sprint training how?

andy5sm

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i no it sounds stupid but im fit but i *text deleted* build my pace up so i can generally run faster,
ive been told sprint training is the way but how would i conduct it?

if someone could post an example it would be much appreciated, Cheers:shakehands:

gedro

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Sprint for 20/30 seconds, walk for 40 seconds, sprint for 20/30 seconds, walk for 40 seconds, sprint for 20/30 seconds, walk for 40 seconds, sprint for 20/30 seconds, walk for 40 seconds, sprint for 20/30 seconds, walk for 40 seconds, sprint for 20/30 seconds, walk for 40 seconds, sprint for 20/30 seconds, walk for 40 seconds, sprint for 20/30 seconds, walk for 40 seconds, sprint for 20/30 seconds, walk for 40 seconds, sprint for 20/30 seconds, walk for 40 seconds, sprint for 20/30 seconds, walk for 40 seconds, sprint for 20/30 seconds, walk for 40 seconds, sprint for 20/30 seconds, walk for 40 seconds, sprint for 20/30 seconds, walk for 40 seconds, sprint for 20/30 seconds, walk for 40 seconds, sprint for 20/30 seconds, walk for 40 seconds, sprint for 20/30 seconds, walk for 40 seconds.....

Or replace the walking with jogging, depending on how fit you really are. :idea:

Daz-PRMC

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
An extrememly simple but ball breaking session I do at the moment looks like this...

Jog 100m
Sprint 100m
10 Burpees

x10

If you're working hard enough this should be a killer, easily tailored to be made easier or harder depending on work capacity

Richard

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
When i do a 3 mile run or so. I will just do a light jog around the football pitches, when i get off the fields and go onto the roads i sprint from lamp post to the other and then go back to a jog after a few sets i do.
Good luck.

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
or, find a footy pitch and jog the short sides and sprint the long sides

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
An extrememly simple but ball breaking session I do at the moment looks like this...

Jog 100m
Sprint 100m
10 Burpees

x10

If you're working hard enough this should be a killer, easily tailored to be made easier or harder depending on work capacity

Daz, that sounds like a nice workout. (By nice, i mean gut wrenching, but effective.)
Do you have a breather between rounds, or is that the purpose of the 100m jog? Will give this a blast this week.

Another sprint training idea on the footie pitch:

sprint 1 side, jog 3.
sprint 2 sides, jog 2.
sprint 3 sides, jog 1.
sprint 3 sides, jog 1.
sprint 2 sides, jog 2.
sprint 1 side, jog 3.

Then start at one end of the pitch in the centre of the goal. Sprint straight forward to the first white line across your path, then jog back. Sprint to the 2nd white line you in front of you, jog back.
Do this for all of the white lines on the pitch, including the centre spot.

jog round the pitch.

Then do the first part again, in the opposite direction around the pitch.

Should take about 20 minutes and leaves you hanging if you're putting the effort in.

Or just find a running track and do 3 circuits of:

100m all out sprint, rest untill you feel recovered.
200m sprint, rest as above.
300sprint, rest " " "
400m sprint, " " ".

Works for me anyway. Just use your imagination andy5sm and make up routines depending on what terrain/training facilities are available to you.

atb

Blanio

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Trained with my cousin today...who was in RT for about 3 months.

He showed me some of the training they did...

If you're training with another person, go to your local field, one person does press ups whilst the other one sprints to an object (roughly around half a football pitch away) and then back. The idea is that the person doing press ups can't stop until the person sprinting gets back. They then change around. After you've both done the same exercise, just keep changing it...sit ups, squats, burpies etc etc.

This way you're sprint training and doing some strength training aswell - getting you ready for bottom field!

Trust me, it leaves you hanging out big time!

Daz-PRMC

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Briggfoot - yeah mate the jog is an active rest period, the idea is to complete the full amount of sets in as quick a time as possible

I'm actually off to do it in 10 mins so will report back... if I can type / breathe