the September 2017 Bursary Sponsorship panel?

Sorry just want to clearly understand