Sprinting after Bunny Hops

pluckybrit

Reaction score
Recently I've been incorporating bunny hops, bear walks etc into my routine. One thing I have noticed is that particularly after doing bunny hops when I try to sprint, my legs feel like they're loaded down with concrete. This of course fades over time but during the 2 RMAD's I did the instructors would expect us to sprint straight after with no trouble. Everyone else seemed fine doing it except me.

Is this to be expected or is this abnormal? I'm concerned it may be compartment syndrome or something along those lines. Any help would be "hoofing".

stumpylegs

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Not a medical professional but you said "recently" meaning your body hasn't adjusted to them, bunny hops followed by sprints are horrid, it's not just you, keep doing them, they will get easier

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
Just do it more!! You probably need to get your fast twitch musles firing, so try doing explosive Excersises like jump squats and the like.

JTech

Reaction score
Bunny hops for me are the worst things I've came across. It's the only moment I thought I wouldn't last the PRMC, but dig deep and aslong as your sprinting as hard as you can the training team will see this.

Goodluck !

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
What are bunny hops? I've never come across them before. I tried googling them but get a few different exercises showing up.

JTech

Reaction score
What are bunny hops? I've never come across them before. I tried googling them but get a few different exercises showing up.

Squat right down "ass to grass" style with hands touching the floor and hop forward straight into the squat down part x100 -vomit--vomit-

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
OK thanks, so moving jumping squats essentially?

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
Recently I've been incorporating bunny hops, bear walks etc into my routine. One thing I have noticed is that particularly after doing bunny hops when I try to sprint, my legs feel like they're loaded down with concrete. This of course fades over time but during the 2 RMAD's I did the instructors would expect us to sprint straight after with no trouble. Everyone else seemed fine doing it except me.

Is this to be expected or is this abnormal? I'm concerned it may be compartment syndrome or something along those lines. Any help would be "hoofing".

What you've described is the exact reason they do bunny hops and bear crawls etc. They're breaking you down. Everyone hates them. But that's what tests your determination. Nobody will expect you to bunny hop 100m and then smash a sub 10 100m. It's not about that. It's about refusing to give up.

You may not have the endurance in the legs yet that's all. So smash your legs. Next time you go for a run, every 5 minutes stop and do 20 Squat jumps and then continue your run for example. Get used to burning your legs out while you run. It will help.